JTH's HD 883 Dual Sport'ster conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimmyTheHog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes on the discs ! - They are opposite as they should be. The rear is thick, heavy, and too large a diameter, and the front is thin & smaller dia. Im going to ride it for a while to see how they work, but I do want to reduce the size of the rear and put a smaller lighter caliper on there.
  2. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks John - Yes, I did go with an offset. I believe its ~0.25" offset. The chain clearance to the motor is fine. Without the offset, the 530 chain was too close and appeared that there would be interference. I ended up going with PBI sprockets in a kit from Zippers.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be Supporter

Oddometer:
    thats what I found too that the zero offset rubs the cases. so mine is off-set some not sure what spacers I may need for the rear to line up properly

guess I'll figure that out in a few weeks as everything get put on and check alignment
  4. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    The rear sprocket I have from PBI has a dish offset - no spacers required. The front sprocket is offset with an increased length spacer (which was smaller dia by the way) that replaces the stock spacer. Due to the smaller dia spacer, the dynamic seal also gets replaced with a smaller diameter seal. The guys at Zippers walked me thru the changes and were very knowledgable / helpfull.
  5. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work! Maybe I should have kept my 03 Hugger.
    A K&N filter, rejet, and a 2:1 exhaust from RB racing and the 883 will poke along pretty well.
  6. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Excellent progress!

Jimmy have you contemplated a longer seat set-up?
    You may need room to move around on your bike or stretching on longer rides.
    On downhills sliding your butt to the rear could help confidence especially if your forks are compressing down.

Your bike will be wicked! :evil
  7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work. :D
  8. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Don't know how you make something soo cool look so easy? If I were the Harley factory boys I'd feel pretty stupid right now.
  9. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    FWIW - The "Harley Boys" and their board of directors don't seem to believe a motorcycle should be ridden off road. The mufflers, including the Buell muffler, are not certified/stamped for off road use which includes fire roads, Forest Service and BLM roads.

JTH will need something like a bolt on spark arrestor as the fines for not having one can get expensive.

Keep up the amazing transformation of the Sporty.
  10. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    I have, but Im going to stay short right now and keep the rear unobstructed so I can, while standing, shift my weight back. I plan to graft on a small rack that can hold light gear and then some small touratech cans on the sides for fluids. In between the rack and the seat will be a space for a tool kit - at the same level.

Heres a pic of the rack - I designed this for the HP2 a while ago. I think it will work nicely, but need to mock up the frame to hold it and the fender...

Attached Files:

11. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Absolutely - it will have a US forest service approved spark arrestor. I like to ride off-road at Hollsiter hills OHRV park which requures one.

Does anyone have suggestions on what spark arrestor might work well here ?
  12. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Heres a picture of the rack on the HP2. Touratech can on the left, and a tool kit on the right - mix and match.

Attached Files:

13. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Too bad the stock KTM 950/990 exhausts aren't interesting looking. I'm sure there are a bunch of them laying around that have spark arrestors and are off road legal. They're just pretty bland but would work in a pinch.
  15. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I put a Cobra spark arrestor on my Uly. Took a little shaping to fit the oval exhaust, but it works great. I like it because I can pull the screen out to ride on the highway or in town.

[​IMG]
  16. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Sloooooooowwwwww progress, but while waiting for the finished swingarm and the the shocks, I decided to graft on a fly screen. Its a sportster flyscreen and I had some alumunum brackets fab'ed to hold it and the blinkers.......

Attached Files:

17. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr n00b

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I just ran across the thread and I already can't wait to see how it turns out!
  18. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  19. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Im with you! Im enjoying the design and build process, but Im ready to get out and ride the thing.

Swingarm is now done and I pick it up tomorrow and install. Then shocks next week and hopefully the exhaust too.
  20. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Got the finished swingarm today - Ive gotta say, FMI did a fantastic job machining and finishing. I almost want to put it on a shelf and just display it.....

Attached Files:

Pezz_gs likes this.