Just a standard Friday itch.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdvSplash, May 31, 2019.

1. AdvSplash

AdvSplash Find the world

Oddometer:
    It's currently 01:35 BST on Saturday 1st June. I'm leaving home bound for the Eurotunnel in approximately 1 hour. I'm writing this now as excitement me has grasped me, 3 hours of interrupted sleep, getting up to look at the bike parked outside and walking back to bed only to repeat again in another 20 minutes, pure restlessness. My current location is Fairford, Gloucestershire. My future location will be the Ardennes in France, possibly Luxembourg and I might even straddle into Belgium... the weather ahead suggests it's going to be high's of 27 Deg C and clear of cloud - literally perfect.

22 hours ago after waiting for just 3 weeks I had my genetic blood results back with news that unlike my father who has Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy or ARVC for short, that I was clear of the disease - phew. Prior to this I started to live a little more on the edge, less of the rainy day fund mantra and more of the live for today, think about tomorrow, tomorrow mantra.

So, in the last 6 months I've taken up flying, for those of you who are enthusiasts I have just my Met & Nav exam left before brushing up for my skills test. Currently I'm on 35 hours dual and 8 hours solo for an EASA PPL. I proposed to my long term partner of 9 years in November 18, having met at 17, getting married in August 2019 then embarking on a 3 week tour of Europe, mainly the Balkans. RR to come at the time on that one.

Then more recently, I've just in the last 2 weeks purchased a motorcycle, an R1200GS Adventure having stopped in 2014 when we lost a dear friend in an RTC, and I'm bloody loving it!

So sit tight, pictures, stories and tales to come...
    B10Dave, Kim F and The Virginian like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward towards it! :lurk
  3. BasicJim

BasicJim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. AdvSplash

AdvSplash Find the world

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the really late update.... two things happened:

1) I had such a great time that I didn't stop for many photos - can't blame me!
    2) I was using my phone as a navigation device so it was a b*llache to stop, un-mount my phone and take a picture to remount again.
    3) Work took over when I got back and I ran out of steam to write up!

In the end I left the house around 02:30, leaving just enough time for closed motorways, diversions and a quick stop to rest the bladder! Good job I left when I did as I virtually arrived at Calais, after having a near miss with a fox on the motorway….damn! (Really dread to think what would’ve happened, even on a GSA!) Cleared Eurotunnel check-in, passport control and was waiting on the ramp for the train all within about 10 minutes before waiting perhaps another minute before boarding the train. Quickest boarding for me ever and I’ve done a few hops across!

I met a guy on the outbound train, never got his name but he was travelling to Hungary and Poland on his 125cc scooter for a rally / event. Mad man. Nutter. But very inspirational.
    [​IMG]
    The scooter has an 8 litre fuel tank, his first day was Calais to Salzburg, Austria…a total of 384 miles and I thought it would be a good idea to remind him he’d need to refill his bike about 5 times on that leg alone… perhaps I should’ve kept my mouth shut as that wasn’t motivational or helpful at all! I asked him about navigation having not seen any mounts for devices, to which he pointed to his head and said it’s all up here. We (I) take navigation devices for granted now, long or short, Google Maps, Waze, up to date information to help us on our journeys, avoid traffic, find the best route but this guy is going for a real adventure, envious again!
    [​IMG]

35 minutes later…It was time to jump back on the bike and yet again navigate the metal flooring out of the train, something I dreaded due to the tightness in the carriage, heavy bike and pressure to keep pace down the carriage. It’s certainly something I wouldn’t want to do in the wet..! I departed Calais on the A25 heading south to the Ardennes. I didn’t really know where I wanted to go, just that I wanted nice twisting roads with a campsite and beer in sight once the novelty of being abroad wore off. Before I left home I’d flagged Montherme, France and Dinant, Belgium on Waze to stop at on my way to Luxembourg, which in my head was the final destination.

I soon left the A25, heading down some roads that Waze suggested. I’d only installed Waze a matter of hours before leaving having read good things about it for motorcyclist on the web. It worked well, nice mix of roads, though still fairly direct and if any road took my fancy I could simply allow it to recalculate.

I’d been on the road for about 10 hours before stopping at a local supermarket to pick up some bread, biscuits and essential water. I was already noticing the difference of the GSA’s 33 litre fuel tank and I’d only done 260 miles by this point. It’s nice not to have stops dictated by fuel needs for once. In theory the GSA’s tank allows for a day’s riding if you’re not heavy on the throttle. The temperatures were rising faster than I expected and at 12pm the bike’s computer was indicating 27 Degree’s…sweaty, dehydrated and hungry for more twisty roads I decided it was time to take the Rukka trousers off and chuck some jeans on. One thing I have noticed about the GSA is lack of air flow… it’s great to be out of the wind but sometimes air flow outweighs the need for protection and so those beefy rider pegs come in useful for the occasional stand up air con to try and cool down somewhat!

It got to a point around 1300 when I arrive in Montherme that I decided, rather than cover pointless miles I would find a campsite, ditch the panniers and go riding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a small campsite, on the off chance as I left Montherme which was just down the hill and beside a river – perfect. I spun the bike back around, once I found a wide enough piece of road… only 3 weeks into GSA ownership and I need to go practise tight turns! If I drop the bike I’d probably never pick it up on my own!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I pitched the tent beside the river (awesome) removed the panniers, grabbed my helmet, jacket and boots and off I went!

I left Montherme not really knowing where I was going but ended up doing a sweet little route, chasing some local French bikers on the way!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    By about 1600, I was shattered, 2 hours sleep, high temperatures and in need of rest I decided to have a couple of Leffe Beers at the campsite, go for a walk and head to bed, probably the best night’s sleep I had in a while!

Sunday:
    Waking up at 0630 Sunday, I managed to have the bike packed by 0700 with a 3.5 hour stint back to Calais it was another hot ride as temperatures reached 26.5 Degrees C by 0830! It was a beautiful ride, more so than the route down, I cruised out of the Ardennes and criss-crossed between France and Belgium on my way back north down roads you can only dream about!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, sorry it’s brief but something to read nonetheless, here’s to the next 48 hour adventure!

Trip Stats:
    Departed Home: 02:30 Saturday 1st June
    Arrived Home: 15:00 Sunday 2nd June

Miles covered: 808
    Avg MPG: 49.5

Attached Files:

5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice weekend jaunt. Thanks for posting it.
  6. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW!! What beautiful country!! Thank you for the ride report. BTW, I love the Airhawk on the scooter idea!!