Just a short ride on a great day in Iowa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rjs987, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here we go again. Another snow storm headed this way for all day Tuesday.

BUT! Today was great. Mostly sunny and relatively balmy. Was involved with doing up income taxes and my wife says "why don't you put that down for later and go for a ride?" so I did.
    Personally I think she really just wanted me to stop getting excited about the extra gas money we were going to be getting back from the government this time.
    Checked tires as I usually do every ride during this time of year. My tires are holding air really well. Had the right psi for when it was much cooler (last ride) and had to let out about 3 psi per tire due to how warm it was.
    I rode 65 miles this afternoon and the temps hovered around 60F all the way around. Was surprised to see only a few other motorcycles on the road today. I was taking mostly roads commonly traveled by other bikers during the season. I guess certain riders of really noisy but shiny V-Twins didn't want to pull their steeds out of storage just for a nice ride on a nice day. As it was I did come close to visiting the old homestead of The Duke.
  2. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FINALLY got out for ride today. First time in a week. I did get out last week but didn't make note of that time which was a very quick/short run to Lowe's and one other store for some essential supplies. Today was the first for a while to just go out and ride for fun. Ended up just over 60 miles and "rediscovered" a few roads I haven't been on for a few years. Temps were right at 48F the entire time until the very end when they dropped to 47F per the ambient temp sensor. There was solid clouds and no sun shining through and I even saw a few drops of rain on my visor at one time. I could count them on one hand (the left hand since the right hand was busy at the time). This matched my thermometer in the house. The roads I usually take don't have much if any traffic until I get closer to the metro and today the traffic was no less than normal. I guess I was expecting slightly less but it wasn't. Was very good to get out. Needed to stop for gas so handled the nozzle with a gloved hand. Gas was down to $1.659. Kept a definite 6 ft distance from everyone during the entire ride. :D
  3. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Continued my social distancing by practicing to stay away from others while riding on country roads while also staying sterile (yeah, right) wearing all my gear (only a little bit of my neck felt the free breeze).

Extended my distance just a little over what I have usually gone in recent months and traveled a round trip route of 83 miles. The meter showed 52 mpg for just that ride but we all know the meter is always way low on that estimate... among other inaccuracies. Traveled the historic old highway 6 out west and then turned south after a winding path. Yes, Iowa is known for straight roads that go on forever almost, but not quite, like Kansas and Nebraska. But those are usually called Interstate highways. There are a lot of curvy roads as well when you get off the more commonly traveled routes. Not as tight and curvy as the Driftless region or other areas of the country but sweeping "S" curves that do make it an interesting enough ride through intermittent wooded areas between cultivated fields. And some hills too. Usually the hills and the woods and curves are all in the same general sections of road. Stopped along the side of the road for one photo and then felt the urge to stop again in Stuart, IA when I turned onto the historic White Pole Road. That's a highway lined with power poles with the lower section of almost every pole painted white as shown in the other photo. Also seen in that photo is the old historic Rock Island Railroad Terminal building.

IMG_20200326_142919.jpg IMG_20200326_143703.jpg
    Chillis, 9Realms and Muscongus like this.
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Greetings from several zip codes to the north of you.
    rjs987 likes this.
  5. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was a fantastic day today with lots of sun, very little wind, and temps around 54-58F. Needed to pick up a bag of tea and a few dozen pre-planting pots from my son's car while he was at work. He works at a coffee roastery that supplies several coffee houses in the area and also writes programs for remote ordering of bags of coffee and tea online from the business (iPhone and Android and web apps). His work place is about 8 miles away, a lot closer than his house. So off I go on the Burgman 650 with the new top case mounted and once again took the long route on country roads to get there. Rode 47 miles this time. That included a trip across the Mile Long Bridge across the middle of Saylorville Lake and then back across the dam at the southern end. Photos are from the dam. In the longer shot up the lake you can just barely see the Mile Long Bridge way out about 6 miles out at what looks like the upper end of the lake (about the left center of the photo left of the taller sign post). That bridge is actually only half way up the lake. It's fairly tall off the water, enough for all sailing boats to easily pass under it, with a low railing on each side... not the place to ride on a really windy day. There were other motorcycle riders out and about but not a lot. Many still haven't polished 4 months of dust off their chrome yet.

Attached Files:

btrrtlwtr, Chillis and 9Realms like this.
  6. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Continuing my isolating from others, but not in place really unless you count the entire 5 county area around my home, I went for another ride today. Rode just under 64 miles toward the south and somewhat west. Came within a few miles of John Wayne's museum and birth home but didn't bother to go into town. That place wouldn't be open now anyway and I'd have to park the bike to see it so turned onto another county highway and just kept on riding. Just keeping my social distance without loosing my sanity. A really fine day with no clouds and temps in the mid 60's F. I broke out my spring/summer gloves for this ride which are good for around 60F and up. Soon will be taking out the wind liner in the jacket and pants to get a bit more air flow. But today was really comfortable. :D

No errands or shopping today. Just an essential sanity check ride.
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I didn't know John Wayne was born in Iowa?

I found out by accident on a ride a year or so ago that took me through the small town that actor Richard Widmark was born in.

down vcload.jpg

Sunrise, Minnesota.
    Not really a town, actually a township of 2,066.

The home he grew up in is still there, someone is living in it.

sun_rise001.jpg
    ishmac and Chillis like this.
  8. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DUKE was born in this house in Winterset, Iowa. His house is really small and sits on a corner lot. His family moved to California soon after. Found a photo of a motorcycle tag that I took in front of his house taken in January of 2016. This also shows my CTX1300 which I rode before my current Burgman. The museum is on the opposite corner of the block from this.

Attached Files:

IAJeeper, Chillis and 9Realms like this.
  9. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Needed to visit the Post Office so rode the Burgman. Was only around 34F the whole way. Wore my Nitrile gloves under my riding gloves. When I parked the bike I traded my full face helmet for a face mask. Only one customer was at the counter so waited at the floor marking for them to finish. Funny thing is the floor markings are 6 ft apart but the 2 clerks at the counter were only 3 ft apart so if they were helping more than one customer people would have to be too close for the CDC recommendations. Once again took the long way there but not as long as I could have. Only rode 17 miles this time.
  10. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warmest day this year so far. High temps over 75F. Went on my periodic essential therapeutic mental heath ride and rode the Burgman around the countryside for 32 miles. Maintained a proper social distance the entire distance.

Had some other things that needed to be done also. Checked the air in my wife's scooter tires and the John Deere riding mower. Put the JD mower battery on the battery maintainer (forgot to do that recently so battery was low) and checked oil and filters. Pulled out the hose so my wife could wash the car (her request). A few other outdoor things to prepare for the growing season.
  11. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After pushing my small mower and sitting on my JD mower for some time around the yard I just needed to be on only 2 wheels for a change.
    So took off on a short jaunt around town and out a little into the country for 26+ miles. Last time for a few days. Temps are turning much cooler tonight and there's talk of that 4 letter "s" word for late this weekend. :eek7
  12. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday morning this is what it all looked like outside as it was climbing up to 32F at this point.
    IMG_20200417_072340.jpg

So waited until today to get my ride in with a friend from my former job. It was essential that I go to Pella, IA to pick up some Dutch Letters and a few other goodies. I put in my order and paid by phone and did a curb-side pickup. I let the person who brought out my order just drop it in the storage box under the seat so I was able to maintain my social distancing. Very windy today, around 25 mph, with gusts up to 40 mph. Rode across a mile long bridge over a lake near Pella. Fortunately the wind was straight on from in front of us while crossing that bridge. The ride was about 129 miles today with temps in the upper 50's lower 60s F.

Attached Files:

IAJeeper likes this.
  13. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After several days of not getting out due to a bit of bad weather, or outside spring yard work, I finally went for a short ride today. It was just an easy cruise around town this time, but I still was able to mostly stay on main roadways with long stretches between stoplights and slightly faster speed limits. And with much less traffic these days it turned out to be a nice ride. I ended up with only 22+ miles this time but was nice to get out.
  14. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally was able to get out for a ride today. Needed to go to my son's house to help him pull some network cable for hooking up security cameras. Took the long way there and the long way back for a round trip of 49 miles.
  15. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Continuing my travels to my son's house after a few days off to mow the lawn and other work at home. Was time to fill the tank after 184 miles. It ended up that I had almost a gallon left when the last bar showed solid but the little gas pump symbol was flashing. That's what I've learned about this bike. When the last bar starts flashing then there is half that, or near a half gallon, left. I had reset one of the trip meters before I went out today and just before I arrived back home the mpg showing on the LCD panel indicated 61.3 mpg. That panel indicator is always off but I was inclined to believe it this time. With the temp starting out about 84F on the way there and 91F on the way home I knew the mpg would be better than usual. This engine does so much better in hot weather... just like the CTX1300/ST1300 engine. I put 2.97 gallons in the tank so I really did have almost a gallon left. It's a 3.9 gallon tank. I calculated that the mpg for the entire 184 miles since last fill up worked out to 61.9 mpg. So the computer was right on but only for this trip. I remember seeing that before I reset the trip meter it was showing just over 57 mpg for the last 278 miles before today, so today was likely closer to 63 mpg just for this trip. There are 2 average mpg displays on this bike, one for each trip meter (unlike some other bikes which only have one mpg display).
    Oh, today I rode 48 miles round trip for a total of 326 miles since I started the basement finish project. I started this project 2 weeks ago and work it a little at a time. I ride the Burgman most days I go up there (air gun compressor, bathroom vanity and toilet, and a few other things just don't work well strapped on the pillion so I had to drive the cage a few of those days!).
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another nice day for riding... sort of.

Sunny and just over 60F so that was very nice. But a constant 25-30 mph wind out of the south with gusts over that pretty much all day. Expecting rain tonight and for the next few days so figured a ride was in order for today.

Decided on a route that was mostly north/south with starting out going a little west then east in the middle. Rode 79.8 miles. A lot of straight roads, as is common around Iowa, but also some low hills and curves. Just working on restoring my travel legs... er... bum. IOW, time in saddle travel endurance for some motorcycle/camping trips this season. Though I've yet to have any issues with doing a lot of time in the saddle on my Corbin seat. I can sit on that for a really long time or a lot of miles. I guess mostly this is for mental endurance much more than physical endurance.

On the way around I passed near the High Tressle Trail Bridge so stopped to snap a photo. This used to be a railroad bridge that was replaced, and then the railroad was taken out and replaced with a biking/walking trail to add to the trail system throughout central Iowa. Since I usually don't stop for photo ops while riding I figured it would be nice to do once in a while. I also stopped for another photo while crossing the Saylorville Lake Reservoir dam at the south end of Saylorville Lake. That's the marina you can just see way across the lake just to the right of the water tower (actually it's a third of the way up that side of the lake).

Attached Files:

18. rjs987

rjs987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, darn.
    Did it again.
    Went to pick up a few things at the Lowe's store 1.5 miles away and ended up with nearly 12 miles added to the Burgman. I little chilly today but haven't been riding as much as I should.
    I know, not many miles. But any miles on 2 wheels are good miles.