July 10th , 2021 IBA All Yooperland SS1K and Alternative SS1K

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Feb 1, 2021.

1. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning another Pre-Approved IBA All Yooperland SS1K for 2021 - over 1,000 miles done all in the beautiful upper peninsula of Michigan in less than 24 hours. This will be the 4th time I have organized an IBA SS1K done all in the U.P.

Rich Henrion is working on a deal for lodging at a local Resort and is doing Facebook postings - more about the arrangements for lodging after April 1st.

The ride will start & end in Wakefield in the western upper peninsula of Michigan and will start the morning of Saturday, July 10th.

There will also be an Alternative SS1K ride offered with a route done all in Wisconsin, starting & ending in Hurley, which is about 14 miles from Wakefield.

For those that can make it, there will be a dinner at the Resort and a meeting after dinner on Friday.

I'll be posting more information on this thread and on the IBA Calendar in a month or so.

EDIT : Links to the ride details are below in Post #11.
    EDIT ( again on 5-13-21) : The server is down for the ride webpage. If anyone would like more info about either the All Yooperland SS1K or All Wisconsin SS1K, send me a pm and I'll send you a pm with several files attached about the rides including the registration forms, since I have no idea how long the server will be down. They are having a problem getting it back up for some unknown reason to me.

[email protected]

FYI - Here is the link to last years All Yooperland SS1K that started & ended in the Soo :

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-iba-all-yooperland-ss1k.1422806/

And the 2019 All Yooperland SS1K that started & ended in Iron Mountain :

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-iron-butt-all-yooperland-ss1k.1363066/ ( check out the video on page #5 )

This years route will include a run down H-58 between Munising and Grand Marais known as "Michigan's Mini-Dragon Tail" because of the twisties. Here is the route for 2021 :

H58 Route.jpg

1,002 miles done all in the U.P.

Alternative SS1K Ride :

All Wisconsin SS1K.jpg

1,008 miles done all in Wisconsin
  2. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Jim, thanks for all the work you do for this. While the Yooperland looks as good as ever, or even better with H58 now included, having done it the previous two years I think personally I would be leaning towards the alternate ride. Looks like it is ALMOST an "all in state" Wisconsin ride. Other than the obvious starting/ending point, (and that significant chunk of US2), how much reconfiguring would it take to make it an in state ride? I don't have a Wisconsin certificate yet.

Hmm...

Well, strike that maybe, the map is smaller, but studying a lot closer, it looks like a significant portion north of Minneapolis is also outside of Wisconsin. But what would it take to influence your supreme planning skills to offer an all Wisconsin option?

Regardless, I will mark my calendar and see about getting approval from the powers that be.
  3. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    BTW, ( I'm going to let the cat out of the bag now ) if the border is re-opened before July, I will be adding 2 more rides : A Lake Superior SS1K and a second Alternative SS1K done in the U.P. and Ontario. The route would include a run from Thessalon up to Chapleau and then to Wawa and back to the Soo. Part of the route between Thessalon and Chapleau has some interesting twisties - the road goes left & right and up & down at the same time. I checked that out a few years ago.
    drbuzzard, siyeh, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  4. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    The Alternative M-W-M SS1K is mostly done in Wisconsin, but since Wakefield is in Michigan, an all Wisconsin ride would need to start & end in Wisconsin. So a Rider would have to depart Wakefield and head to Wisconsin to get a starting receipt in Wisconsin and also get an ending receipt in Wisconsin and then head back to Wakefield because I would need to see a Riders starting & ending odometer reading to verify the ride.

I'll look into an All Wisconsin route and see how it looks.

EDIT: See the next post !!
    varnerju likes this.
  5. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    EDIT: I replaced the M-W-M SS1K with the All Wisconsin SS1K shown above.

Well, I came up with an All Wisconsin SS1K route that looks to me even better than the M-W-M SS1K route. So I'm dropping the M-W-M route and replacing it with an All Wisconsin SS1K. It's a bit faster and an easier route to follow.

You can blame Justin for this change :clap
    Bigbob1 and varnerju like this.
  6. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! :wingsI'll gladly take the blame!

But I do have to say, Kudos to you sir for coming up with something so quickly! You truly are a master planner!!

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if the Superior route is available, I would probably choose that, because of my larger goal of completing the great lakes. Then again, I can kind of plan that anytime (stealing your route planning of course), so maybe I should take advantage of the 'route that is my fault'.

Now for the bad news. It may all be a moot point. I went to mark this on the paper calendar so it becomes "official" and see the wife has already got that marked off for an event that we signed up for long ago. :doh
    Of course, it was cancelled last year, and might be cancelled again this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and definitely be watching here. :ricky
    IBAJIM likes this.
  7. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Thanks and No Problem, but here is a Friendly Suggestion : Don't let her read your post !!

Edit : Did she pencil or pen that in on the calendar ? If in pencil, you could always erase it and add it back on a week later :rayof
    Bullen, Bigbob1 and varnerju like this.
  8. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder what the odds are of a border reopening before this ride?
    Who has the crystal ball?
  9. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slim and none... From what I have been hearing I don't think it will be open this summer. Hope I am wrong, I really need a bike trip.
    1oldsickle and drbuzzard like this.
  10. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Ya, that may prove to be true. I read recently that Canada has no plans to allow the resumption of the Tour Ship Cruises from Vancouver up to Alaska for the up coming season.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  11. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    EDIT : Here are the websites with details for the All Yooperland SS1K and All Wisconsin SS1K

Reminder : The Resort won't be accepting reservations until April 1st.

EDIT : Use promo code bike to make reservations.

All Yooperland SS1K

All Wisconsin SS1K

Edit ( 5-13-21 ) : The server is down for the ride webage. So, if anyone would like more info about either the All Yooperland SS1K or All Wisconsin SS1K, send me a pm and I'll send you a pm with several files attached about the rides including the registration forms, since I have no idea how long the server will be down. They are having a problem getting it back up for some unknown reason to me.

[email protected]

If the border re-opens before July 10th , I'll also post information about a Lake Superior SS1K and the U.P. - Ontario SS1K.
    Bigbob1, varnerju and siyeh like this.
  12. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i would love to do another SS 1000 in Canada and be able to go visit my relatives in Welland
    IBAJIM and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. Bullen

Bullen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's on the calendar, now if work will just allow me to have some fun this year, I'll be there.
    IBAJIM likes this.
  14. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Is anyone able to download the gpx file in to Basecamp? I'm getting "Unknown error opening imported file" message and can't load it. I have Basecamp vs 4.7.3 for a PC.
  15. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    MikeS :

Sometimes Basecamp doesn't like the GPX files I generate using Streets & Trips. Try it again - I ran the file through GPS Utility and that usually fixes the problem, BTW.

Hit your Reload or Update button and download the GPX file again. I think it will work now, it does for me now with Basecamp, and thanks for your post !

It looks like the GPX file for the All Wisconsin ride is working OK with Basecamp.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  16. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hate to be a Debbie downer, but I cross the border everyday and the word I get talking to the CBSA officers is probably not going to open this year. But we can hope, then again my selfish side loves the closed border, makes my job so much easier, no waiting in line at all.
  17. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    I just watched a spot on the news that said the U.S. is considering opening up the US/Canadian border possibly in May. I would think if this happens, Canada will also do the same. So maybe the Lake Superior and alternative U.P. - Ontario ride will also be offered - Time will tell.

There may be restriction such as only allowing those that have been vaccinated to be admitted.

I have the webpages for these other two rides ready to be posted BTW, and we have had our vaccinations, too.
    varnerju, drbuzzard and Bigbob1 like this.
  18. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    I just read this article about how things are changing for the worse in Ontario as far as the virus is concerned. Doesn't look good for the border re-opening.

Canada COVID news
  19. WTP07

WTP07 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fellas, we (Ontarians) are in the worst possible spot at the moment when it comes to Covid. ICU's are beyond 120% capacity, our vaccine rollout is a clusterf&^%. Even on the miniscule chance that the border opens this year, which I very much doubt it will, you really, REALLY do not want to have to use our hospitals at the moment. If a moose steps out in front of you, Covid or no, you are going to the hospital. At the moment our ICU's are evaluating your chances of survival on intake. If you have a less than 70% chance of survival in the triage Doc's opinion, you are not getting intubated, you are just left to die. That's the harsh reality right now. I really, REALLY want to ride in the mountains of NY, VT and CT again, as well as the UP, but we have to be patient. (Instead of being a patient, see what I did there?) Best of luck with this Yooperland ride, I hope to join you next year. Ride safe folks!
  20. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Good advice, IMHO.