Just A Tool Tube on my 8GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since my Vario Bags are being retired after just 6 weeks [​IMG], now going to a lightweight camping setup with no panniers, I needed a way to carry tools without having a bag on the seat. Bouncing between inner city and camping adventures I want to have all my tools with me all the time, and not have to remove them.
    The isn't exactly an original idea, using a PVC tube for tools, but this is what I came up with to carry all the tools I need on the road to do basic maintenance and adjustments, plus in the Pelican 1300 there's spare tubes, patch kit, air gauge, and Slime air pump that will move to the dry bag when camping.

All purchased at Lowe's
    3" x 13" PVC Tube
    3" end cap - "welded" on to the tube using special PVC cement
    3" closable "tester" cap, rated for high pressure sewage lines
    10" aluminum "L" bracket or whatever you call it ( I threw away the receipt)
    pipe clamps
    black spray-on rubber coating

It might not win any beauty contests, but it's very secure and blends it nicely, or will after it gets dirty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/quote]
  2. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    You should get one the same size as the exhaust, paint to match and mount it at the same angle. :evil
  3. GreyDR

GreyDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why? ChiTown...looks great, very functionable. Good job.
  4. onefastrph

onefastrph Shut up and ride.

Oddometer:
    I used one of these on my Strom. Not quite as big as yours, but I didn't have to fabricate it either. Just zip tied it to the inside of my pannier rack on the non-exhaust side. Welding rod tubes also work well, and are watertight.
  5. John Spartan

John Spartan Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer:
    Nice piece of work! Did you need to add any foam rubber on the inside to keep stuff from rattling around or is the tube pretty much packed from end to end?
  6. pbansen

pbansen Hosehead Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks great! I have a similar tube mounted inboard of the left pannier on my Strom. Holds a lot of stuff that you'd just as soon not mixed in with the clean stuff.

Nice job!
  7. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

No I didn't do anything inside, it's pretty well packed. Most of the tools are split up between two pouches in the tube to keep the rattling down.

Thanks, just recyclin' good idea's shared on ADV! :deal
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great minds run on parallel tracks . . . . . .

and so do ours ;-}

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    A good idea for sure, and decent looking. You must have some confidence in that expansion plug though, I'd be worried a bunch of wrenches knocking around in that tube would eventually loosen it up & dump the contents. I understand the glued on end cap is better looking from the back of the bike than the butterfly nut & expansion plug, but I'd feel better orienting the tube the way the Triumph rider did.
  10. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Nice lookin' bike you got there bomber!

I do have confidence in it...
    I did some testing in the store by putting a plug in a 3" x 4' tube, then taking a 2" x 4' tube and dropping it in the 3". About the third time I did this is when a clerk came over, (looking horrified) and explained to me that this plug (that didn't budge) was rated for high pressure sewer systems. It seems incredibly strong.
    I guess we will find out next week in Arkansas if my calculations are correct. :evil
  11. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mines a little different but works nicely

[​IMG]
  12. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Nice. I've got my tools in a fenderbag strapped to the rear rack, but want to move them so I can put a topcase on the rack for commuting.

I'll have to look around and see what I can come up with for mounting without that little rail that you have. Also, I'll definitely have mine facing upward, just in case.
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Chi! I dig it muchly . . . . . .
  14. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I've got a lot of tools stashed under the seat, but you've got me innerested. I'm going to look for space behind my right side Jesse rack when I get home.