Journalist, Police ID to get you past corrupt cops?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and travel in full disguise:

[​IMG]

you'd be all set if they watch American re-runs :thumb
  2. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    This is the training video I review before each trip to prepare to deal with cops anywhere and in all situations:

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/osO7FgcQk_k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Yeah, retired cop would be the way to go. It would be hard to convince them I was still on "active duty", wouldn't it? [​IMG] Although, if they had a sense of humor they just might be laughing so hard I could just ride off into the sunset. :ricky

As Bananaman says, I do have some experience riding south of the border.

My experience has mostly been with the military checkpoints and they have never given me any problems at all. I've never been approached for a bribe yet. If I were my first line of defense would be the "no fumar granola" type of defense. But I've read enough RRs and met enough riders who've ridden south of the border to realize it's a very real problem.

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming.
  4. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like one oif the criticisms that suggests it's illegal to fake an ID to help yourself and OK to pay a bribe to help yourself. ?? So, is that the preferred illegal thing to do? Or the smartest illegal thing to do?? Or has it become so common place to pay the bribe that it is no longer considered illegal?

Nata Harli is a cool guy.....I once had a chance to load his bike in my truck and give him a ride while he was touring Mexico with a broken foot....he is a lot tougher than I am....BTW, howdie and how are you doing?
  5. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember that quite will. But I had no idea I was on video the whole time or I might have cleaned up my language a little.
  6. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Hi, Jim Bud,

Good to hear from you. Man, I think that trip was one of my greatest. I'd love to go down there and watch the Baja 500 again. Haven't had any better gourmet cooking than summerinmaine's since then.

Hope we run into each other again.
  7. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    And he said you were "tough as nails". So another tough guy, eh? Well what I wanna know tough guy is if you carry SPOT. Well? :rofl

This thread is going to be more hilarious than I thought.

Paging AUSFletch - real life cop from Austin who trains policemen in Mexico.
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Good cops are good.

Any person who, while armed, demands money- they should be shot, right there, regardless of badge status.

North of Lima when they demanded that I stay in their stupid little hotel because of bandit risk, I said, "you are the bandits. I would rather take my chances on the road." I am not brave. I was just so angry that I was stoopid.

It was good that I speak Spanish.

When I was mad I reverted to conquistador-pirate mode. The corrupt cops are low-class bandits. They can be bullied if you assume the role of ruling-class mob-boss.

Or, they can get pissed off and shoot you.

The bigger risks come from donkeys, dogs, taxis (one got Nata Harli in Guatemala), and blind curves, but they're boring. It's more fun to talk about shooting bandits.
  9. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Just turn off your HA next time. In fact that might work in SA :D

Instead of fake ID , how about just paying the bribes with fake(counterfeit) money.
  10. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I tried this with the fake solares I got at the Ecuador/Peru border. Fake solares is one of the reason they demand US$.

I think corrupt cops should be shot on sight.

I think any person who demands money, and has a gun, should be shot.

I'm entirely serious.

92 F is my personal choice.
  11. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

92F:thumb
    I was thinking photoshop or better US$ I don't have a 92F, still looking:evil
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I like a Riding For The Cure type of format.
    Ambassador for the afflicted.

ILCI
    International Leper Colony Inspector
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :oscar
  14. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    This thread is great. :thumb

However if I ever get to Texas I think I might owe tricepilot a beer or 10. A few days ago on Mex 175 I was going through a little town passing trucks and cars that were slowed to a stop for the big ass topes. Standard procedure right?:scratch As I came up to the topes I saw some kids yelling in my direction, so I did what any self respecting rider would do in that situation, I dropped the clutch and rode a nice big wheelie over some topes as I was passing cars and trucks in the no passing zone.:clap

The only problem was that I did it right in front of a cop. :bash In Baja this is normally not a problem, but here it sure was.

Long story short, I used a very healthy dose of :dunno and no fumar Espanol with a crazed look in my eyes, and flying spit as I talked. You should have seen the look on the cops face, freaking priceless.

I think he actually thought I was not right in the head. After about 5 minutes of these shenanigans he just looked disgusted, got in his car and drove away. :lol3 I guess its a good thing that he could'nt speak English. :rofl

I got lucky, because he had me, I thought I was busted for sure. I was just about ready to go into negotiation mode for the impending mordida. I guess he figured that this gringo loco was more trouble than he was worth.
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crashy, you are such a bad boy! :D
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Vinny Caught on Video
  17. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Doh!!! Ouch.:bash
  18. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im completely flabbergasted, that this said individual is offended for the idea of someone suggesting misrepresentation of a law officier. and yet goes on to say that we, the foreigner, should have a little local money to pay off corrupt cops.

as far as i am concerned, anyone asking/ telling me to give them money while having a gun visable (either in a holster or in thier hand) is a mugger (theif).
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think that's a great idea. :lol3 I would feel guilty, though, if I didn't actually contribute to some worthwhile charity after doing this. Like Salcar's.

The leper colong inspector would be great, along with an official sticker on your bike.

And for those of you who are concerned with me "posing" as a retired law enforcement officer, I am retired and I was a law enforcement officer for 8 years although that's not what I retired from. So, don't be too picky.

But, I still like the International Leper Colony Inspector route better.
  20. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    It certainly has taken on a life that I never expected. :eek1

Now, I understand how you got your handle.

Keep the ideas coming. So far, LR's leper colony inspector is my favorite.