Josh Goes to Venezuela

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by ScootersNotBombs, Feb 14, 2016.

1. ScootersNotBombs

ScootersNotBombs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bunn102437-R1-059-28.jpg

Backroads fun times. One of my riding partners / fellow teacher on his KLR
    Baldimuir likes this.
  2. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Bunn102438-R1-025-11.jpg
    flei and Johnny Drunkard like this.
  3. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    LCtoMD.jpg
  4. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Getting work done before the trip 2018-3-20_OlympusEpicZoom_Lomography800_-R1-047-22.jpg
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Baldimuir

Baldimuir n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Everybody!
    I am the sometimes referenced "Trusted Teacher/Riding Buddy/Fellow Teacher" in this thread. Josh is off to greener pastures in EC next year, but I'm hanging around. New to ADV rider and rather inexperienced with Motos (off and on for ~15 years, but the Merida trip was my first multi-day). I'll be around to check posts, give updates or act as an in-country resource for people. Nice to meet y'all.
  6. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    welcome to ADV Baldimuir! Venezuela has loads of great motorcycling in the Andes as you’ve seen and also down in the Gran Sabana, hope you get to see a lot more of the wonderful country. Hope the situation improves and the country can make some changes for the better, the black market being an indicator of how out of control things have gotten.

I take it Josh is heading to Ecuador and getting out of VZ. I will get back there one of these days...
    Baldimuir likes this.
  7. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Yup!
  8. Baldimuir

Baldimuir n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey! Josh and I took a trip last Thursday back to a reservoir that haunted Josh for a while (He couldn't make it the first time he tried). It is the headwaters that feeds the river that runs through our city (Rio Neveri) and is about 50 miles from us (~13 or so dirt/off-roading). The drivers were atrocious in the city, but once we got onto the backroads the people were friendly and seemed excited just to see someone/something different.
    There was a security guard living in a shipping container who was happy to answer our questions and let us explore the reservoir. It acts as a water supply for the towns, villages, and cities nearby as well as to Margarita Island (which has had a lot of water issues in the last few years).
    Made it back to PLC no issues and went for a late lunch at a place near Josh's.

Attached Files:

ScootersNotBombs likes this.
  9. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of California’s reservoirs, low. VZ has some damn big hydro projects, had one of the top five in the World iirc.

So how long are you signed up for Baldimiur? The situation in PLC very good at all?
  10. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Hola!

A fellow inmate in Colombia asked me in PM about visiting V-Zilla. Here is my perspective as of 22-5-2018

Hey man!
    Venezuela is beautiful! It is full of amazing rainforests, beaches, rivers, cool cities, and friendly people. I am now in my second year of living and teaching here.
    The crime is not the major problem. The problem is money. Using an outside credit card has crazy fees and you exchange at what is called dicom. around $1 to 40,000 BsF. The blackmarket exchange rate that we all buy BsF (Venezuelan Bolivars) at is currently $1 to 820,000BsF. I just paid 4,000,000 for dinner for me and my girlfriend. An "illegal" $5 meal becomes $20, hahaha. Cash is almost impossible to get, as they can not print it fast enough (even though they try). We all use Venezuelan debit cards. The economy currently operates with cards and bank transfers. (Neither of which are terribly easy for a foreigner to do alone) The govt also just decided to chop off 3 zeros from the currency effective in June. It is a shit show to say the least! Just being honest. It takes knowing someone here, or a crap ton of credit card to make it worth it.

The Venezuelan -> Colombian border is also closed to driving traffic. Not sure about C->V. Everyone I have talked to has crossed at one of the Venezuela /Brazil borders. (Which involves going through the Gran Sabana (AMAZING)

With all that being said....
    If you want to visit, we can make it happen! I have now done a good bit of riding around here, and it is great! The whole place is really cheap too. $5 dollar motel rooms are easy, and $40 rooms in one of Caracas's nicest hotels (Eurobuilding) are sweet. Gas is 6 BsF a liter, which last time i calculated it was like $.0002 / gal. Fuel is the only thing we pay cash for. Motel rooms in the Andes (Merida State) for 10bucks. If you wanted to come, i could help set you up with a borrowed debit card. I could arrange transfers to get BsF on to it. We could get you some cash for gas. MANY places are taking cash dollars under the table, so that MIGHT work. I keep a few $1 bills on me for tips, unexpected problems, or bribes. I payed one bribe for evading the police, with no helmet, and no license, or paperwork (It cost me a 1/2 eaten pizza)

You can also fly in RELATIVELY easy and visit some RAD places. Flights from Bogota come direct to my city (Barcelona / Lecheria / Puerto La Cruize tri city area, haha) We could then set you up with a trip to Angel Falls, Margarita Island, Los Roques, Gran Sabana, etc. I also have a good Gringo friend who lives near Merida (Great riding in the Andes). Or from Caracas you can make to almost anyplace. We have drivers we pay in USD who will drive you anywhere.

Or, just fly in and buy my 2013 KLR for $2,000! It is set up and ready to go!

My gig here is up in mid June. I will be in the states (between Georgia and Wyoming) for the summer, then off to the new job in Quito come August.

My amigo Sandy (see post above) will still be here in the fall
    roadcapDen likes this.
  11. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Venezuela/Belize"......? Is that spell-check for "Brazil?"

Aside from that, good to hear how much things have changed since I was there (2010), along with how much remains similar or same.
  12. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    $1:820k b :eekers:eekers Unreal inflation and the government is chopping zeros. Vz needs some major help.
    ScootersNotBombs likes this.
  13. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    it is just a really long secret underground underwater tunnel :)
    Thanks, fixed!
  14. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Hi folks! Gringo leaving teaching job in Lecheria, Venezuela and selling my bike. $1500. 2013 KLR. around 15000 miles or so. Well maintained with lots of parts i brought from the states. Bike is in great shape mechanically, has some minor cosmetic faults. Clear title and registration in my name. I rode this thing cross country and on several little trips here. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Killer bike for a killer deal. chain, sprockets, rear pads all replaced in March. Top box, cover, and a couple of shitty helmets included.

I could help with the paperwork for a fly and ride situation

For the right price i could also set up with my xl Shoei helmet (new christmas 2017, Aerostich riding gear (i'm 5'9 185lbs), Wolfman rear bags, and Wolfman tankbag (keeps me from having to fly it home with me). More pics and info available if you want. Leaving in 2 weeks. If i don't sell it then i'm ghosting it off a cliff Quadrophenia style! I'll be damned if the cops get their hands on it.

Attached Files:

15. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    roadcapDen likes this.