June 26,27,28 Tahoe Rubicon Exploration

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by stevele5, May 13, 2009.

1. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    arriving at lune lake on friday afternoon after a short drive from fresno in the lush toyota we found a nice spot to camp at the start of the trail.

After unpacking and unloading we started riding around the granite and then rob and i blasted right into the trail, there were alot of vehicles entering at this time and we were able to get a good look at the terrain, we turned back to camp from about a half mile in, my chain came off and rob needed to make some adjustments to the rubicon klr.

While rob stayed at camp to farkle, monti and i headed out to the "other camp site" a quick hello and off to the sore we ran for some "ice" well we did not know that at the store there was also a cafe, feeling obligated to support the local businesses monti banks bought us some cheeseburgers and salad with the obligitory peach cobbler and ice cream for desert. we got a map of the rubicon on a bandana and i wore it for the whole ride and it was referred to many times.

on the way down to the store we saw a toyota truck coming up the hill with its bumper dragging and sparks flying everywhere, turns out the guy had something very heavy in the back and the truck could barely get it up the hill:lol3 after directing him to the proper camp he unloaded heavy object and took it out to play on the trail:deal

ok so its all starting to come together, the pieces are in place the roster has been narrowed down to 6 riders. montibanks, hst, ricecooker, rob, steve,jeff.

rice a roni set up a tent and rob slept on the ground and i had a cot up in the back of the truck away from all the critters. riceman and i sat around the fire and chatteed until about 12am, good thing he brought the wood that i was supposed to bring, turns out that one piece of washed up oak from some kind of flood would do the trick and burn all night, i grew weary of waiting on riceless who was keeping us fireless and started his precious log myself after a slow start it flamed like a queer all night long. turns ount riceless and myself have many things in common and it was great to get to know (and now ill switch to direct first person for the squishy effect) you Brent and hear about your wife and kids and some of your life experience, i will go ahead and assume its the start of a long and rewarding relationship.

o god i am going to puke, now back to the good stuff.

ok so here we go, up in the morning riceless made coffee and we waited for quite a while for robs second boot to be put on. enterd the traqil at about 930 am and started runnin g into la style traffic real fast. i have never seen so many 4x4s in one area in my life. winding through passing 4x4s riceless was not bashful at all about cutting off jeeps whiole i politely requested passage saving our reputation. the first challenge was a steep off camber section i think it was walker hill? riceless and i arrived to study our line after reviewing several poosibilities and deciding it was too dangerous we forged ahead. riceless first up the right along the dirt birm and staight up the off camber slab through some jagged outcropping at the top yes he makes it all the way.....................................no he wipes out right at the end, too bad:lol3 he almost made it and to hear him tell it it wasnt even really a fall because of all the provision defining a fall he allows himself:deal

ok its my turn, there is an audience of about 20 jeepers waiting to see some 2 wheel carnage, same line arounfd the birm hit the slab the dr power is unstoppable and the shinko grabs like a jew his last dollar, slings me straigh up and over the obstacle i go whew got lucky that time. to the top to see if riceless is ok after his spill. now for the rest of the gang. i hike down to see where everyone is and find them coming up around the mass of jeeps one by one. next jeff tries and i only heard of a semi spectactular get off. then gets up it fine, then toms turn the maximum powered husaberg proves to be too much on the first attempt and over it goes with a cloud of white smoke following, religns the beast and slides right up the hill no sweat, i hear that rob made it look easy. and i thinks monti made it on the second attempt

then from there its business as usual for a while, jeff rice less and i are starting to duke it out a little bit, that brent guy sure is competitive, here i am just trying to get along with my brothers and he is acting like its some kind of contest. well just so he wouldnt fell left out the three of us dualed for about an hour back anfd forth. being a trials champion i expected alot more out of him, but i cut him a little slack after all he was on a ktm:lol3

at one point we were on the side of the trail resting and some trials bike guys rode by one of them says who is on the 950 i saifd that is me, he said your a badass dude and gave me the royal man to man love, brent heard this and came sprinting from behind the trees almost trips over a root but before he can address the injustice the trials guys blazes off down the trail, you have never seen an old guy move so fast and still be so inaffective:lol3

back on the bikes to stay ahed of the onslot of jeeps we are winding our way through endless obstacles knowing that we are covering lots of ground and should be wrapping this thing up early at this pace:eek1

more to come stay tuned
  2. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Hahah.
  3. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
  4. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    lets hear a little from your perspective
  5. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I was hesitant to log on this morning for fear of bad news or no news, but instead my daughter & I have been in stitches :poser as Mrs Riceless read aloud, Stevele5's opening account of the ride. :clap

That stuff about me bein' competitive:nah Not true...
    Steve you are a great writer! :nod But I'm a btter speller.

I'm relieved to hear everyone is out. Great group of riders! I'm so lucky to have met these guys. Thanks to ADV Rider for making that connection possible. :wave

I'll load photos today and chime in later.

Thanks again to the DSRider crew for inviting me along.

Anybody else a little sore today? :kurt
  6. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    just to be sure i took 4 naproxin, is that spelled right? taking the day off sort of and getting a massage.

maybe rice a roni can be the editor, lets hear a little from you perspective boy:deal
  7. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:

But

[​IMG]
  8. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    Ricecookie has all the pics and he won't post them
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I though he was a Ricecake.

Anyway... great job guys!!!! Really awesome!! :clap
  10. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    Steve, I am laughing my A$$ off! Excellent write up! :clap
  11. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Understatement of the century... One of my knees is the size of a grapefruit.

Mosquitos suck - tired lunch break over. Must work more. I will post more later... Need sleep... Still operating on ~7 hours since Saturday morning.

~

Michael
  12. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    The hard drive on my six year old desktop is full so uploading photos is slow.

But not this slow

[​IMG]
  13. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Kinda looks like you're resting here

[​IMG]

:eek1 Can't wait to hear, "The Rest of the Story" :ear

In the mean time I think I'll take a nap. I took today off too.
  14. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Here's Tom at the first slab.

[​IMG]

And this is the only Rob shot I got, pullin' a blockpass on Montibank. He rode sweep and the group got kinda spread out so I didn't see him much after this.

[​IMG]
  15. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    whos that guy in his swim trunks on the rubicon?
  16. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:

Dude,

we were all just stoked you picked the trunks over the flannel PJs. :shog

[​IMG]
  17. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Enough flirting you two. Lets see more pics.
  18. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was great. Im feeling it and i'm pooped. I had a great time. It was a great adventure all of the way through. The rubicon shows no mercy for even the escapes are tough, technical off camber, steep and just easy enough to let you pass. The definition of Rubicon is as follows:

"a point at which any action taken commits the person taking it to a further course of action that cannot be avoided."

That says it all.

Herea link to the few pics I have.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/shazamdrz/RUBICON?authkey=Gv1sRgCJXOltfF9syVcw#slideshow/5352923330850448562

I'll post up more when i wake from my coma.
  19. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    what i hate to do is wrap the theme of this thing around ricepuffdaddy, but as i picture the ride, the trail and all the happenings he keeps popping up. well, just for an example lets just narrow it down to one subject say.......................................water. now everyone knows going into this that it is grueling hot dusty and draining on the resources. so everyone would be sure to bring enough water, the proplem is that there is not enough water in lake tahoe to satisfy the likes of waterless950. how i became the official water sponsor of the endless h20 pit is beyond me. nevertheless there i was supplying my water reserves to him at every stop. then we finally get to a small lake crossing over a large cement curb also known as a damm. looked like a good place to stop for an extened rest the poor old man was just sbout out of gas. part of the problem for this was jeffs fine leadership to take us off the easy granite paved bypass and take us right thru the old sluce. not only that we had to go back up some nasty drop off that i barely made it down. well here is how some obstacles went, line up the bike pick the projected line, wait for a second so the realization tha t it cant be done sinks in. then in one just raw leep of faith the clutch slides out and the throttle goes on, the legs go back and hold on for dear life making small adjustments to the line as needed. every situation that i came to had one sole purpose, and that was to prepare one for the climb up escalade hill. so back to the water. jeff leads riceless myself and himself into the sluce, he passes me and takes command of the rough riding. im following him down some really nasty stuff, the kind of terrain that only water should travel down. i know riceless is behind me but jeff and i begin to pull away from the old guy. just to be fair, he did have to be pulled out from under the "mighty" (as you ass kissers like to call it) 950, about 15 minutes before hand. that is because after i successfully guided the highly underrated and extremely under talked about dr over some nasty stuff and was in a position to watch the legend eat shit and the bike sitting on him like a fat woman. from the perch above him i sat patiently and watched to see if he was going to be able to get himself out of this mess without help, you see, a person cant just walk up and start touching that fatty without the master coming unglued, remind me to tell you of the punk on cadilac hill. so as he began to mumble something about needing help i slowly made my way over to him only to be beckoned at a higher rate of speed. lifting the 950 off him he brushed himself off and caught his breath in the bright hot sun with no shade nearby. that gave me a chance to bend back my shift lever which would soon be broken off for good. just to give you a litlle hint of the old guys condition heading into the old sluce. jeff and i hauled ass down to the turnout to the easy granite part and just left the poor bastard to fend for himself in that hell hole of a sluce. by the time he made it to us he was out of water again and begging for h20. jeff brought a filter and we began filling our containers (the ones that werent crimped and squashed into plastic ball you could golf with). and here is that story, see at home i have two containers, one for garbage and one for recycling, because "I" recycle:deal and he says it with with this tone of superiority that makes you want deny him water next time. so while montibanks who has caught us and is enjoying a swim with jeff in the nice chilly water, i fill all my jugs with fresh filtered water jump in the lake and walk back up to the bikes, old man winter is up from his nap and needs some water but cant make the trip down to the lake,so i fill his 3 bottles up for him, and bring them up the hill delivered. at this point a small group of morons is standing around gauking at the 950, the dr is no more than 8 feet away and i couldnt pay someone to talk about it. so not only is riceless using all the water he is getting all the attention for his bike, and acting like he doesnt like the hooha.

jeff and montibanks finish at the river and the four of us are off again amognst warnings of cadilac hill. i was able to get one guy to pay some attention to the dr but he went the wrong direction and made fun of it (bastard). he was impressed in the low cost of it though. did i mention that riceless wiped out two times in the sluce and was barely able to get he bike off him? so were off. jeff monti steve and riceless. the next thing to come along was the sluce box wow was that fun. the 950 was bumping my tire and honking at me, he did this all day. so in order to teach him some respect, i saw a line across the trail that was about 40 feet long and packed with 8-12 inch boulders. now normally i would walk my way through that section but this time i decided to ride the tops, leaving the "mighty" in dr dust i decended the rest of the sluce box at a good clip, never to see riceless again til he was out of water at the bottom of cadilac hill. there we ran into some trouble with some jeeps guys, kind words were exchanged and we began to share the h20 with riceless. so now is where the story stsrts to get interesting. jeeps, drunks, ropes, let go, abandonement, fear, montibanks final run. it was all there and continued to unfold well into the night even weller for some................................
  20. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    :poser hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha