Juneau info needed

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Kane, Mar 25, 2005.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Now that hurt. :lol3 Give yourself a couple minutes in the penalty box (or an afternoon in Juneau) :evil

[​IMG]
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    You know I have only been to Juneau once. my flight was deverted there it was one of those ( 6 sun days ) I rented a car for 3 hours that was 2 1/2 more then I need I went by the gov house to bad I pissed before I lefted the airport. but it was a sunny day:thumb
  3. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    And that is true, but you can drive 15 minutes in either direction and you're in Alaska. Drive 15 minutes in Juneau and you're in the ocean! :vardy
  4. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    It couldn't have hurt that bad! I'll take the afternoon in Juneau, what flight did you book me on?

5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about Anchorage is that it's only 15 minutes from Alaska
  6. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the Fairweather ferry to Skagway (good walking town) for a day if you have a whole week in Juneau. I used to live in Haines (Outdoor Mag. "Best Places to Live...") but there's even less to do there than Skagway and you need a car to get around. It is likely to be quiet/rainy but you get to meet the locals - lots of color [​IMG] - last thing you want is to be there when the cruise ships are in town....

The boat ride alone is spectacular - beautiful fjords !
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Beautiful fjords???? The ones that I saw were all rusted out. :lol3
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Hang on. There'll be a slight delay while we change the fluids. That Juneau airport is tough on the birds.

[​IMG]
  9. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:

:nod

And that goes for both Juneau and Skagway. When the ship lands in Juneau the tourists all walk in a single inpenetrable mass that stretches from the dock to the capital building, it's almost like a herd of wildebeast. The sheer weight of numbers protect the main herd but the stragglers are picked off by the Soapy Smith predators . I think the sidewalk sinks down another 3 inches every time a ship disgorges it's passengers, and the water level in the channel goes down a corresponding amount, so much so that unwary dolphins are beached.
    And Skagway-OY! There were 3 ships at the dock, and the crowd was unbelievable, like free cheese day in Calcutta. I ended up walking down the middle of the street because the cars were easier to deal with than the pedestrians.
    Now I will admit that Wasilla is not excitement central-if I had to spend a week in Wasilla as a tourist I'd end up visiting a gun shop and then the mall-but I was offered the service manager postion in Juneau and I turned it down immediately. It is really pretty when the sun shines, but it usually rains and I mean it rains, like taking a shower rains. The reason that the city fathers are fighting the road to Juneau is that the residents might use it. :deal
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    IIRC parts of the panhandle get 13' of rain a year. Juneau's right up there.
  11. Kane

Kane Resident guitar picker

Oddometer:
    OK, I have to 'fess up that the trip was a gift. I was simply presented with an air ticket, by someone close who knows that I've always wanted to visit Alaska.

It sounds like my best option is going to be examining Juneau until I tire of it, then taking a boat ride to somewhere more interesting. I've done a lot of no schedule/intinerary travel before, and my experience has been that it's the people, rather than the place itself, which usually make travel interesting or fun. So the "seedy underbelly" may be just right!

Kane
  12. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Just be careful if you run into a bear of a man named "Frank"! :eek1

Kinda like the ol' first place prize is a week in Juneau, second place is two weeks? Get thyself to Skagway ASAP. Red Onion after 11PM sounds perfect for you :1drink :1drink
  13. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    So Keith what up with the girl scout cookie drive at Fred Meyers yesterday? and what was your cut:deal I guess that one way to get funds to buy more rentel bikes:rofl
  14. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    500 boxes = 1 week at camp = one week to ride for dad :thumb :thumb

Anybody want a box? I'm working my way to Dawson :lol3 :lol3

I ALMOST made it without being seen by a Gruver!