Journalist, Police ID to get you past corrupt cops?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    You are hereby appointed the Official Pudendum Inspector for our next Latin American Rider's Rally. :deal

We've been looking for someone qualified for that position for several years now.
  2. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will try and be a good scout :D
  3. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, We've just finished our New York to Brazil Adventure, and we did use a fake journalist story to get through several corrupted cops and Border Officials in both, Central and South America.
    In our case, it worked 100%.
    We did not have any Journalist ID. We just had lots of Photograph Equipment - my wife is a Photographer.
    Especially in Honduras, where "the going gets really tough", the cops let us through the 6 barriers we had to face (in 50 miles of road), plus the entrance - in El Amatillo - and the exit to Nicaragua
    The "Journalist Story" also worked in Mexico, Panama, Colombia and Peru.
    Basically, we used this strategy everytime we felt that the situation was getting out of control.
    And, yes ! It is a fraudulent strategy - to get through several corrupted officials, in foreign countries, where we are just trying to ride our motorcycle.
    And we will certainly use this (fraudulent) strategy again and again.

By the way, I am Latin American and am currently living in Brazil.
    The Press does really make an impact on Government Officials, including Cops. And freedom of press is something relevant in Latin America.
    Please, do not forget that the Dictatorship Decades are gone in the Latin World - thank God.

And, finally, if you believe that this very sad issue is solved by "giving a small donation to Cops", talk to Eduardo who had "some experience" in Honduras. It lasted "only" 23 hours.

If you want to have a look at a detail description about what went on in Honduras, have a look at our thread.
    Let me know , if you want any additional info on this subject.
  4. MRFRITZ

MRFRITZ advwannabe

Oddometer:
    +1 a small cash donation is allways welcome almost everywhere by regular officers by this i mean local police not the federales. how do i know all my relatives live in mexico and they own businesses and travel all over the country i hear that's how it is.
  5. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Don't forget, your job description says that pictures are a requirement. :deal
  6. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    I'm fortunate in that in all my trips south of the border I've never been stopped by a local cop, just the federales. And I've found them very professional and have never had a problem with them.

On my most recent trip, within 50 miles of leaving Guatemala heading for San Cristobal I was stopped and searched 3 times by the federales. I figured it was because I was in Chiapas and there had been some recent problems. But, I knew they were just doing their job and I knew I had nothing to hide so it all worked out.
  7. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is the event for 2010? Have you posted a thread/link yet for 2010?
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your real-world post.
    It's too bad that you were corrupt when encountering police that were corrupt, knocking them off their 'game'. :lol3
  9. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    But actually, I think they Lucio and wife are journalists. Didn't I see a newscast of them somewhere?
  10. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    +1
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    I think it will be in the same place in Colorado. If not the same place, it will probably be in Colorado somewhere.

We have not started a thread for the 2010 rally yet.

However, all the pictures you take as part of your PI duties can be posted here. You don't have to wait until the rally! :evil
  12. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    DEFINITION A journalist collects and disseminates information about current events, people, trends, and issues. His or her work is known as journalism

I would argue that writing a ride report for ADVRider makes you a journalist.

I might just get an official looking ID that says I'm a journalist for ADVRider. With the diversity in Jo Momma there's no end to to the topics you can say are covered in the publication:D
  13. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's start the thread. My vote is we have it along the TEX-MEX border somewhere.
  14. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We definitely are not journalists nor had any Press IDs with us.
    We just said that we were journalists writing an long article about travelling across the Americas, and we took lots of pictures everytime a Cop or a Government Official tried to make our lives miserable.
    And believe me: it happened quite a few times during this trip. But we knew about it well in advance and prepared our counter-attack strategy.
    That's all we did. I am not proud of what we had to do. We just couldn't think any better alternative.
    So, it worked and, as I said before, we will do it again if these cops try to play any unfair, corrupted game with us.
    Bunch of cowards, afraid of a two fake journalist.

15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You're talking the Big Bend area.
  16. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anywhere along the TEX-MEX border would suit me. After all, it is close to Latin America. Que no?
  17. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    NATA man

well I am not a cop but I do live here in Mexico, just don't do it. It will only add to the I AM AN AMERICAN I HAVE MY RIGHTS scandals. I know you said it was not your idea to do it, just an idea of something that could be.

When you come here and farther south, bring your smiles, good attitude, and patience, nobody likes imperialist people and lies like that are so bad and are taking into consideration if you are discover.

I once cross into the US and the Migra was not at all forgiving, a guy next to me forgot he had a banana, no big deal right?, fruits and vegetables are not to be imported into the US so they must be left outside, the punishment? $150 USD for 1 banana, got an apple? 150 more, and since the driver was a LAIR he got the 9 yards of all the Migra power, dogs, 5 officers, strips tires, stripe seats, dashboard, motor inspection, trunk, spare tire... if it was part of the car, it was search and strip, and at the end he paid the fine IN CASH. He and his family spend several hours there.

So image what could happend if a friend, family have had an encounter with the Migra, o he will give you all the love he has!!

Just my 2 cents

Damasovi
  18. ChangoGS

ChangoGS Banned

Oddometer:
    Just leave stay here in the Domestic U.S.A. Travel South of the border is NOT for everybody. If someone feels that scared then dont even go.
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I know we're not supposed to copy the ADV logo, so maybe some bastardization of ADV that doesn't infringe on the copyright- something with an emphasis on journalism and ride reports.

Bobloblaw is correct in his definition of journalist. Aren't we, at least, bloggers? And don't bloggers have clout?

When I was taking photos of the corrupt Peru cops, they said I was intimidating them. I don't know what really worked, because I threw every argument I could, but I'm sure that my saying that I was reporting on the internet had some weight.

This guy had just been robbed by corrupt cops- they stole $200.

[​IMG]

These cops are members of the corrupt gang of theives who stole from him, and they tried to extort $200 from me. That's US$200:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guards at this roadblock were disapointed that they couldn't figure out a way to rob me. They pulled up the chain when I got close. The guard on the left held an old shotgun. The gatekeepers on the right asked me questions. From out of nowhere two cops-types, in civillian clothes, came up to me and asked more questions. Not the normal, "Oh My Fucking GOD How Beautiful Is Your Moto! What Size Is It 650?!" but "Who are you and who the FUCK do you think you are, asshole- this is OUR TOWN." Sorry but I don't have photos of the real assholes- they denied my request to photograph them. "It's PROHIBITED," they said.

[​IMG]

Not all the roadblocks were evil. These Colombian kids were fine.

[​IMG]
  20. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    We really need a thread of 'incidents'. Location, date, nature of incident. This would make a good reference for riders.