1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Journal of my motography travels… (Prelude to Alaska 2021 or an East Coast Ramble?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I've got my America the Beautiful National Parks Pass and California State Parks Pass... they definitely make a difference in the entrance/camping fees...

Same applies with my Vons/Safeway/Albertsons cards when I restock supplies while on the road...

2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 24 Sept 2020

~ Plan of the Day (POD): Ride local trails at South Main Divide, Los Alamos & Tenaja Truck Trail, and up to Margarita Peak...

One of the reasons I stay in Oceanside is for the awesome riding opportunities... one minute I'm ridin' along the PCH and about 20 minutes inland you're in Fallbrook up in the hills. I wanted more trail riding today so I thought I would finally ride S Main Divide, Los Alamos Truck Trail, Tenaja Truck Trail, and tackle Margarita Peak... there is a lookout up there that I wanted to check it out...

today's route...
    1.jpg

Oceanside's Harbor Drive...
    2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I wanted to stay off highways as much as possible so I took CA-76 to Bonsall so I could connect to Historic Old US-395...
    7.jpg

Fallbrook, CA...

8.jpg

9.jpg
  3. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bet you had a great time! I never found much dirt off the Main Divide, but then again, I had no map or route in the GPS, just floundered around, it was great. Steve
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I didn't carry a lot of speed going through Sandia Creek Drive in DeLuz... I just wanted a leisurely pace through the countryside and enjoy the fall weather. I'm not in a hurry these days since all I've got to do today was enjoy the day on the bike. I'm really looking forward to the mild fall and winter weather as we head into October and November...

easy peasy pace through the countryside...
    10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

headed up to The Lookout Road House...
    13.jpg

14.jpg

FRACKKKKKKK!!!!
    15.jpg

16.jpg

I wasn't expecting the Cleveland National Forest to be closed due to Extreme Fire Danger and I was bummed. By extension, I've got to assume that other trailheads are closed until the Fire Danger is downgraded... so on to plan B; ride CA-74 (Ortega Hwy) back home...

some parting shots on top of South Main Divide...
    18.jpg

17.jpg
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try another day Steve... the fire danger was too high and Cleveland National Forest was closed...
    B10Dave, sealsam, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    plan B...
    19.jpg

I picked up the pace since I was in the lead with a few cages lined up behind me. I wanted to maintain the lead as we headed into the curves and switchbacks so the cages wouldn't would slow me down as we headed through Ortega Hwy...

braaaaappppp...
    20.jpg

it's all downhill from here...
    21.jpg

:ricky
    22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

and just like that, back on the super slab headed home...
    27.jpg

I was soooo looking forward to getting back out on the trails however, with the Extreme Fire Danger it looks like I'll have to wait until it cools down or wait for some precipitation...

That's OK, I haven't ridden along the coast in some time with the heatwave we've been having... it'll give me a chance to do something different in SoCal...

:beer
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear ya on the trail closures. Everything I've checked on this week is closed closed closed. So I'm doing the ol' standby Otay Mtn TT with a bit of 94/Honey Springs/Alpine afterwards. If you wake up this morning and can't decide what to do today, meet me a dozen of my closest friends at the dealership at 9am on your babyG, GS or the big Enduro.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yup... Emergency Fire Closure, Regional Order 20-12 posted at South Main Divide was effective from 15-21 Sept 2020 but was extended by Regional Order 20-17 until 30 Sept 2020. I hope it doesn't get extended again... I made the mistake of taking it for granted given the trails were open in Idaho as compared to California... now I know to check out the Forest Service website before I head out that away...

Thanks for the offer Kelly... I have shopping errands with the family today since coming back from Idaho...

Talking about Otay Mountain Truck Trail... I was up there almost two years ago to the day with Gary Orr and Motorcyclist of San Diego for a group ride. It is pretty up there and will have to plan a big ole' loop as it gets cooler...

1.jpg

2.jpg

9. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well hopefully it cools down for you soon so we can get some good action shots of you and the ol XT off in the hills on dirt adventures :ricky Winters knocking on our door up here, I'm just holding off to fire up the wood stove for the year, then i consider it hibernation time. :vardy
    Wierdrider, sealsam, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I wish that was the case...

The Forest Service updated their site on 1 Oct... Regional Order No. 20-19 USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region Emergency Forest Closure... and is effective from 1 October through 8 October 2020.

Basically off-road trails in : Angeles National Forest, Cleveland National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Sierra National Forest...

You've got one thing going once the snow falls... break out the snow machines and bomb through the trails and across the frozen lakes... That's what I did while I live in Anchorage; along with cross country skiing and snowshoeing.
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy,

I have to say I really enjoy your travels and can only hope you make it out east some day. I'll throw a thick steak on the grill just to hear about your adventures first hand. Carry on ....

Eric
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Just makin' more memories Eric...

If/when I'm ever that way, I'll make sure to ring the bell at Casa De Redneck... I often think about retracing my steps when I lived in North Carolina in the mid-80s. I would travel up US-17 and US-13 into Long Island, NY to visit my parents. They're retired now in Kissimmee, FL but one of these days I'll have to see the old neighborhood in NY. It may take a couple of years since I have Alaska and the National Parks tour in Utah for 2021...
    Manny U, B10Dave, MYUMPH and 7 others like this.
  13. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 17 Oct 2020

~ Unforeseen cross-country road trip…

I was planning a ride to the Sierras this coming week to explore the US-395 corridor; places like Convict Lake, Benton Crossing, Mono Lake, Bodie State Historic Park, and Lake Tahoe. The temperatures were finally dropping below 90℉ and fire restrictions downgraded enough to allow gas stoves in developed campsites. I hadn’t taken any of the other bikes out and thought this would be a good opportunity to exercise the Duc for some on/off-road exploration. I had just packed my panniers for a four day getaway, but as fate would have it I had to shift my plans for a cross-country to see my parents. Although the Duc was ready to go, I was counting on the trip to the Sierras to add mileage and wear out the OEM tires before wrenching on her. Suddenly I found myself scrambling to get new rubber mounted, flush the brake system and hydraulic clutch, change the engine oil and filter, and restructure my loadout for a much longer road trip.

My parents are OK… though a bit weathered from the Covid lockdown and reduced interaction in their retirement community. I was avoiding seeing them until next year when the pandemic settled down to minimize infecting them with the virus. However, my dad's onset of dementia is creating stress so I offered my assistance. The wife and I talked it over and I'm prepared to stay in Florida for a few months until their situation improved. Meanwhile, I’ll take the load off my parents and run the daily errands, but most importantly help shepherd my dad along untill he gets some treatment and meds prescribed.

I've tagged 2020 as the “lost year” due to the pandemic, heatwave, and California wildfires disrupting my motography. Although I remain optimistic about postponing Alaska to 2021, I remain grounded and make other provisions should the US-Canadian border remain “essential travel only.” My untimely presence in Florida makes for a classic Key West to Alaska run next year but if that doesn’t pan out, I’ll be positioned for an east coast ramble up to my old neighborhood in New York and ride the Amish countryside in Pennsylvania...

shakedown ride after all the work was completed... will be leaving on Tuesday motographing my way east...
    2.jpg
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great call to visit your parents. i would do the same except they lived in my house until they passed away. in retrospect, that was the best time of my life. enjoying the memories.
    sealsam, dano619, Wierdrider and 5 others like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing Rudy. It's a strange chapter of life as our parents start to "age out". For me it's been surreal, bizarre, wonderfully sad.. . . . I call it the painful privilege of giving back to them. Being there. God bless you for being there as much as possible.

You know I think your Duc is hot. A massively cool looking bike. But I am surprised you're not taking the GSA. I know you have a lot of bikes to exercise though and have your reasons. Besides, I am BMW biased. You are a multi bike guy and I am a one bike guy.

When my mom took a bad turn, I rode my Ducati up to Moscow Idaho for several weeks. As important as time with mom was . . . and I cherished every second . . . it was the Duc that kept me grounded. It gave me a little bit of "me" every day as I commuted up and down the Lewiston hill to see her daily. And when my siblings were able to be with her, I would take these shots out toward Missoula, Asotin, etc for a few hours to get my head back on straight. Motorcycles aren't just fun; they are important.

Godspeed on your trip Rudy. And I sure hope you get to make that Florida- Alaska run. That's pretty dam cool for a San Diego boy to get to do.

Pics of the Duc please! It's a bad-ass looking bike.
    sealsam, Manny U, Wierdrider and 8 others like this.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you Rudy, sometimes ya get thrown a situation and ya gotta just jump right in and handle some shit.

travel well my friend.
    sealsam, dp064, Wierdrider and 6 others like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel, I'll never pass seeing my parents... I have three other siblings so we take turns visiting them. It's not as bad as it seems, my dad is often forgetful and his mind is diminished from the stroke in 2000 but he still manages to play poker and mahjong with friends before the pandemic hit. I'm going more for my peace of mind...

I know what you mean about aging out Kelly. My parents are at that age and we worry about them. I'm just glad that my sister is only a few hours away in Jacksonville and one brother in Atlanta; the other in Austin. I'm the furthest but I retired first so all I have is time on my hands.

As for the Duc, she hasn't been out on an adventure yet. The GSA has been to Washington state twice so I'm keeping her adventures closer to home. It also has to do with maintenance timing. The Duc can go up to 18K before the Desmo service and she has the least miles in the rotation.

Will do about travel pics.... thanks Kelly.

Thanks Colby... "lemons to lemonade" I say... I'm still having an adventure, just in the opposite direction. Nothings says that I can't ride every now and then to explore new roads while I'm there, plus I get mom's home cooking...
    popscycle, sealsam, Manny U and 9 others like this.
  18. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Rudy!
    Dorian
    sealsam, dp064, Chillis and 5 others like this.
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Thanks Dorian, I'm purposely staying off the super slab to slow my roll and camping my way across....
    sealsam, Manny U, dp064 and 6 others like this.
  20. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stop in and see some of the southeast gang!
    sealsam, Manny U, B10Dave and 6 others like this.