Journal of my motography travels… (Home for the Holidays)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ nos·tal·gia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past…

I grew up watching old classic movies in Long Island, NY like; “The Road…” movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, Abbott and Costello , and the like when times were much simpler… During that era, American GIs were just getting back from the War and took out their pent-up manly urges on theirs wives and girlfriends thus helping to create the “baby boom” from 1946 to about 1964. At the height of the baby boom, a child was born every 7 seconds or just over 4 million per year… Everything was booming at that time; babies, manufacturing, jobs, and housing developments just to keep up with demand. In fact, when I first met Mrs. B8, she lived in the next town over in the post-war community called Levittown, NY… The American Dream was born where everyone sought; a job, a house in the suburbs, 2.5 kids, and a car. Americans became more mobile and exercised their new found freedom during the car culture of the 50s. To help feed this car phenomenon; service stations, drive ins, eateries, mom and pop motels were built along motorways. This leads me to Historic Route-66; a journey in nostalgia…

I didn't want to deal with LA traffic riding Route-66 from Santa Monica so I went to the start of the AZ portion headed to Oatman...
    28.jpg

the climb up to Oatman...
    29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

downtown Oatman...
    33.jpg

34.jpg

some Oatman residents... 35.jpg

36.jpg
    jowul, Manny U, popscycle and 13 others like this.
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those statues of the Asses almost look real:dhorse
    dp064, sealsam, black 8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit of a history buff and love seeing old gas stations, run down buildings... come to think of it, most adventure riders are intrigued by them as well taking photos of the same. These old remnants must hold tons of secrets and you'd never know it unless you talk to some locals or do a little bit of googling...

the view heading out of Oatman...
    37.jpg

there are memorials strewn all over Sitgreaves Pass...
    38.jpg

coming down the backside, you'll run into Cool Springs Station...
    39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

coming down Sitgreaves Pass will lead you to Kingman... funny story; the wife and I came through here in 1989 and stayed overnight on our way to LAX for a flight out to
    Hawaii. I asked the wife what she wanted to eat and her reply was "Chinese food..." :scratch :loco not southwestern cuisine, or steak, or something, but Chinese food... needless to say back then it was NOT what we were used to coming from the east coast. To this day every time we pass through Kingman, AZ I ask Mrs. B8 if she wants Chinese food...
    42.jpg

43.jpg

finishing the day at Hackberry General Store on Route-66...
    44.jpg

45.jpg

After taking my last photo at Hackberry, I had another 60 mile ride until I made camp at Seligman...
    jowul, Manny U, Ginger Beard and 15 others like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are some really awesome pics Rudy:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Thanks Jim... you're right about the asses, while waiting to take that photo, a truck was turning in that corner and they did not move at all... the truck had to maneuver around them... I guess they're used to traffic as permanent residents of Oatman...
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Win..

Last time I visited my parents, I "hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle" along the I-10 corridor to Florida on the way out so I decided to make some memories this time...
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    good stuff here Rudy, i have ridden most of that thus far on old bmw airheads with 2 great friends..... ill show ya the book sometime.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Colby, sounds like lunch with a chicken fajita super nacho... :dukegirl
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they day ends with Y it must be super nachos

E7A12C7E-6A68-4114-AA62-2BEBF50C0458.jpeg
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 21 Oct 2020

~ POD: Weave in and out of Route-66 on my way to Albuquerque...

I made camp last night at the Seligman KOA located at the edge of town and it was not the greatest place to make camp for the evening. My tent site was close to Route-66 itself so I heard road traffic throughout the night. On the opposite side of the campground was the railroad tracks so the trains were running late into the night. First world problems I know :lol3... but still part of the whole road trip experience. If everything went well, there would be no conversations that starts with "remember the time when..."

my internal clock woke me up at around 5:30am so I started getting ready for the day, I even had enough time to catch the sunrise...
    1.jpg

2.jpg

Progress is a double edged sword... with more Americans buying cars to commute and using them on the weekends to explore the countryside, the need to improve the National Highway System became more apparent. The enactment of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1954 helped to seal the fate of Route-66 and others. As the Interstate Highway System began to take shape, the smaller communities were bypassed in favor of the more bigger urban areas as destination stops. The smaller towns slowly withered away or simply forgotten...

Ash Fork, AZ... also know as the Flagstone Capital of the World...
    5.jpeg

4.jpeg

3.jpeg

Route-66 is slowly withering away... better get on it before it all disappears...
    6.jpg

Williams, AZ... Gateway to the Grand Canyon and has the distinction of being the last town bypassed by the new highway in 1980...
    7.jpg

8.jpg

some towns do a better job of capitalizing on the Route-66 theme than others...
    9.jpg

jowul, Manny U, Ginger Beard and 12 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Twin Arrows, AZ... one of the businesses that didn't survive the National Highway System...
    10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg
    jowul, Wierdrider, Manny U and 15 others like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    headed to the historic district of Winslow, AZ... to put a check on a bucket list item...
    19.jpg

"Standin' on the Corner"
    20.jpg

“Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine site to see - It’s a girl my Lord in a flat bed Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me …” ~ The Eagles
    22.jpg

21.jpg

next was Flagstaff... downtown wasn't for me with all the urban traffic even though Route-66 went through...
    23.jpg

24.jpg

back on the Interstate...
    25.jpg

then back on Mainstreet USA...
    26.jpg

finally made camp at Albuquerque, NM after a long day on the saddle...
    27.jpg

The northern route was a no brainer because of the cooler weather as compared to the I-10 corridor... That and it makes for better sleeping since I'll be camping to limit my exposure to the virus so I don't infect my parents when I get to Kissimmee... Although I've been chasing my shadow for the last two days, I'm having fun motographing my way along Route-66 and discovering nuggets I missed in my 2018 Route-66 ride.
    jowul, Wierdrider, Manny U and 9 others like this.
  13. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm enjoying your ride on parts of RT66 since I plan on riding as much of it as I can find in late spring 2021. Right now I'm reading about the route and the towns along Rt66. Luckily I have all winter for plotting my route since I keep finding interesting history that takes me to other interesting history and it takes a while for me to get back to reading about Rt66.

I'm taking notes on what you are seeing since it is current. Keep the good stuff coming.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks LB...

I rode Route-66 headed east to west in 2018. Here's my RR and starts at post # 235. I bypassed places like Holbrook, Gallup, Adrian, Alanreed, Elk City this go around since I visited them before.
    Manny U, dp064, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  15. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy, sorry you hit the traffic in Flagstaff. My little Mountain town, ain’t so little anymore. I doubt you will come back through this way on your way home as winter should be here soon. PM me if you're ever back this way and I’ll bend your ear with history of Twin Arrows and Two Guns. Flagstaff also was also quite the rip roaring town back in the day. Tunnels under the streets down town, which the Asian locals used to travel around town. As they were blamed for burning down the town. Which occurred many times with wooden side walks and buildings. I’m sure the local Cowboys and others that frequented the many bars and brothels had nothing to do with it.
    Sorry for the Hi-Jack, have a safe and wonderful trip. That Ducati is a beautiful bike, take care.
    Tim
    Manny U, B10Dave, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim, that would be nice to hear a bit of history...

Flagstaff was night and day compared to the bypass towns... I saw little of Route-66 except for the Lumberjack, an old motel across the way, the closed restaurant with the Route-66 mural next to the Lumberjack, and the train station...

I did ride through the historic district but the signs posted on the side streets pointed back to the main rd for Route-66...
    _DSC7084_00007.jpg
    jowul, Manny U, Ginger Beard and 10 others like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great photos and great memories. A riding buddy and I once checked into a motel in Seligman and what they didn't tell us was that the cross country rail line passed by our bathroom window with what seemed about 3 yards to spare. We had a 5 on the richter scale about every 20 minutes all night long. Don't even get me started on Winslow. :lol3
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you for the link to your other ride report. Sadly I missed it when you originally wrote it and I'm happy I get to read it now. :clap
    Chillis, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    :y0! and there it is... "remember the time when..."

I'm telling' ya - it's all part of the road trip experience to recount at a later time...
    jowul, Wierdrider, Manny U and 8 others like this.
  20. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 22 Oct 2020

~ POD: Make my way to Lake El Reno Campgrounds in OK while stopping at Route-66 nuggets that I missed in 2018...

I was on the road early today knowing that I'd lose another hour crossing a time zone in Texas. Today would be more focused on getting to the campground before dark due to the time change...

catching the sunrise headed out of Albuquerque...
    1.jpg

quick stop to check the oil and lube the chain...
    2.jpg

once I got up on the high plains, the winds started kicking up pushing the Duc sideways with the wind gusts...
    3.jpg

4.jpg

the Mother Road in the high plains of New Mexico...
    5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    jowul, Wierdrider, Manny U and 13 others like this.