jump starter, which brand are you using

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kurtlewis, Aug 26, 2015.

1. kurtlewis

kurtlewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which brand of jump starter are you using? Give me some advice on your own expericence. I would like to get one, but want to listen to some suggestion based on real usage. thanks.
  2. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Woodcock7800

Woodcock7800 n00b

Oddometer:
    High price for a 400 amp
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    The Antigravity one is $93 on Amazon... I have one and it is amazing! (...and there are "clones" (the quality of which I cannot attest to) on Amazon and elsewhere for around $50)
  5. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I have a "clone" and used it twice to jump my bike. Never any issues with it except the clamps are made for car batteries so it's a little difficult for one person to touch neg and pos at same time and start bike. It gets a lot of use keeping my tablet and phone charges ar work and on the road.
  6. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Antigravity (and ADVRider vendor to boot!),

'received one for Christmas, it's pretty slick. The Li holds a charge forever, it's small, have used it a few items for co-workers' parking lot rescues and it'll extend the life of a cell phone battery if needed. I would like them to offer a BMW/Powerlet-type plug for recharging, but it's easy enough to fab one's own.
  7. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Antigravity

Micro-Start XP-1 for a buddy's Christmas present. (Has Super Tenere)

Micro Start XP-3 for me. (NC700XA)

They are awesome, if not maybe a little spendy, but I've had poor luck with knock off stuff and don't like the idea of saving a few dollars with an electronic device I may be really counting on, only to have it fail on me. I try to tilt the odds against that in my favour hopefully, with these.

And ADV vendor support. :D
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
  8. fast neutron

fast neutron Lost soul

Oddometer:
    I have an anti-gravity XP-3. I've used it to boosts my KTM 950 and my Honda Civic. Works great.
  9. chassr

chassr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

I've had the Micro-Start XP-1 for about a year and am very happy with it.

Some folks swear by the clones, other swear at them. The cost saving wasn't worth it for me.
    YMMV...
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Antigravity XP-1
    Carried,but not used on bike yet.
    Worked very well starting my V6 SUV a few times when battery failing,also SO's V8 SUV.

JR356
  11. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    +6(?) Anti-gravity XP-1, Picked it up direct from the owner at his booth at MotoGP races in Austin this year. I think the race discount was around $70? Couldn't pass it up. Haven't used it on the bike yet but I can vouch it will start a Honda Ridgeline 3.5Ltr V-6 multiple times and still show a pretty good charge
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to be a big fan of the Antigravity until recently when the battery pack expanded to the point of splitting the case open. In the past I has said to go with the Antigravity because of the fire hazards with a LI battery pack. I contacted Antigravity and they offered a slight discount on a new unit, I could buy it on Amazon for much less. I will be trying a Chinese knockoff unit this time.

[​IMG]
    XICAQUE, slime and stuckinUT like this.
  13. 686 Sahara

686 Sahara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same with less than a year old. Called Antigravity and they wouldn't warranty it since I purchased it from Amazon, said it was a knock off and they have legal actions going on with Amazon. After a couple of phone calls with Amazon of India we were able to talk with a USA rep and got a full refund. Still deciding on what to purchase next.
  14. blkadvR

blkadvR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XICAQUE and slime like this.
  15. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    Whoa, that's concerning. Expansion like that usually means overcharge and/or over-temperature causing the electrolyte to sublimate. I'm surprised AG did not treat it more seriously. If it wasn't due to an incompatible charger or high temperature storage, it's indicative of a defect. A breach of the casing can easily lead to a thermal runaway reaction and fire. Yikes.
  16. kurtlewis

kurtlewis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh this is too bad....i was just wondering whether it is fine to get one since most of you suggest this..but now...no that good
  17. funnybigboy

funnybigboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used my Anti Gravity XP 3 yesterday for the first time. Bike fired right up..
  19. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus 10 for the Antigravity! Don't let a little swelling scare you...its supposed to a be an adventure, right????
    nk14zp and Yinzer Moto like this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

It was charged with their charger, then in my saddle bags with my clothes. It sat on the opposite side from the exhaust to keep it away from heat. It could have gotten warm in there but the outside temps never got over 100 (one day may have been close). After a week, this happened. Once I noticed this, I discharged it by charging my phone several times. I consider myself lucky that it did not combust and light my bike on fire.