June 26,27,28 Tahoe Rubicon Exploration

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by stevele5, May 13, 2009.

1. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    U got that right.

All packed and ready. No perishables here (cept some bananas) so no ice chest for me. I made sure I had plenty of manual labor to do at work today so I could get some rest tonight.

HST/Shazam - ready when you two are. I will roll out of bed tomorrow at 0500. Unless I hear differently from yall I will see ya at my house to load up an roll. No rush to get here, just arrive when you can. I will just farkle with the XR (not that it needs anything, its a kick in the arse to ride jsut as it is.)

Shazam - I have not yet heard from HST, I don't know if he is working right now but I know he works night shifts sometimes, so I hate calling him for fear of waking him mid-sleep. I did give him a text message to call when he knew approx what time he can be here tomorrow morning. No word back yet.

MudPig - I got the parts to make a pigtail for the tender laying around the garage. I will solder up the connections for you and bring it with me when I return the XR next week. As a side note I was a bit curious how the headlight on the XR stayed on after I kill it, so I had to look. I knew that bike didn't have a battery in it (at least not a big one). Interesting its got a little battery pack in it! No SLA so I won't wire the charger for the XR. If you want help rigging the pigtail for one of your other bikes just holler and I will plan some time to set it up for ya.

If you already have the tender pigtails send me a PM so I dont start cutting on it.

KK off to bed for me, going to try to get at least a little sleep.

~

Michael
  2. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Rock it!
  3. Norcal

Norcal Lost

Oddometer:
    Is the camping spot at Loon Lake? looks like about 62 miles from my house. I was thinking about getting out of the heat. No way I'm riding the 640 on that trail..but camping and riding other roads would be good.

So Loon lake and look for the bikes or.....?
  4. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in the free area dispersed camping?? not really sure kinda wing it.
  5. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    :clap I'm excited! Guess if I can't find y'all Friday night I'll look for you at the trailhead Saturday morning.

:wave see ya tomorrow
  6. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will keep an eye out and check cell phone. We will be also riding around Tahoe early afternoon doing some food shopping and ................
  7. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    here i am desperately wanting to go to sleep but find myself up packing and double checking the gear. looks like all things are working together, the weather is going to be outstanding, looks like a decent turnout even with all the drops. if nothing else we can speak with experience about the rubicon trail after this weekend. the dr is as low geared as i can manage and lightened up as much as practical. im really looking forward to exploring this area, ive only been up to these parts on the gs, and never on the trails.

ps latest post wins
  8. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Up and runnin...

And after one more final look at the maps - I think we are going to shoot for airport flats or the surrounding area. We shall see.

Ya know... I didn't think about it but there are bear boxes - and I think there are only bear boxes where there are bears. I will not be willing to lock up anyones food in my truck if there is even a remote chance bears area in the area.

~

Michael
  10. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    There are bears in the area. LOTS of them. And they are the "rejects" that are relocated from Yosemite after causing problems. No I'm not kidding.

I agree to not leave food in your truck- you obviously know what they are capable of. Your best bet is to bring rope and tie it up HIGH in a tree in a pulley system so they can't get to it.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's just black bears and not brown which is good.
  11. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve waitin on you called were are you?
  12. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Now that's interesting! Have fun. Take pics. I want to see termoil and exaustion! **hides a snicker bar under monti's seat**.
  13. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest you leave food in your truck. It's real interesting to see how well a bear knows how to get in one. Raceinace learned this in my driveway. That bear had been in F-150's before. One paw print and no damage(truck wasn't lock). They don't like cheese puffs.
  14. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    Rubicon conquered
  15. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    My ass. I believe when I see pics. :deal

If it's true :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky
  16. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Super Suz here...

I arrived late on Thursday at beautiful Loon Lake after stopping by Rockin Troll's house to pick up the hauler that I am borrowing for the month. Thanks for that, Eric/RockinTroll. I slept on the road by the campground and just about 8:30 am it started clearing out and opening up again. On Friday afternoon, the Fresno fellas showed up and camped at a nice spot. They went for a ride in the afternoon and came back to a nice fancy camp dinner. Moto Geo, a friend of mine, and I went to South Tahoe/ Tahoeacer's house to pick up the Super Sherpa. We rode on his new Italian bike and rode back in the cold. Brrrr. Glad to get back to the Fresno fellas campfire already going. On Sat, the Fresno fellas left early in the morning to take on the Rubicon. One rider on a 650 who made it through came in to camp on Sunday morning to check on the Fresno crew only to find that they had not returned. According to that one rider, most of them slept overnight in South Tahoe after making it out the other end of the Rubicon. I left at about noon and they had not returned yet. Maybe they went for another tour of the Tahoe area before returning back to camp? There is a long ride from South Tahoe on slab to make it back to camp so I assume that they were just making their way back.

I hope all of the riders made it out ok. Please make a post to let me know how everyone is doing. Thanks, Suz
  17. Norcal

Norcal Lost

Oddometer:

I ran into those Fresno guys this morning at the Ice house store they did make it all the way through and spent the night in Tahoe.
  18. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    That was Steve, Jeff & me on the way back to Loon Lake.

I left around noon while Steve & Jeff were gonna go back in from the Tahoe side to look for Rob, Tom and Mike.

I'm home now with no new info...
  19. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    yes we did it home safe now pics and report soon
  20. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]+D!!