Journalist, Police ID to get you past corrupt cops?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Nov 22, 2009.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    What thinks you's guys of this?

I'm making up a badge to wear around my neck, plus a couple of cards to fix to my riding jacket and another jacket, plus business cards.

(While I'm waiting for smugmug to upload, here's an old photo from Sturgis)

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I think this one, with a photo of me, looks more official.

[​IMG]
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Now you've done it. This thread had died a quiet, dignified death and no one had called me a dumb asshole for quite a while for thinking of such a thing.

Thanks, Bananaman, for the upcoming damage to both of our psyches.

So, let me be first. :asshat
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Ken.

As for the credentials- 1) it's totally legal. and 2) I'm deleting the bananaman.smugmug and changing "employer" to "profession."

Note to non-Spanish speakers: if you use all-caps, (ALL-CAPS), then you don't have to worry about where to put the ' thingy's.
  5. Nata Harli

Oddometer:

á
    é É
    í Í
    ó Ó
    ú Ú
    ¿
    ¡
    ñ
    Á Ñ <--- ¿What about these? ¿How do you write "BÁÑÁÑÁMÁÑ"?
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Maybe consider some kinda official-looking, anti-counterfeit background.
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

OK for sure I'm getting a press pass to go with my fake police ID.:thumb

Is that Nata Harli's e mail addy and telefono you're using :lol3
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I've loosened up some of the "Authorities" down in Mexico by showing them.....the "Bible". You have to act a little crazy at the same time, easy enough if you are thumping the Bible, but mind you the $10.00 US page marker helps too!:D

Bringing "Girls" into the conversation also always helped, mind you if you are travelling with a lady....not recommended, that is unless she can play the "good sport"!:uhoh

But the reporter's ID, I like that idea, as long as you don't use them in a foolish way and burn the next "legit" reporter passing that way, I have no problem with that.:ricky

But what I do have a problem with is that all them tips & tricks end up discussed so much over the net, they may only work for a short time until
    they clue on to them, they may be harassing and corrupt at times, but not stupid.:nod
  9. bananaman

Oddometer:
    "Legit" reporters can kiss my hairy ass.

When was the last time you read a story in a "legit" newspaper about the corruption at the El Salvador/Honduras border? When was the last time a "legit" newspaper wrote a story about corrupt cops taking bribes (stealing) from law-abiding citizens? I will wager that we who post here are as legit as any hack. This is journalism. And by hitting the "submit reply," I'm published.
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    While I'm on a rant...

The US Government gives $KAZILLIONS to El Salvador and Honduras. I don't know where all that money ends up, but I know that one thing we should demand for it is extra-security for citizens, and all other people, when traversing the country. If they don't want to let us have rights, then they shouldn't take our money.

Write your congressman. Call your congressman. Just ask them if, next time they're doing an appropriation for foreign aid, to pencil in a little provision about borders. Hell- they could even do it in the name of Homeland Security. I bet Dave could write the code so that in a moment, they could verify that we are who we say we are, that our bike is our bike, that we have insurance, and then, five minutes later, we can be on our way.

OR... do it like the borders between Wisconsin and Illinois. NO CUSTOMS. You just... ride.

Rant Off.
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Nat'l security in the NW hemisphere is one reason, plus it's cheaper to pay some now than to have to undo a real bad situation under the eyes of the Commie-leaning US media. Efficient? No, but still cheaper in the long run.
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Eh man....I don't think you got my drift here, there was a subtle hint of sarcasm in there directed toward "legit" reporters....just my way of talking, hence the apostrophes. I certainly share your views on them! :thumb

I did not want to send you on a rant....my apologies!
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I am quite capable of going off on a rant, often with little or no provacation.

Have you ever been to Madison, Wisconsin? I love it here, but sometimes the liberal media here drive me up the fucking wall- and I'm a liberal!

PS: Lonerider is right, as usual. What's it going to take to get him to a LARR?
  14. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    tooooooo much information:lol3
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  16. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Agreed!

Perhaps a small bribe?:evil
  17. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    You guys have way too much fíng time on your hands so in the interest of starting trouble I figured I would revive this thread. :rofl

No need to make idle threats and have fake creds. Simply bust out your camera, start snapping away and tell them that they are going to be famous on the internet. Not an idle threat by any means and even a little youtube vid would be a nice touch as well.

You would be shocked at how well that works. The end of the game results in them getting to delete the pictures and I get to go on my way without paying a mordida.
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I did this many times, and it worked on all the cops except the ones north of Lima, who threatened to arrest me for "intimidation with camera."
  19. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Vengo putas. :rofl Listos? :gun1

Actually I have quite a bit of experience with the Peruvian cops north of Lima as I have driven a car through numerous time on surf trips. A van with surfboards on the top draws as much attention as a big gringo moto.

Yes, those guys can be a bit intimidating, but still not as good as many of hte Mexican cops that speak perfect english and are really good at scare tactics.
  20. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Thats when I come back at them with Pig Latin.