Journal of my motography travels… (Twist of fate & karma)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding:clap:clap

Anderson Ranch reservoir looks really cool. I really like the concept of hauling the bike in the truck and base camping. I've been doing that for a long time but you have taken it to another level. I'm glad it worked out for you and I'm looking forward to seeing your future Glamping adventures!
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Base camping allows me to save on incidentals, specifically food, water, adult beverages, and firewood... i.e. - a bundle of firewood locally is about $4.99 but out at Death Valley I'm looking at $9.99... they've capitalized on the concept of supply and demand for sure... at Lone Pine I was paying about $7.99... same with water, I pay .25 cents per gallon at the Glacier purified dispenser as compared to $1.49 for 33.8 fluid ounces...

Base camping will be a force multiplier for extended rides around Death Valley/US-395 corridor once it cools off in the coming weeks...
    The Virginian, Manny U, dp064 and 9 others like this.
  3. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Savings will pay for that new Ranger in almost no time! :rofl

Seriously though, you've got a great set-up there . . .
    dp064, Chillis, Wierdrider and 3 others like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Just pinching pennies so I can stay out longer on adventures...

You should see me when I break out my coupon book now that I'm retired... :lol3

jowul, Manny U, Ladybug and 11 others like this.
  5. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the file. Change of plans but thanks also because your trip report got the ball rolling for me.
    If all goes well I'll drive up to Plummer ID next week and bicycle the Coeur d'Alene trail to Wallace ID, spend a night or two there then ride back.
    Magruder Corridor has been on my bucket list, was closed earlier in the summer - hopefully open now. Only a couple hundred mile drive from Plummer to Elk City then take the CT on the Magruder, maybe not all the way but who knows. Weather supposed to be good next week.
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Wow... that's got to be a scenic route... I just googled Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes and love how it hugs the lakes and rivers... :thumb

No worries, another inmate @NSFW inspired me to ride Idaho last week...

Like you, I have a bucket list for Idaho: ID-21 to Idaho City and Stanley, US-12 from Lewiston to Lolo Pass, NF-1614 to NF246 up to Burgdorf Hot Springs, US-2 to Glacier NP, and the list keeps growing...
  7. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was back there last year, stayed in Wallace and rode the Trail of the Hiawatha - beautiful bike ride including through old train tunnels up to a mile long (if I remember correctly). Couple weeks ago I did a 64 mile bike ride here in the Columbia Gorge, fun but with killer (for me anyway) long climbs and about 3,500 ft elevation gain. I had to call my wife to pick me up in Cascade Locks. Heyburn state park near Plummer is less than 60 miles from Wallace and with only about 750ft total elevation gain so I'm looking forward to a nice ride without hills to climb.

I've done Lolo Pass on a scooter on the way to Glacier NP 3 years ago. If you take your Monkey you might look into taking Lolo Motorway, gravel/dirt, scenic. North of and roughly parallels 12 to around Powell Ranger station area.

On the the Hiawatha bike trail outside Wallace.
    20190604_133457 (1).jpg

20190604_105825 (1).jpg

Lolo Pass '17 (carried way too much unnecessary stuff)
    DSCF0030.JPG
    jowul, The Virginian, Manny U and 8 others like this.
  8. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    bike ride in the gorge few weeks ago, too much climbing for me.
    20200828_150646.jpg
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Mom, is that you?
  10. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't you have an e-bike?
    Dirt Road Cowboy and pnw like this.
  11. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and there was still too much climbing for me. Some of it is extremely steep and even in 1st with assist I could barely make it up. Except for the steep grades I don't use the assist. I've done this ride and others similar many times with regular bikes, once with a beach cruiser, too much suffering to fully enjoy.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a killer trip Rudy. Your cooler sure works good. Pics are nice even with the smoke. Have fun with the little bikes.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s a triple for you starting in Lewiston. Hy12-Lolo to Missoula. Epic. Overnight in Hot Springs MT (also epic hot springs).
    Hot Springs - Thompson Pass- Orofino Overnight.
    orofino to Missoula vis Lolo Motorway/Lewis Clark Trail .
    Heck. Might as well ride the St Joe River back west again.

Dang that would be cool to knock out all those East west routes in one trip, and of course do the rail trails around Wallace for dessert.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave...

I have ridden Idahoan roads several times and I thought I would give some trail riding a go. Now I have a taste for the IDBDR...
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a couple of loops from the googling I did...

If Alaska drops off the radar due to more Covid restrictions, I may just push Alaska to the next year and do a long ride on home turf...

dp064, Wierdrider, Zubb and 3 others like this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to get out for the maiden voyage!! Sure enjoy your travels!!
    villageidiot, dp064, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    thanks dano...

just making the most out of my retirement and putting "keyboard to screen" memories...
    B10Dave, villageidiot, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    scooter.jpg

I just love to see a scooter on tour. :clap
  19. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's funny and I do the same. I take advantage of any and all discounts I can find. I have no problem asking for my senior discounts.

When I turned 62 I was very excited that I could buy my senior National Parks pass and I turned 62 when the passes were still $10.00 which made it even better. Even at $80.00, the senior pass is a heck of a deal for people that travel. Standard entrance fees into National Parks can break a budget in short order at the regular price.

I planned to turn 62 in Death Valley which is my favorite Nat'l Park right now. That morning I went in to get the pass and was all gitty about getting my senior pass. The ranger at the desk didn't find me a bit amusing and it appeared she didn't understand why I was so excited. :dunno When I went in my intent was to get a pic of me, my new pass, and the ranger that sold it to me but she was so grumpy I gave up on that idea. I got my pass and did these two photos instead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even with a grumpy Park Ranger, I was still super excited about getting my senior pass.

Pull out that coupon book and enjoy every cent you save! :clap

There are so many great places to visit in ID. If you do the IDBDR don't skip Jarbidge, NV the official start/stop point. Many people do and start in Mountain Home, ID instead because of the long straight roads between the two. Jarbidge is a fun little town if you enjoy historic towns. Consider a side trip to Bruneau Canyon.

Also while in S. ID there is also Silver City, ID as another ghosttown to visit. I haven't done it yet but it's on my list and I hope to go there this fall.
  20. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the $80 senior pass, still a great deal. Some state park and BLM campgrounds also allow a discount if you have it.
    And Rudy, I never miss checking the weekly Safeway coupons and sales, they can save a lot for stuff you already buy anyway so why not?
    Wierdrider, B10Dave, dano619 and 6 others like this.