June 26,27,28 Tahoe Rubicon Exploration

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by stevele5, May 13, 2009.

1. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    And the amazing thing about this delusional rant is that it really is loosely based on stuff that actually happened!

After leading me into the difficult route on the only place that had an easier option, I watched Steve & Jeff dissappear as I stood above, surveying my wretched situation.

[​IMG]
  2. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The three of us made it 2/3 of the way through the True Old Sluce before escaping out onto the slab (after which your so friggin exausted it was hard too) and down to buck lake.
    Montibanks... How did you go? By-pass or no by-pass?
  3. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    One fact that should not be overlooked or understessed is that I DID NOT BRING ENOUGH WATER!

I live & ride in the 100+ degree heat of the desert and three bottles will do me fine for 8-10 hours. For whatever reason, that was nowhere near enough on the Rubicon. Shazamdrz saved the day with his water filter machine. Without that, and the water Steve gave me, and the water that Jeeper chick gave me, and the water that I stole outta that Landcruiser, and the water I took from that little kid after I knocked him down, and the water I snaked from that pitbull's bowl, I wouldn't have made it. Thanks to everyone! :thumbup

This is where Steve & Jeff, "saw a line across the trail that was about 40 feet long and packed with 8-12 inch boulders. now normally i would walk my way through that section but this time i decided to ride the tops, leaving the "mighty" in dr dust i decended the rest of the sluce box at a good clip, never to see riceless again til he was out of water at the bottom of cadilac hill."

[​IMG]

This is where Steve lifted The Mighty 950 about two inches to free my trapped leg. Without that assistance I surely would have been eaten later that night by Bears or maybe Chipmunks.

[​IMG]

My leg was sandwiched between The Mighty 950 and this rock.

[​IMG]

Then they took off down the trail while I took a breather and waited for traffic.
    Beautiful place.

[​IMG]
  4. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    How's this compared to Gold Mountain and John Bull?
  5. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you know how it is... you see a line. you look at it and the bike goes there. You also know about target fixation (i hope). you know who ever taught you how to ride told you "don't look at what you don't want to hit"? Well if your eyes are open your looking at what you want to avoid... no matter where you look. refer to definition of Rubicon.

"a point at which any action taken commits the person taking it to a further course of action that cannot be avoided."

Good night.
  6. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:

I knew somebody would ask that.:nod

Take John Bull and Gold Mountain, butt them together, run it one way, then turn around & go the other way, then again and again until you have equaled the mileage of Rubicon.

[​IMG]

That, on a scale of one to ten, with the Rubicon being a 10, would be a 6.87. :deal
    Whattaya think Dunerat? Zat sound about right?

I don't think I've dropped The Mighty 950 on JB/GM. Rubicon 4 or 5 times depending on who you ask. One of them was a full on, get pitched, wipeout.

You & The Mighty DR would would love it John. :nod

Steveie5 tore it up on his.
  7. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:

On the up side it simpliies the desicion making process.:jjen

Steve your wit is legendary. Have you ever thought of going pro?

I'm a bit nervous about Tom & Rob's lack of input. Did they really make it out?:ddog

They're probably sleeping. Maybe this will wake 'em up.

Tr1200 Walker Hill run, take two.

[​IMG]
  8. Trail Flyer

Trail Flyer Road ""closed""?

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]Congratulations to all of you who conquered the Rubi. It’s very difficult on a small bike and I thought impossible on a 950. Even with the pics as proof I still can’t imagine how Brent could get up and down those boulder washes![/FONT]

[​IMG]
  9. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    i saw them personally with my own two eyes they got out, they are not too happy that we left them for dead and wont post to avoid saying something that is in print. i know tom was exausted and needs at least 3 days recovery and you wont get any koombiyahs from rob.

none the less the trip was one of a kind and i dont plan on doing any re-rube's in the near future.

I think the h20 issue was due to the amount of muscle usage and the constant never rest for one second nature of the trail. this was a trail of the mind. the 4x4's can drink, laugh, smoke, and just basically sit there and maybe have to think now and then through some of the tricky shit.

on bikes like ours there is no rest.

when they said its all easy after cadilac hill i thought they meant my kind of easy. it was not easy yet and i had already given my mind and body the day off, planned on putting out to the tune of the mighty 650 in cruise mode. took me one hill to reel it all back in remember that i am referencing my thoughts to guys that dont need many to drive these trails. then it is back in full fight mode. finally the trail starts to level out into dirt road.

so water usage triples and quadruples for us because we are using the most powerful energy consuming object on the face of the planet. thinking is most tricky when you life is on the line and this trail gave me that feeling at times. so as the body is using all resources to keep muscles working the worlds most powerful hard drive needs to be cooled when running at full capacity for what, about 7.5 hours of level ten use, that requires h20 in mass quantities. one thing that bannanaless did not mention was his lack of potassium. he was instructed to load up his system for use on the trail, bunches of bannanas were brought and he ate one. i think i loaded up with 15 bannanas up to the ride. bannanas and h20. if you dont believe it watch what they feed mouse at the stops.

so riceman next time you see a bunch of b's laying about dont monkey around and peel into some brain food.

and being the celebrity that you are maybe you can get a chequita endorsement on the side of the 950

the last stage of the ride report is cooking and will be served up soon, i thinks its the best part and really sums up the drama of the ride..........................................................................
  10. chip

chip Follow Me

Oddometer:
    :lurk Good stuff Dr. Steve, M.D. or is it DR Steve, M.D.
  11. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Well Hell. All I got is a goofy video of me playing around on the first slap with the Sherpa. I'm not going to post that here since it's child's play compared to this stuff. The ride you guys took would have had me crying like a baby sitting on a rock somewhere unable to continue and paying some 4x4 whatever it would take to haul my little 250 and me out of there. That was GNARLY riding up there and you guys need to be commended for your skill and courage. Super!

The area is just beautiful. I managed to kayak a little on Sunday and I did ride around Airport Flats with GeoMoto. He took this street tire Cagiva and rode around me like he was on a freeway ride while I tried to learn what to do in the rocks. :lol3

Thanks for the pics! Awesome!
  12. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
  13. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    Someone which you don't medical advice from
  14. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    when is the sand which doctor planning on dusy?
  15. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    there is placerville coming in august, maybe the end of august 1st of september?
  16. redwave

redwave well...seasoned noob

Oddometer:
    (center of the known riding world) Utah for now

yeah, that...
  17. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
  18. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Pictures my f-ing Ass! I didn't have the energy to take ONE snap shot.
    But if it's pic's I need to prove it OR do it over.......well, I guess it'll never be proven 'cause I ain't goin' back!:D

Cheers-
    HST
  19. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    SS-
    Made it out. But not b4 sleeping on the trail after 2:30 am somewhere above Cadillac Hill. Only 8+ miles to go but I couldn't do it. Left my bike and started hiking....couldn't do that either......finally passed out on a rock.

Nice seeing you again and nice Sherpa! I woulda gladly traded a Husaberg for that thing:evil . See you next ride.
    H.S.Tom
  20. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    This is my first chance to get online. Just left the hospital- got some broken ribs and good painkiller:D . But wanted to say- some folks really impressed me this weekend.

1. Brent (Riceless) got a 950 through the whole thing. Unfuckingbelievable....enough said.

2. Mike (Montibanks) after getting his bike to the top of Cadillac hiked down and got mine to the top. Thanks for the hand-out bro'!

3. Somewhere around Cadillac, which Rob (DSRider) got his KLR up with no help, he started riding me bitch on the back of his KLR. His skill two-up was amazing. But alas, I had to hike and eventually passed out. When I awoke, he and Montibanks had built a small fire next to my wee, feminine body to keep me warm. Thanks guys.

Cheers Guys-
    Tom