July 2006 : Cdn. Maritime Trip

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kdude, May 13, 2006.

1. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this trip ? Did you see anything interesting or eat at a great place you would like to reccomend ? If you look at the map, i'm doing the trip counter clockwise...

Any suggestions would be welcome...

take a look a the link for a map of my adventure ride !:clap

http://i2.tinypic.com/zklimv.jpg

hp
  2. 919Maniac

919Maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that. It was a few years ago - GREAT trip!

Food - sorry, can't help you as I did it on the cheap and dint' eat at restaurants.

Camping - you've GOT to stay at the Meat Cove campground, it was awesome. I could see whales out at sea, etc.... You have to take a five mile dirt road to get there, but it's definitely doable on a GS. I did it on a fully loaded 600 Ninja, so you won't have problems.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Not being much of a planner (fear of commitment?), are reservations necessary on any of the ferries encountered along the route?
  5. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    http://www.novascotia.com/ride/

On the right hand side of this link you'll see an order form for a free NS motorcyle tour guide. Excellent book (hotels, campgrounds, maps, routes, repairshops, resturants, calender of events, etc....). Compact to. I'm sure they'll send one to you, or you can pick one up right across the NB NS border. Spending any time in Halifax?
  6. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much. I ordered one.
  7. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Thats a question I should have asked :eek1 I took it for granted I could just hop aboard
  8. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    With a bike you can hop on most ferries here. I have never reserved or been left behind in 35 yrs.

In Labrador or Nfld it is actually a challenge for the ' boys ' to shoehorn you in somewhere, why deny them this pleasure :freaky

If you are real nervous call them up and get the lay of the land.

Here is the Nfld ferry link:
    http://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/FerryServices/schedules.stm

When you hit Cape Breton do not ride straight from N Sydney to the Canso Causeway or vice versa.
    Take the Cabot Trail or you will forever kick yourself.
    Also the Meat Cove dead end, and always stay closest to the coast on any road where you have 2 choices
    ( like Chimney Corner / Whale Cove loop ).
    Here is the Goose Bay trip I did in '99.

http://www.geocities.com/translab99/

I did the Red Bay - Cartwright - Lewisporte loop last year and it is a sweet road, great scenery and the towns are fun.

:thumb
  9. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Thanks and your local too... can you recommend some excellent resto's in Nova Scotia ? Quality and value are good.. but I am not opposed to the more expensive resto's if they are worth the extra coin. LOBSTER.... SHRIMPS ...... SEAFOOD... Can't wait to try some of the local hot spots.. and if your free while i'm there why not join in on the fun, the Alexander Keith's are on me. :D

Howard
  10. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. GREAT info. Much obliged.

sul
  11. winmac

winmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No trip around the Cabot Trail would be complete without stoping at the chowder house in Neils Harbour. If your up for a little trip off the beaten track I can recomend the Big Intervale salmon lodge, you can ride off road from cheticamp or down from the highlands after taking in the views from Cape Clear.

http://margaree.capebretonisland.com/fishinglodge/
  12. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Howard, PM me when you are closer and hopefully I am here.
    Film jobs happen more in the summer so it's always a crap shoot getting me.
    The restaurant choices are huge, I'm not a good info source as we don't hit them much but there are lots in Hfx.

cheers. Tree
  13. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Moncton, the Hub of the Maritimes try Deluxe Fish and Chips and Goulds Fried Clams or fried clams at Deluxe. There are a number of Deluxes.

A family friend has an art studio in Peggys Cove. There is a large rock carving in the back yard (of what used to be their home) of Peggy and the Fisherman. I believe it is not the home anymore, haven't been there for a while. It is worth the trip to Peggys Cove. There was also a good restaurant in Peggys cove on the sea, haven't been there in years, it's a long story.

Lots of local beers all good in my books. Moosehead, Schooner, Keiths and others that I forget.