jump starter, which brand are you using

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by kurtlewis, Aug 26, 2015.

1. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Antigravity - was looking at the XP-1 as it was compatible with the tire inflator. Intended use is on my Yamaha XMAX 300 and for car/truck trips. Is there any reason to move up? I've studied the website but might be missing something. Or move down to the Micro, etc?
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    What is your opinion wrt? :
    Further,do I understand correctly that the XP-10 is currently $140 ?

I ask because I do not see that 30% reflected on the website.
  3. ozmoses

Oddometer:
    So, you do charge/discharge the unit regularly then?
  4. nvklr

nvklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    use code BF30 at checkout.
  5. ozmoses

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Thanks.
  6. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the micro sport from AntiGravity. It has been great. Have used it more starting cars and trucks then bikes, but it is still in perfect condition after four years.
  7. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear. Ordered XP-1 and tire inflator today on BF discount.
  8. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I picked up the one Costco is selling, mostly because I needed a larger capacity phone charger and the battery on my DL, the stock 2011 battery I thought was getting weak,(when really it was a dirty starter switch)

It's a decent bit of kit and keeps my mind at easy and will charge two phones twice.

I expect the jumper would work fine to jump a bike battery and just ok to jump a small import battery but wouldn't fly trying to jump the Ford with its 7.3 and dual chassis battery set up.
  9. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delayed reply as we were out for the holiday, saw that you already ordered as well...but just wanted to reassure you're good..no reason to bump up size unless you really were looking to be able to jump start the diesels or just wanted a larger capacity and if you went small the inflator would have to be powered via an alternate source so I think the XP-1 was perfect :thumb
    nvklr likes this.
  10. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you recall whether or not you could charge your XP-5 through the USB port, or did it have to use its proprietary adapter? I know the newer units can be charged through USB but cant find into the on the XP5.

Thanks!
  11. Exurban

Exurban Long timer

Oddometer:
    I no longer have it but it was a proprietary adaptor, not usb.
  12. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    I have a Noco brand that I picked up from Autozone. So far so good.
  13. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    24" EarthX Quick Connect Cable for easy charging/jumping your battery! (earthxbatteries.com)

Says it will handle 400 Amps. Designed to take a jumpstart or can charge. I think its a winner. Who knows what the blue connector is on these? I don't have my jump battery on it but it looks a lot like these. Hoping it fits as my jump starter doesn't have SAE connectors (they can't handle the current, so I'm told).

Will let you know how it works out but this seems to be well worth the upgrade over the cheap pigtails. Of course I just upgraded from Yuasa and Westco to an Odyssey battery for my GS so I probably won't need it.

Outside of making these, this is the only quick access jump solution for those with batteries buried under the tank!
  14. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EC5 connector
  15. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't read the thread, just answering the thread title.

I have an Antigravity XP-10. Bought the battery harness that replaces the jump leads with clamps. I can hold the ring terminals on the battery and hit the starter button at the same time. I leave the jump harness in the storage bag. I have had to use it a few times to jump my bike. I carry the wall charger, car charger, jump leads, usb>micro cable, usb>mini, and my USB charging cable I made in a nylon zip up pouch.

I usually leave it on the bike. Until winter hits. I bring it in the house. I fear too hot or too cold could ruin it. Or at least shorten its life. As expensive as it is I'd like it to last a long time. I think I've had it 2 or 3 years now. Not sure. Would definitely buy again.
    WDG, Antigravity and CoatsEast like this.
  16. clogan

clogan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing new on this thread in a while...

I'm thinking of purchasing a jump starter/booster pack for my bike. Got narrowed down (I think) to two models: the Anti-Gravity Sport, and the NOCO GB20. Both seem to have good reviews, a one-year warranty, and are widely available.

But the NOCO is a good bit less expensive than the AG.

Plus, the AG specifically says "not intended for large V-twin motorcycles", in spite of being rated for autos of up to 4 liters. My bike is a 1300cc V-twin (KTM super Duke GT)...wonder if that's "large"?

The AG is a bit smaller, but has a much higher mAh capacity (7,500 vs. 2,000).

I plan to store this booster pack in my motorcycle side case, parked in a stand-alone garage. Since it's basically a lithium battery, is there a risk of fire that I ought to consider?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
  17. Exurban

Exurban Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’re looking at the GB20 you might want to consider the GB40 for a few dollars more, ok $20. Same size but more amps.

I don’t know what specific chemistry these jump starters are using but, guessing it isn’t LiFePo4 which is considered the safest LI chemistry. I suggest that because it also has less energy density resulting in a larger package. Most LI stories involving fires and thermal runaway are associated with the other types.
    Whiteeyelashes and 9Realms like this.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    Possibly that's an oblique reference to high-compression air cooled twins, such as those that turn over very slowly even when a healthy battery is already in situ.

I'd wager your KTM would place demonstrably less demand on a jump pack than would a built 103" engine.

I know that my Antigravity XP-1 will jump start the 4 cyl. engine in my neighbor's Mazda CX-5 after he ignored my counsel to replace the original, failing battery. If it can do that, it should handle normal motorcycle engines with similar competence.
  19. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve found AG customer service to be very responsive. Email/call/text Chad at AG
    Yellowjacket and nvklr like this.
  20. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Noco GB70,,its a soso starter battery,but it also has a light,,and a 12v line out which I find very useful... I used the line out to power my heated gloves last winter,, the generator on my RE Himalayan is on the weak side and during a long winter trip the last thing you want is a flat battery..The Noco lasted2 hour of a 2.30mins journey.A negative, though is a mains charger does not come with the battery , you have to buy that separately,which is a bummer...
    cyclejohn likes this.