Journal of my motography travels… (Home for the Holidays)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wait wait wait

inline speed skating?! TRAINING?!? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!!
    Wierdrider, Manny U, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    And when not training lettin loose
    71ABB244-AB59-47BF-ACD8-39AB8361BDB0.jpeg
    Wierdrider, dp064, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; for your day trip planning might I suggest a nice route. From Kissimmee take 192 west to 27 north to 50 west. Stay on 50 to Brooksville. There is an old railroad station there that is a museum but I don't know the hours. Continue on 50 west and it is called Cortez Blvd. Just past the Aldi on your right hand side is Marker 48 Brewing. Great place to grab a six pack to take home. Excellent beer. Also the BBQ food truck might be open out front. Super food there. Continue west to the intersection of 19N and turn right. Stay on 19 til it turns into 98and continue north up through Crystal River. You will pass Gulf Hammock where there is an old steam locomotive on the west side of the road in a small parkette. North of that you come to Otter Creek and the intersection of road 24. Take that west about 20 miles to Cedar Key. Neat little town with a unique business area and fishing/ lookout pier. There are numerous ways for you to get back over to 27/441 to go back south to home. If you get to Micanopy just off 441 north of Ocala it has a neat "old Florida" downtown area and on the highway is Pearl's store and BBQ. Great brisket or pork or chicken sandwiches. Have fun daytripping in between your " Mom's to do" list items. Take lots of pictures for those of us who can't come to Florida this winter.
    jowul, Wierdrider, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. Fruit boots and the like.

The most difficult sport, IMO. From a former hockey player.

In case you haven't seen what's up:

jowul, Wierdrider, Manny U and 3 others like this.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get the sport, I can’t picture YOU doing that
    jowul, Manny U, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd still be doing it if it wasn't destroying my feet.

Thousands of dollars in custom made carbon fiber boots and my feet would look like ground pork after a marathon.

Awesome sport. Loved smoking the bicyclists around Central Park before they started putting up speed traps.

The good old days...

Sorry Rudy. Always getting on a tangent.
    jowul, Wierdrider, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Dave, I'll surely check it out...

No worries Brian... I enjoy the friendly banter and I learn a bit more about Chillis...
    Wierdrider, Manny U, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; also reach out to Gingerbeard (Dave). He lives in south Fla. but is very up on all of central Fla. both on and off pavement.
    Wierdrider, black 8, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Off pavement, in FL? You mean sugar sand, right? Better shop for that TW200!
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Will do Dave...

I saw that Brian.

I've been reading ride reports in the Coming to Florida? Have a Question thread and saw a lot of silty sand, mud, and swamps. Even though I've taken the Duc to the Racetrack Playa in DV, I have no interest in taking a 560lb bike in sand and mud here...
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

This has been an absolutely fantastic and inspirational read!

If you are planning to do some FL riding, please don't hesitate to reach out to me for suggestions ,gpx files or getting together for a ride. :freaky
    B10Dave, Wierdrider, Manny U and 5 others like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, I really enjoyed your last RR "Before it gets too cold!!..." I'll send ya' a PM once I'm done with most of my mom's projects around the house.

Rudy
  13. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy,
    I'm all caught up now, glad to see your trip to FL went smooth on the Duc and your with the parents now. I am curious though, your Giant Loop bags and gear sure looked nice and compact. Are you doing the wash your skivvies every other day or did ya keep some gear at their place beforehand? Anyway, enjoy the warm weather, it looks like a nice place to be this time of year! :jkam Already hitting those -25F and below temps up here...
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Wow -25℉... plug in that engine block heater for sure.

The load out in the GL bags is geared for any long distance ride so I can live off the bike for extended periods. I'm using it as a shakedown ride for Alaska when the Canadian Border Services Agency opens for general travel instead of just essential travel only. I did send a large flat rate box with casual wear and workout clothes ahead of time.

Everything inside the GL bags are packed in cube bags for easy unpacking/repacking. Here's is breakdown of the bags:

Packing list.jpg
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Thanks Rudy!

That was a fun, albeit short, trip. My plan is to head west (NM,AZ,NV,UT) in the spring of 2021 for 3-4 weeks.

Good luck with the home repairs. Look forward to the p.m.

Dave
    B10Dave, Chillis, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  16. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along and giving us a history lesson along the way Rudy. Glad you made it safe, and are with your parents. Enjoy your time with them.
    Your list up above is really nice, I wish my brain was that organized!
    :beer
    Manny U, dp064, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim...

The list is for my own peace of mind so I don't go tearing through the bags looking for a certain widget... less work load for my noggin. I just look at the list to see where a certain widget is packed.

For now there's no riding and all work has stopped with Eta coming up from Cuba. She's projected to hit the southern and western portion of Florida. We've been getting some good winds lately and the thunderstorms will come next week as she gets closer.

c'est la vie...

Manny U, get-a-grip, dp064 and 8 others like this.
  18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 16 Nov 2020

~ Fortuitous twist of fate and good karma...

~ POD: Ride @B10Dave's route recommendation, get some beer, and eat BBQ brisket...

While Eta was making landfall in Florida, I was doing a map recce of Dave's recommendation for a day trip around central Florida. I prepped the Duc over the weekend since the following week called for mild temperatures and some clouds that will help to stave off some of the heat. I left early this morning around 7:00 am knowing that I'd be gone most of the day...

this is my favorite road leading out of Solivita... the road was still and quite since I left right at sunrise...
    1.jpeg

ludicrous speed as Win puts it... a typical Florida country road with trees lining both sides...
    2.jpeg

even managed to find a trail to see what the dirt was made of; beach sand really...
    3.jpeg

construction along Cortez Blvd...
    4.jpeg

5.jpeg

When I got to Spring Hill, I spotted the Aldi Dave told me about and sure enough Marker 48 Brewing was just a block away. I pulled into the parking lot so I could buy a couple of beers to bring home. While walking up to the doors I saw three people taking down an awning in front of the building and one of them asks me "Can I help you?" I said one of my friends from Canada recommended that I stop at Marker 48 Brewing to try out their beers since I was visiting from California. The guy with the beard says they're closed Mondays and Tuesdays so they won't open back up until Wednesday. They were just cleaning up from the weekend's 5th year celebration. I told him thanks and as I turned around, the guy with the beard says hold on and runs into the building. He came out with a four pack and said "if a guy rides all the way from California, he deserve a free four pack..." I told him thanks, shook his hand, and asked his name; "Maurice" he says and I reply "Rudy" I went back to the bike and got the first photo with the bike. Then one of the other guys was putting away the legs to the awning and I asked him who Maurice was and he says he's the owner... ding ding ding... so I wait for a while until they get the awning down and I asked Maurice for a photo with the bike and beer. He ups me one by calling one of the guys over to take a photo of both of us in front of the bike...

6.jpg

Maurice and I at Marker 48 Brewing...
    7.jpg

back on the road... the GoPro in manual shutter mode for ludicrous speed... not willing to try plaid speed anytime soon...
    8.jpeg

GoPro in auto mode looking like a still shot even though I'm going 65 mph...
    9.jpeg
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    sealsam, dp064, villageidiot and 3 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Hope the beer is good!

A reason to go back to try brisket.
    Manny U, sealsam, Wierdrider and 4 others like this.