july norcal trip...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pierce, May 24, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    ok, come the first week of July, I'm gonna have 3-4 days to ride roads I've never seen... only constraint is I'm starting from Santa Cruz, and I have to end up on route 4 near Ebbets Pass. I'm going to be camping off my beemer....

Was sort of thinking of heading up the coast towards Fortuna, then taking 36 across to Red Bluff...

How accessible is the Sinkyone area? is Usal Rd -> Kenny -> Kings Peak -> 211/Mattole Rd -> Capetown ridable on a road bike (beemer r1100rs if you care) ? I like bad roads and don't mind 20-30 miles of hard pack dirt road on occasion as long as its not soft/loose sand/gravel (I am on an RS with MeZ4's, after all)...

Given a choice of 36 or 299 between the coast and I-5, which would you chose and why?

So, now I'm near Red Bluff or Redding... should I take 36 to Susanville, or 299 up towards Adin then down 139?
  2. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:

Ummm...

There is no 36 or 299 between the coast and 101. Both highways have their western termination at 101.

If you're looking for recommendations between the two heading east from 101, I highly recommend 36. For variety, topography, and length of uninterrupted goodness, 36 is my favorite road I've ridden in California. Between 101 and I-5 lies more fun than you could imagine. Heading west to east, just when you think you've seen and done it all, there is this truly funky rising, falling, curving section leading into Red Bluff. I break out laughing each time I ride it (fast). :thumb

Gas up before you start on 36, as there are few fueling opportunities. Depending on your range, you may have to take a little detour to Hayfork for gas, then return to 36.

All the RVs take 299.
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

ooops, brainfart. used to thinking of 1 as the coast route and 101 as the inland route. edited above to say coast to I5 :rofl

I show 145 miles from Fortuna to Red Bluff, I shouldn't have any problems with the nearly 6 gallons usable on my R1100RS.

And, ahhh, ok. 36 it is. I hate dodging AreVees.

what about east of i5? worth going farther north for 299 to 139, or just staying on 36 ? I've been to Lassen several times, so don't need to do that again.