1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Just a short ride on a great day in Iowa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rjs987, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rjs987

rjs987 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here we go again. Another snow storm headed this way for all day Tuesday.

BUT! Today was great. Mostly sunny and relatively balmy. Was involved with doing up income taxes and my wife says "why don't you put that down for later and go for a ride?" so I did.
    Personally I think she really just wanted me to stop getting excited about the extra gas money we were going to be getting back from the government this time.
    Checked tires as I usually do every ride during this time of year. My tires are holding air really well. Had the right psi for when it was much cooler (last ride) and had to let out about 3 psi per tire due to how warm it was.
    I rode 65 miles this afternoon and the temps hovered around 60F all the way around. Was surprised to see only a few other motorcycles on the road today. I was taking mostly roads commonly traveled by other bikers during the season. I guess certain riders of really noisy but shiny V-Twins didn't want to pull their steeds out of storage just for a nice ride on a nice day. As it was I did come close to visiting the old homestead of The Duke.
  2. rjs987

rjs987 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FINALLY got out for ride today. First time in a week. I did get out last week but didn't make note of that time which was a very quick/short run to Lowe's and one other store for some essential supplies. Today was the first for a while to just go out and ride for fun. Ended up just over 60 miles and "rediscovered" a few roads I haven't been on for a few years. Temps were right at 48F the entire time until the very end when they dropped to 47F per the ambient temp sensor. There was solid clouds and no sun shining through and I even saw a few drops of rain on my visor at one time. I could count them on one hand (the left hand since the right hand was busy at the time). This matched my thermometer in the house. The roads I usually take don't have much if any traffic until I get closer to the metro and today the traffic was no less than normal. I guess I was expecting slightly less but it wasn't. Was very good to get out. Needed to stop for gas so handled the nozzle with a gloved hand. Gas was down to $1.659. Kept a definite 6 ft distance from everyone during the entire ride. :D
  3. rjs987

rjs987 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Continued my social distancing by practicing to stay away from others while riding on country roads while also staying sterile (yeah, right) wearing all my gear (only a little bit of my neck felt the free breeze).

Extended my distance just a little over what I have usually gone in recent months and traveled a round trip route of 83 miles. The meter showed 52 mpg for just that ride but we all know the meter is always way low on that estimate... among other inaccuracies. Traveled the historic old highway 6 out west and then turned south after a winding path. Yes, Iowa is known for straight roads that go on forever almost, but not quite, like Kansas and Nebraska. But those are usually called Interstate highways. There are a lot of curvy roads as well when you get off the more commonly traveled routes. Not as tight and curvy as the Driftless region or other areas of the country but sweeping "S" curves that do make it an interesting enough ride through intermittent wooded areas between cultivated fields. And some hills too. Usually the hills and the woods and curves are all in the same general sections of road. Stopped along the side of the road for one photo and then felt the urge to stop again in Stuart, IA when I turned onto the historic White Pole Road. That's a highway lined with power poles with the lower section of almost every pole painted white as shown in the other photo. Also seen in that photo is the old historic Rock Island Railroad Terminal building.

IMG_20200326_142919.jpg IMG_20200326_143703.jpg
    9Realms and Muscongus like this.
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Greetings from several zip codes to the north of you.
    rjs987 likes this.