Journalist, Police ID to get you past corrupt cops?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Nata Harli, Nov 22, 2009.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thats a good idea and worth trying.:rofl Some of those guys lived in the states for a very long time and could very well be familiar with pig latin. :D
  2. cu260r6

cu260r6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like I'm a bit late to this party, but if anyone is wondering about the original question I found that stating you are a lawyer/abogado works much better than anything else. Implying an understanding of the law and intelligence is much better than trying to imply a sense of authority that isn't relevant to where you're traveling.
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    :amazon
  4. AusFletch

AusFletch Vincit qui Persevere

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on this....catching up....I have a few thoughts on this matter (like I do in most matters) I but also have zero interest in getting into a pissing match which is where most of these discussions seem to inevitably head...
  5. spqr

spqr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just tell them that my boots are more shiny than theirs... Surprisingly it has worked twice, or my favorite is commenting on their uniforms. I had a Bolivian corporal laughing so hard he almost peed his pants.

NCOs are the same everywhere.
  6. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are parts of Mexico where either of those ID's will get you in a world of trouble if you stumble across the wrong people.
    It is probably one of the most ass hatted plans I have ever heard of.
  7. hockabigloogy

hockabigloogy Got Buddah?

Oddometer:
    So facing my second ride to southern Mexico, it looks like to avoid paying a bribe on a unjustified stop:
    1. Feign mental illness. Foam a little and maybe have a tick.
    2. Pull out a videocamera and hit the red thingy.
    3. With the other hand call your embassy
    4. Remind your new friend that you are a photojournalist or journalist for SCAM online.
    5. Always say in a polite tone "No Fumar de espana"
    6. If all this fails, unzip the zipper on your Joe Rocket, revealing your parson's collar (i dont know what they call those things). Pull out the "good book" that has 10 dollar bookmarks in it.

7. Gladly let them take your fake copy of your DL , write you a ticket and ride off. Going to the police station the next day is too painful. And they will not catch you at the border.

So far I think Tricepilot's ruse of just being calm, waiting them out, playing stupid sounds the best. I just hope I can remain that calm. It's hard for me- that's why I do not play poker- my face is one big "tell".

:lol3
    [​IMG]
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full Disclosure: It's not an act with me :D