1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Journal of my motography travels… (Prelude to Alaska 2021 or an East Coast Ramble?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    pavement ends at Pothole Rd that's lined with grass fields... the water truck had just watered the trail to keep dust to a minimum...
    10.jpg

headed deeper into the IDBDR... the trail is mainly hard packed gravel and will shake the sh!t out of the bike (at least the Monkey with its 4" of travel)
    11.jpg

looking back at Pothole Rd... loose gravel and dirt...
    12.jpg

13.jpg

This was the reason I brought along the Monkey for this adventure... the Monkey was newer than the XT-250 and I wanted the reliability while out in the middle of nowhere...

in the middle of the big empty...
    14.jpg

absolutely nothing out here...
    15.jpg

16.jpg

just me and free range bovine... I had to beep my horn on multiple occasions to get them to move...
    17.jpg

18.jpg
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FIXT
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    32 miles on Pothole Rd onto Clover 3 Creek Rd... still 41 miles to go until I hit Three Creek Hwy...
    19.jpg

20.jpg

an oasis in the middle of nowhere... must be getting close back to civilization...
    21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

almost there...
    24.jpg

25.jpg

After getting off Section 1, I was ready for a change of pace and different scenery. I wanted to ride a remote road and enjoy a leisurely ride along the countryside... Three Creek highway seems to fill that bill...

Three Creek Hwy...
    26.jpg

really nice house out here...
    27.jpg
  4. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe he found some good stuff in the mine behind his house!
    JRowland, sealsam, Wierdrider and 3 others like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I had Three Creek Hwy all to myself which meant that I could just take my time without worrying about a cage speeding up behind me...the Monkey was in her happy zone of about 45/50 mph...

28.jpg

love riding through rustic countrysides...
    29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

virgin asphalt on Three Creek Hwy...
    35.jpg

a wildfire off in the distance creating all this smoke...
    36.jpg
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir near Rogerson, ID...
    37.jpg

Salmon Falls Creek Dam...
    38.jpg

After fueling at Rogerson, it was a straight shot up US-93 to Twins Fall, ID in search of Evel Knievel's jump site...

"On September 8, 1974, with much media fanfare, daredevil Evel Knievel tried and failed to leap the mile-wide chasm of the Snake River Canyon on his specially engineered rocket motorcycle. His drogue parachute malfunctioned and opened on take-off. Evel and his contraption floated to the bottom of the canyon, landing on the riverbank directly below his launch ramp..."

I tried riding to the jump site but there were multiple signs that stated "Private Property or No Trespassing..." on the road that led to it. I guess the locals are sick of visitors driving to the jump site. I was able to get a glimpse of the jump site at a walkway along the canyon's edge... However, there is a walking path that allows access to the jump site but it was a three mile walk in and three miles out. I didn't feel like hiking the six miles with my moto gear in mid-90s temps nor was I comfortable leaving the Monkey and my gear in a parking lot...

the Snake River Canyon where you can see Evel Knievel's ramp on the right side...
    39.jpg

zoomed view...
    40.jpg

afterwards I hopped on Old US-30 back towards Mountain Home...
    41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

It had been a long day with almost 300 miles on the Monkey today but well worth it riding the big empty, seeing rustic landscapes, and finding virgin asphalt... it was good getting back to camp and grabbing a cold drink from the cooler. After taking care of the Monkey and getting gear put away, it was time for dinner...

something different for tonight... sweet Italian sausage with mini bell peppers to go with pasta...
    44.jpg

45.jpg

The rest of my plan was to break camp and set-up in Stanley, ID for some motography. I decided to break contact and head home instead after seeing the wildfires from Three Creek Hwy spewing smoke in that direction. I intend to come back anyway to ride Anderson Ranch Reservoir again so I might as well wait till then when the smoke clears...

The rest of the evening was spent packing up for departure in the morning. It was an uneventful drive back home, one that I was glad to drive instead of ride due to the high temps through the deserts...

I had some take away lessons for my first time base camping; what/what not to bring, tested some new glamping gear, and so forth... procedures and gear to be refined the next time out...

I'm already looking forward to my next trip to explore Idaho...

:beer
  7. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What tire pressure are you running on those "fluffy" tires on the bumpier stuff, or just one pressure all the time.
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I was runnin' 28 psi since I had a mix of dirt and asphalt...

I was cognizant of the fact the Monkey has cast wheels so I picked my line and stayed below 30 mph however, I was running above 40 mph on the groomed trails...
  9. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Great report, thanks for sharing. Too bad about the smoke - it has finally cleared out around here with cool temps and some rain, what a relief.

I understand that people want what they want but where could the Hunter Cub/CT 125 go that the Monkey can't? Same engine other than the auto clutch on the CT125, CT weighs ~30+ pounds more than the Monkey. A TW200 can go almost anywhere and not much heavier than the CT125. I put a few thousand miles on one and liked it but didn't love it. To me the new CT125 is more of a C125 styling exercise rather than a substantive heir to the old CT90/110 throne. Announcement of the CT125 doesn't seem to have cut asking prices for the old CTs, they are higher than ever. I'm still hoping to get some riding in this fall before the rain, cold and higher elevation snow sets in.
  10. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice trip and RR Rudy, thanks again for taking us along. I’m sure you’re gonna tell us about the tweaks to your glamping gear right?
    Did you ever pass another vehicle? It looked like you had the whole trip to your self.:clap
    sealsam, dp064, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    In a nutshell, I'm after the 17" spoked wheels more than anything on the Hunter Cub... that and the big @ss rear rack to haul stuff and attach a single pannier for longer adventures... I have no delusions about the 125's capabilities, the Monkey and the Hunter Cub practically have the same specs but for the 17" spoke wheels. IMHO the Hunter Cub's 17s would be much better than Monkey's 12" cast wheels off road. I'm weary that I might crack the cast wheels while off-road.

I'm taking a platform somewhere the designers probably never intended for it to go. Sure I can jump up to a TW200 and get better capabilities but then it would take the fun out of the whole exercise... something about off roading a little bike that puts a smile on my face every time. It just wouldn't be the same with a 200+ cc bike... I know, first world problems right...

If I had a Hunter Cub in hand right now, I'd be getting that thing ready for a ride up to Alaska next year. That's just me, I like to haze myself and take the path less traveled...

Hope that explains my thought process...

Thanks Jim,

I meant to take a photo of my cargo management solution, luckily I haven't unloaded it yet so I still have a chance...

Yes and no... there were SxS coming down Trinity Mountain and other traffic on the US routes that I was on but once I was on the IDBDR and Three Creek Highway, I was all by my lonesome...

12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is definitely a difference between Monkey, Super Cub, and CT125.

The CT125 comes with longer travel suspension and adjustable ergos compared to the Super Cub. Plus lower gearing from the start and engine tuning with more bottom end grunt(Rudy's Monkey (that sounds funny) was having issues from a start at altitude on a grade in dirt).

More fuel capacity stock than Super Cub, 70% further range. Longer travel suspension, spoked wheels, kickstart back up, huge rack that can handle weight. Easier access to mechanicals, less stuff to break.

Many reasons to use the CT.

Personally, I wouldn't consider an older model. I'd only take the newer tech.
  13. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    @black 8, I like that you are taking the Monkey places other people wouldn't. It's fun to do things differently than most people. Keep it coming.
  14. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    You said huge rack! :lol3
  15. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black 8, do you have a link to the maps you used besides BDR? If all goes well I'll be in the John Day area in the next week or two for a few day bicycle ride, I might drag an old CT along. It is only ~200 miles to Mountain Home from John Day and an easy I-84 drive back home after checking it out.
    Wierdrider, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Jim, here's my cargo management solution instead of buying a Decked Storage System at nearly $1,500.00...

Instead, storage totes from Costco and a used cargo net I bought from eBay...

everything stowed...
    1.jpg

2X for wood, 2X five gallon jugs of water, camping gear tote, moto gear tote, rocking chair, rotomolded cooler, Redverz Solo, and a sand mat...
    2.jpg

this ice hasn't been touched since Thursday evening and has been in the back of the truck since then... glad to know that I'll have cold beverages after a long day of riding... even after 4 days of being left out in 90+ ℉...
    3.jpg

Thanks Ladybug...

With the Monkey I just point and go to have fun... not so much with bigger/heavier bikes like my R1200GSA worrying about picking up a 540 lbs moto or tall seat height in off-camber situation...

Here's my GPX file I used for my trip... let me know if that works for you...

Attached Files:

17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a kid we used to go to Anderson and snag Kokanee salmon during the run. You could almost walk across the water on their backs it was so thick with them. Thanks for the memories brother.
  18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm just barely scratching the surface exploring Idaho and the neighboring states...

I had planned for several days but the wildfires in Oregon and Washington put a Kibosh on my plans so I opted just for quick recce and I liked what I found...

You know me... I always keep going back at least once a year...
    JRowland, Wierdrider, Zubb and 7 others like this.
  19. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Since you had said you considered solar, I was curious it you'd considered a panel, power supply and a small refrigerator. No reason to complicate things though when you have a cooler that works that well!
    Don
  20. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I own a 120W solar panel and a 500wh solar generator (power station) mostly for charging my computer, cell, drone batteries, and camping lights. I never gave a small fridge any thought, instead I went with a rotomolded cooler to keep it simple; one less thing to fail. That's my set-up when base camping.

For moto-adventures, I have a folding 60W solar panel about the size of a hard bound novel and a compact 166wh solar generator to pull the same duty when I'm camping with the bike. Before I relied on plugging my stuff at McD's while I ate or at a Tim Horton's to update live RR but it's harder these days to find a plug-in source due to in-dining restrictions. So I decided to be self-reliant for power while living off the bike...

Rudy