Journal of my motography travels… (day trippin' the Sunshine State)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks nice Colby... I've used their shocks on my 4X4 builds back in the day before I got into motorcycle. Ocotillo Wells was my 4X4 playground.

Monday will be the Ranger's maiden voyage out...

As Eric said, they've got a great reputation... :thumb
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 14/15 Sept 2020

~ Plan of the Day (POD): Drive to Southern Idaho for some base camping...

Finally I was able to escape Southern California's heatwave and wildfires up and down the west coast. I wanted to spend some time up in the Pacific Northwest but even Oregon and Washington state is set ablaze right now.

I configured the Ranger for some base camping and this was the validation of the set-up and gear for future base camp adventures; both near and far... I've never hauled a bike in a hitch carrier and was apprehensive about carrying one for the first time. I had practiced loading/unloading a couple of times and drove around the neighborhood before the trip to give me that "warm and fuzzy..."

took off around 8am and did a final load check before hitting the interstate...
    1.jpg

it was weird listening to the radio in the comfort of my cage for a motography adventure...
    2.JPG

stopped in Ely, NV at the KOA campground but fire restrictions were under effect... so no campfires or steaks for dinner...
    3.jpg

short 6.5 hour drive to Mountain Home, ID; the site for my base camp...
    4.jpg

5.jpg

home for the next few days while I explore Southern Idaho...
    6.jpg

early enough for a proper meal; a grilled steak with baby bell peppers ,and a caesar salad...
    7.jpg

the rest of the evening was spent in front of the campfire slowly sipping on Japanese Sake... it was a good way to shed all that negativity with the heatwave and wildfires...
    8.jpeg

Tomorrow starts the motography adventure as I explore some nearby trails, roads, and points of interests...
    RJ44, BigDogRaven, Manny U and 23 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Start is looking great here!

The tent setup with the bike inside, is there any worry with bugs? That is for sleeping too?

Edit: this?

4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used that tent for Alaska and the flies/skeeters get in from underneath when it's closed up... I just spray the inside with bug spray and they scatter...

I have a couple of 8 foot collapsible poles that I can use to make an awning and open up the garage to let the breeze flow in when I want to hang in there for some shade...

It's meant for one but you can fit two... although it will be tight...
    Manny U, JRowland, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  5. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN! Thanks for sharing! Motography trips are indeed odd but an amazing amount of fun!
  6. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you were gonna take the XT?
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the Redverz Atacama and can sleep two comfortably and the capacity up to three... I have the Redverz Solo, it's little brother...

Welcome aboard Merf...

I took the Monkey instead for it's reputation for reliability since I was a couple of states away...

8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good choice to bring the monkey
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to take it... I was on a mission with more to follow...
  10. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 16 Sept 2020

~ POD: Honda Monkey vs. Trinity Mountain Lookout and Section 1 of the IDBDR...

It felt good to be back out on a motography adventure after some serious social distancing... it was getting old being cooped up in the house and only going out for the occasional errand here and there. So like a kid on Christmas morning, I woke up early knowing that I'd be going up to Trinity Mountain Lookout and riding on the IDBDR...

1.jpeg

First up was a hearty breakfast for energy on the trail... last time on the CABDR, I hardly ate and I was left "hangry"; I was not a happy camper... I prepped my food a couple of days prior by sealing individual meals in food saver bags, that way I could just tear into one portion and cook it as needed... I'm also evaluating my new cooking set to get away from dehydrated meals...

easy peasy fresh breakfast...
    2.jpg

Let's go...

US-20 headed to Castle Rock Rd... the smoke was dense from the wildfires and you can barely see the horizon...
    3.jpg

finally, some riding on Idaho trails... been through Idaho before but only asphalt...
    4.jpg

smoke filled hills and valleys...
    5.jpg

Castle Rock...
    6.jpg

7.jpg

after Castle Rock Rd, I headed north on NF-61... the road serpentines around the hills and it reminded me of riding on the coast highway up in Big Sur... some twisty goodness...

you can barely make out NF-61 in the middle of the photo and once I rounded that corner...
    8.jpg

it led me to Anderson Ranch Reservoir... it's HUUUGGGEEE...
    9.jpg

jowul, BigDogRaven, Manny U and 22 others like this.
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following with much anticipation on what's next Rudy!

All the best with the trip and exploration. Great country up that way!

When you get back & settle down, let us know, were setting up a Loco Moco date with Joel & kid Colby & whoever else??

Great travels brother.:ricky
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:

already back Sam... just spending time with the family, cleaning gear, the Monkey, and the truck...

will let you know...
  13. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    riding along the reservoir, I found an access road down to the water and I couldn't resist...
    10.jpg

there were remnants of camp sites all over down by the water... nice place to stay the next time for a night or two... 11.jpg

gas stop in Pine, decided to get the ethanol free stuff for the Monkey...
    12.jpg

The ride up NF-61 would have been nice if it weren't for all the smoke... pines trees lined the road and would have been a treat for the olfactory senses...

headed towards Featherville and to Trinity Mountain Rd...
    13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

ohhh yeah... off-road up to Trinity Mountain Lookout... groomed dirt trail until about half way up...
    16.jpg

switchbacks all over the place...
    17.jpg

The trail leading up to Trinity Mountain Lookout is long and filled with blind corners. It's two way traffic and there were SxS coming down so I had to slow down at the corners. The trail serpentines back and forth as the trail climbs turning from smooth hard packed dirt to loose dirt and rocks..

rocks and ruts starts to rear their ugly heads
    18.jpg
    jowul, JRowland, Muscongus and 17 others like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I made my way up, I ran across campers nestled under the shade of the tall pines. I started saying to myself how Idaho has got outdoor activities right in these parts... I ran across many day use and designated campground...

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

almost there...
    22.jpg

23.jpg

the gate that leads up to the lookout...
    24.jpg

this is from ridebdr.com: "***Warning*** The ride to the Trinity Lookout Tower is for experts only. It is an optional alternate on the IDBDR. What you see from the gate is a great example of what the road is like all the way to the top. There are loose rocks and a handful of tight switchbacks."
    25.jpg

sadly this is as far as the Monkey can muster... the stock street rubber with its 9 hp max didn't have enough giddy up and go... it kept stalling so I tried walking the Monkey up under power but I was not willing to walk it all the way... I was tuckered out just going about 50 yards with that incline...

sad little Monkey...

26.jpg

I walked down to get a pic of the location and I was huffing and puffing walking back up to the Monkey...

27.jpg

I didn't feel like burning out the clutch on the Monkey and risk the rest of my plans so I called it a day on the Mountain, instead I decided to turn my attention to Section 1 of the IDBDR back to Mountain Home... (@rickj)
    jowul, Manny U, JRowland and 18 others like this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the sign earlier.

What a place!

You think some knobbier tires would see you through to the top?
  16. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think so Brian, it's more of a horsepower issue... I tried revving the Monkey's engine to get more power at start and it still kept stalling soon after take off... that's when I walked it up for a few yards but the squeeze was not worth the juice... I was getting a workout walking the Monkey up...

The XT-250 would have been a better tool for this section...
    Manny U, JRowland, Wierdrider and 6 others like this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Have you done the countershaft sprocket -1 like many do?
    dp064, Dirt Road Cowboy and black 8 like this.
  18. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did that mod earlier this year...
    dp064, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    This is crushing my dreams a little!

Wondering what it would take to make the bike climb at altitude short of a turbo.
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about installing this mod for the Monkey to give it some oomph...

but I'll probably say goodbye to the Monkey when the Hunter Cub 125 comes out or a TW200 next year...

I have to remember the Monkey's limitations, it wasn't meant for what I'm putting it through but it's fun as heck doing it!
    jowul, B10Dave, Hannda and 9 others like this.