June 26,27,28 Tahoe Rubicon Exploration

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by stevele5, May 13, 2009.

1. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    And FWIW-

Rob and I took no bypass/ escape routes. Much to my detriment and Rob's glory!

Cheers
  2. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    How....or when did ya break your ribs Tom? No wonder you weren't out infront of the mighty dr!
  3. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    WOW busted ribs, I had to ride out of a really easy trail twice with busted ribs, and neither was rubicon, just some easy arse trail ride. That is a testiment to your determination that you were able to get back on at all. No wonder you were panting in your sleep! Damn sorry man, I said everyone made it out without broken bones, I suppose I jumped the gun on that. What about yer knee, doc say anything about that?

One knee still as big as a grapefruit here, but it just feels warm and stiff, no real pain to mention.

~

Michael
  4. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Wow. Sorry to hear about the ribs. Man, you slept out in the woods on a boulder in the Rubicon! That's a great story to tell. I hope that story doesn't hurt too much, though. Heal well and take it easy.

I'm going to take the bike of f the hauler rack tomorrow and ride around Mono/Mammoth easy stuff. Drove in from Travertine hot springs this morning. There's been a bunch of dual sporters out today coming and going. Thunder storms due tomorrow and then cooling off after that. Big fireworks show at one of the lakes on the 4th and free fishing on July 4th in Mammoth area! Come check it out if you guys can. Nice and easy peasy rockless roads here.

Yeah. Don't call Riceless Rockless. :deal

Suz
  5. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Wow Tom! Rough times, huh?

My mind was reeling with all kinds of different scenarios for you guys and none of 'em were that great. Sorry I wasn't able to help at all. At the end of the day it took every ounce of energy to keep myself out of the "victim" category.

Great meeting you and I'm sure we'll ride together again....somewhere else.
  6. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    LMFAO +1000
  7. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sleeping on the Rubicon? You might want to wait and read this after your ribs heal(hope they heal quick) as I hear it hurts to laugh with broken ribs.

It was late October and I had just got back from picking up my brand new 01 WR250 from Oregon. MrsTahoeacr said dinner would be ready in an hour. I was Jonesin to go for a short break-in ride. I told her I would ride in to maybe the top of Cadalac. I new it took me 42 minutes to ride from my house to Rubicon Springs. I figured I would go half way in and back out. I only had maybe an hour of lite anyways. The WR was still bone stock with the airbox cover on it and that little pee shooter muffler insert. I thought cool, I can sneak up on wildlife! Being a short ride, I didn't take any water and only wore 1 jersey. Riding thru the neighborhood on the new scoot was great. Soo quiet not a sole looked over at me. The trail was peaceful and vacant. Very little 4x's go thru in October cause it's freakin cold at night to be camping. I get in to some nice flat rocks about 1 mile from the Cadalac hill. As I give it a little throttle to pop the front wheel up and over a rock ledge, the engine coughs and dies. I think just a little jetting problem being up here at 6k-7k elevation. An hour later and I still haven't got that f#*kin new Yamaha to start. I was wearing a heart rate monitor and my pulse never went below 200. At least I'm burning calories. I decide to try and push it towards Cadalac and bump start it down the hill. By the time I get there it's getting real dark. Just enough lite however to see the big rocks. First attempt didn't work. Got to figure how to hold this compression release and the clutch lever at the same time. Set-up guys at dealers never put these things were they should be. Second try and she's turning over but won't start. Luckily, it's a long hill with enough slope to keep it going. She finally lights up and I am not to easy on her even if it is a cold motor. I turn around and head out. The headlight makes pretty good light for a stocker and things are going well. I get back about 1/4 passed where it died the first time and cough, she dies again. Crap! It's now pitch black in there. Can't see a damn thing. I decide to push it out as I don't want to leave my brand new bike in there. I know it can't be that far and I should make it out by 3 am. I pull the compression release and hold it while I kick as fast as I can. This gives enough revolutions to actually light the trail to see were to push. Hours later I am totally whiped out. I decide to lay down and sleep a little. I find some tree limbs and lay them down for bedding up against a big fallin log. Saw this on a movie some where. Typical hollywood, it's a bunch of crap. Didn't soften the dirt, just made pine needles stick me. I don't know how long I slept but I awoke freezing. What the hell, I will push a little and warm up. In the mean time, MrsTahoeacr new something was up. She drove the truck over there and went in as far as she could. Getting out and yelling my name. Must have been what woke me up. Her knowing that this is not like me to miss dinner, called the hospitals and the Sheriffs to see if there was a report of a dead Yamaha and someone arrested for shooting it. So, after a couple more sleep sessions waking up freezing, freeking out of how quiet it is and were are the bears and cougars, I contemplate walking and leaving the bike. On the West shore, we would see bears at least twice a week. Even saw mountain lion tracks in my neighbors driveway. I could be a cougar snack. Fear is setting in with dehydration. Am I still thinking straight? Just then I hear something. Definately mechanical. A while later I see lights. It is Friday night. Someone must be trying to do the trail. As they approach, I see it is a couple of real beaters. A Bronco II that has the top cut off due to a rollover and a Toyota p/u. HHmm, my bike could fit in that pick-up. I talk to them and try to get a ride out. The main kid isn't haven't it. He is dedicated to do this trail by Sunday. Time for new strategy. I look at the biggest kid there. He is definately drunk and looks to be the best scraper. He is wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I figure he isn't cold do to the alcohol content. I start talking to him as my strategy goes into motion. His buddies had just came by his house and grabbed him to go. He was already drunk then and said what the hell.
    "Did you bring a sleeping bag?"
    "No, I was just going to crash in the truck".
    "Dood,(having to use proper dialect) it's gunna be like 30 degrees out here tonight".
    " A, really! that cold?"
    "At least. Give me a ride home. I just live in that neighborhood. Got a big living room with a fireplace and you can all crash there".
    The big kid goes into motion and convinces everyone to hall me out. We get to my house at about 300am. The wife is relieved, happy and laughing. She make a huge pot of spagetti to feed all the kids. We all crash. The next morning one of the kids says he woke up and had to pee. Heads for the hallway and sees Kodi, our hi-bred wolf staring at him and not looking none too friendly. He quickly exits the front door for a tree. They leave in the morning to try again. These were all pretty stock trucks with no lockers. I didn't feel bad cause I knew they would never make it. Sunday we see the same kids up on Mt Rose as we were driving to Reno. They broke down in there and decided to turn around and drive out.

Have I slept in the Rubicon? Ahh yeess, I have slept on the Rubicon.

Welcome to our small but hardy club.
  8. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I tried to tell these guys how bad it was and I think they did a hell of a job making it! :thumb

I too spent the night on Cadillac on my first run. The Jeep is down to 1 wheel drive (after my helicopter ride, I took the locker out and put the spider gears back in- it's a lunch box locker- so I wouldn't worry about breaking another axle). One wheel drive in that the "mechanics" from Jeep Jamboree didn't torque the pinion nut down tight enough and the pinion fell into the diff and somehow the spider gears all ate themselves. So the rear end is done. Then I come to realize that the front vacuum system that engages the right front wheel is buggered and that wheel doesn't work. So I'm down to the driver's front wheel. Not enough to get out with the horrific noises coming from the rear and Cadillac isn't the easiest.

So the Jeep Jamboree guy that they left to help me had to go to work the next day and busted a rear U Joint and couldn't wait for us. He also fried his battery and had to BACK up Cadillac with only the front end working and no lights other than the flashlight his girlfriend had. So this guy had his own fish to fry and couldn't help me any longer.

So, after seeing bears in Rubicon Springs the night before, I knew better than to keep anything in the Jeep resembling food. I took the time to string up the food which totally pissed off my g/f at the time and we just slept in the cab. Sure enough she woke up to a bear trying to get to the strung up cooler. The next day, 3 separate vehicles had to get us to where we could finally go under our own power and call a friend to come and get us from the Bay Area where I had to get a truck and trailer to tow the Jeep home.

That is the short version, but suffice it to say, I've had to hike the Rubicon in the middle of the night and slept out there in not the best of conditions. It is not for the faint of heart at all.
  9. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    But not impossable.

I know some may not have enjoyed our ride as much as myself, but I liked the challenge. And now I have terrific story to tell!

An 92 DR and a 07 KLR made it admitidly thier riders on those machines themselves were in GREAT physical shape, and exhausted. Mindset and determination has a lot to do with it. Having enough water is helpful as well.

Although I have told myself I will NEVER do this ride again, I catch myself thinking "Well next time..." so I must have enjoyed some part of it.

~

Michael
  10. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    I'll join ya Mike.
  11. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    ershim
  12. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    three
  13. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear everybody made it home :clap

We waited round the N shore campground till bout noon fer word of the ????

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I bow down to you guys
  14. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
  15. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had I been home that week-end I would have been there with you guys. On my 450 though, as I don't have the energy to ride the 990 thru there. You guys did great. Pictures don't show what it really is like.
  16. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    im waiting at the bottom of cadillac hill, i know this because some open wheel jeeps were struggling. last time i saw the other riders we made a pact to help each other up cadillac hill. so after about 45 minutes or so i hear the non mistakable sound of the drz 400 with jeff on board, a liitle trouble but makes it through the first section

then comes montibanks on the reliable xr 400 after some debate on the line, cruises right on up

the exausted riceenlergyless rides up last, a little bit of trouble with the first section, much of the time we have been waiting for some jeepers to get their rigs up with wenches, very slow going but we patiently wated enjoying the time to rest. one of the jeepers tries to help, big mistake as most of the time riceless likes to be helpless. the jeeper points out that the 950 needs to be wenched up just like they were. no thanks, one of the older crankier jeep pricks points out that they would like to get moving and could we please hurry, brent pipes off with something to the effest of (fo) the jeepers then point out that this is not a motorcycle trail but a 4x4 trail. i think we were too tired and bent on getting to the top to argue samantics with a bunch of pricks at this point. they moved on and we rested while they wenched the jeeps up the hill.

i remember 4 tough spots on the hill, the next one i tried to go around but that proved to be too tough. we built a ramp of rocks and each of us rode up the ramp and made it up ok, the 950 choked out halfway due to carb malfunction and we steadied the beast for a fresh start and up he went.

the next section something happened to montibanks, like a kid who gets pushed arounfd the school yard all year and then finally snaps. montibanks snapped, i think he was frustrated by the lack of momentum getting up and decided to change that, well next thing you know with one burst of speed and 10 hail mary's banks is at the top of cadilac with a righteous hoot and hollar, this is the time and day that montibanks conquered all. he did what none of us were able to.

his energy fed us and we each made our way to the top. not before some young jeepers came along and assisted us. they had lots of input and even offered to ride the 950 up the rest of the way, no thanks. the final obsticle proved to be a bit much for the old guy and we pushed the hefty load up to the top, not before the you guy helping was holding on to one side of the handle bars and brent was holding the other, each pulling they were fighting one another foer control, brent says, "let go" the kid doesw and the mighty falls straight to the ground, one last heave up and 5 more minutes rest

at the top now, refueling and getting ready for the easy part. this is where the story gets a little dark. i believe i hear the klr at the bottom and montibanks goes to investigate. i take off up the trail and jeff brent follow.
    the trail did only get easiert than cadilac but still gruelling for quite a while, slow as i can jeff catches up and i stop to install a new shifter, (broke off half way through) no need to ever get out of first so i left it.

soon came riceless and the ktm guy who was exauted on cadilac hill joined us for the ride out. no sign of montibanks.

1/2 mile to the right was supposed to be fuel, 20 1/2 miles later in southlake we find fuel. riceless was on reserve. after fuel and air and rest, we head off to get something to eat, dennys is all that is open and we all had some breakfast. deciding it was not safe to ride to loon camp we stopped for the night at motel 6. no sign of montibanks or the others.

there is tons to joke about from dinner to morning and tons of fun facts and details, i have a hard time accessing them due to guilt about leaving the guys behaind. the worst part is that was the best i had at the time.

montibanks proved his metal that night.

we rode back to camp and found no sign of anyone, we put the best of our thoughts together along with investigations of jeepers coming out, we knew banks was near the end, atleast we saw hi there last. tom was last seen crashing in front of some jeepers on a rock that jetted out of the dirt, i had not seen rob since walker hill.

we tought about riding in, hiking in and going around, since no one had been seen on the front half of the trail, we decided to load up the bikes in the truck drive around to the back side and hike til we found someone.

rob called and had to on the back of the klr, we were at the doorstep of southlake, montibanks was hiking in to get the husaber and would be at the staging area on the tahoe side. we unlaoded the bikes and got ready to scout for him when he rode up on the husaberg looking like he just went through a swamp.

then we loaded up the xr and the husa in the truck and sent montibanks back to camp in the mighty toyota (thats as funny as i can get) we hauled ass and were never able to catch him, made it back to the first loon lake camp, no sign of banks, oh shit did he fall asleep and he is now at the bottom of lake tahoe? I head back out to fing him and we cross paths at the ice house resort.

text everyone our location and wait, we are about to finally wrap up this mess, montibanks is safe and in good spirits, he is one tough cookie, jeff pulls up on the drz, and soon after tom and rob pull up with the tundra and bike trailer. load up the husa klr and xr, kisses and hugs for all, and off they went. jeff and i broke camp, loaded the bikes and headed back. dropped jeff of AT 230 and i rolled in at 3.

hind sight being crystal clear i regret not following montibanks down the hill, i was wrong.

I think dusy and rubi in the same summer would be a great story to tell

anybody want to do dusy?
  17. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Got your message about meeting up Sat night. As you know, we weren't there but thanks for the thought.

Cheers-
    Tom
  18. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Not to be overlooked or forgotten I owe (at least two) people an appology: DSRider and TR1200

Some things did not go well; leaving anyone behind and loosing my head at Rob being the most notable.

Sorry for screamin, that was rather childish of me.:baby Brent's thread about the rubicon some guy mentions someone loosing it like a madman and throwing a tempertantrum on some other ride, well that was me this ride. Stress does funny things to people, and I lost touch with reality for a good 5 minutes.

In the two years I have been riding with ya'll this is the only time my temper has reared its ugly head, hopefully it will be the last time.

Two things:
    • I will be getting a spot locator (like Brent had) before I do anymore riding, just in case. I realize if my back is broke and I am pinned it aint gonna do me squat for good, but at least someone can go online and look where I last was ok and hopefully get to me if needed. I wonder if you can RSS feed spot notifications to our phones? That help feature (non-911 feature that comes stock with it) would be really helpful when cell reception is achieved, even if only for a moment. Maybe even the thing can be configured to send a text message for "Need help" + GPS Coordinates.
    • No more ridin for me till the 530 is back up and runnin (except for keepin the carb clear on the XR with runs to 7-eleven).
    Doug has all the parts for the 530 - I hope that I will have a whole motor by the 24th of this month. Anything before July 31st I am out.

~

Michael
  19. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
  20. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    Good Job guys,
    I'd probably only make it two miles on that trail on a trials bike... you loco...
    Tom, Glad you are out and OK, did you bring any tea for your friends?