Journal of my motography travels… (Home for the Holidays)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    the Patterson-McInnis Train off US-98 just prior to Otter Creek...
    10.jpeg

riding into Cedar Key...
    11.jpeg

12.jpg

13.jpg

love these old school buildings...
    14.jpeg

15.jpeg

after Cedar Key, I headed over to Micanopy for Pearl's Country Store & BBQ for some brisket with potato salad and mac'n cheese...
    16.jpeg

all fueled up it was time to head back down south...
    17.jpeg

387 miles logged as the sun was setting in Kissimmee...
    18.jpeg

As for the fortuitous twist of fate... I'm headed back to SoCal this Thursday with my parents. My mom said she's been wanting to drive cross country and since I'm already here, I can help drive cuz; 1) they've got cabin fever and want to get away, 2) visit one of their oldest friends in National City one last time, and 3) she didn't want Mrs. B8 and the kids alone for the holidays.

Looks like my next post will be on home turf...

I'll leave the Duc in Florida so whenever we get back I can make a run to Key West before heading back for either an Alaskan migration or a ramble up along the east coast...

:beer
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s great. Your folks will love the trip I’m sure.
    Manny U, sealsam, Wierdrider and 4 others like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    For sure... they’ve been cooped up inside the retirement community and are aching to get away and see something different...

I booked us suites at guv'ment lodging as we head west to limit interaction with the masses and we're bringin' all sorts of PPE/disinfectant to mitigate some of the risks... No dining out for sure; all to go and eat in our suites....
  4. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome Rudy, but the important question,
    How was the beer?
    sealsam, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  5. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Rudy; always nice to have bikes stashed around... :photog
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I've tasted brisket throughout my travels and nothing compares to Backwoods BBQ in Fredericksburg, TX thus far...

I'm saving it for when I grill some prime cut steaks next week...

Thanks Mike...
    Manny U, dp064, villageidiot and 6 others like this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great road trip Rudy. I just did something like that on a much smaller scale. I drove my Mom and wife up to Delina for lunch on Sunday and showed them some of the beautiful area I get to see often on my bikes. While caging is not as fun as riding, it's still a fun way to show places to those who don't ride. I'm sure your parents will love seeing the country with you driving and that will make it fun for you. I hope you take some pics and let us know how the trip went.
    dp064, Wierdrider, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photo's Rudy!

Very cool of Maurice of Marker 48, good small business man paying attention to the details, whether he's open or not.

All the best on that westbound. Cherish each moment with the parents!
    dp064, Wierdrider, black 8 and 8 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you enjoyed that day trip Rudy. You parked in the same spot in Cedar Key that my BMW occupied last March. Have a good trip home with your parents. My bet is that it will be an awesome one.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Win. My mom has been binge watching a lot of the Travel and Food Channel lately so it's time for them to scratch that travel itch. My mom already said we're stopping at Cafe' Du Monde in Covington, LA for some beignets so we don't have to go through downtown New Orleans. Then we're going to shoot up north and hit some of Route-66...

Thanks Sam. My stop at Marker 48 Brewing set the tone for the the rest of the ride. I was all smiles after that.

Will definitely make the most out of my time with my parents...

Thanks for the route recommendation Dave.

I did enjoy the ride and seeing something new other than Kissimmee and Orlando. One thing the east coast has is an abundance of old architecture and historical communities like Micanopy. I modified the route a little traveling on Country Route 33 instead of US-27 headed north to cut down some of the traffic lights. I noticed a lot of cracker style architecture with rocking chairs on the porch... old school for sure instead of the newer subdivisions popping up all over the place.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    If all goes well I will be riding to FL to take in a day or two of Daytona Beach Bike week so I'm watching what you are doing if FL just in case I spot some things that are must dos while I'm in FL. Right now there is Bike Week, an airboat ride in the Everglades, and a ride out to Key West.
    Manny U, Wierdrider, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice plan LB... :thumb

Same here, I'll likely head down to Key West in early to mid-February before the temps start to climb up to the 80s. Then make a day trip to Daytona Bike Week so I can finally see what all the hoopla is all about. Should be fun...

:beer
  13. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics. How was Cedar Key? They got a direct hit a couple years back and I thought it was reallllly hurt but I suppose they build fast. I know Keaton is still a wreck after Michael but maybe the storm I'm thinking of wasn't as bad as the news made it out to be.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Cedar Key was a great community to visit; it’s small laid back. I spent most of my time on Dock Street by the waterfront walking around and then over to 2nd Street to see the historic buildings... I didn’t see any damage from Eta but there is construction going on a new bridge to Dock Street I think...
    B10Dave, Manny U, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  15. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well now I'm going to have to go down there here soon. lol
    black 8 and Chillis like this.