Just another Alaska ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by snowrider, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Mudshark

Mudshark Ride Addict

Oddometer:
    What he said ... Plus - Mucking Fagic! you write very well and know how to take a
    good picture - Dude you should go work for National Geographic.
    Than you for a great adventure!
  2. tashunka

tashunka GottaGetDirty

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an amazing, inspiring report. As has already been said time and time again, great writing and photos. For me it's helped prove that the DR650 is an excellent long distance touring bike. I've always thought KLR was the way to go in the world of DS, but recently I've pointed in the directions of the Sazook, and I gotta say..... it's looking like the way to go.

Thanks for this excellent report I've been wading through this evening. I only hope to one day have an adventure anything like this......
  3. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it was fun.

Mudshark:
    If you know someone at National Geographic, sure. I wouldn't turn down that job. Especially if they wanted me to ride around South America for a year.

Tashunka:
    You'll be happy with the DR (plus a few aftermarket bits if you're going very far on it). I think the KLRs are great (especially for 1987), but if Kawasaki had updated the KLR after a decade and went all out, they would've come up with something real close to my DR650.
  4. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Hello, this is my first post here, my name is Don- and I am from Anchorage Alaska- too bad I didn't get to meet snowrider when he was here this summer- I did a whole lot of riding this summer, really nice, very early spring. I sent SR an e-mail saying about the same- anyone else coming to Alaska riding nest summer- be sure and drop me a line- I have lived here all my life!
  5. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the Asylum. You will enjoy your stay, Bear
  6. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Wow! I just finished 45 minutes on this thread. It is the best ride report ever! Well done!:beer
  7. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got your email and replied about a week ago.

Thanks mistercindy.
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Read up through page ten last night and the rest of the ride report this afternoon. Great photos, great writing, great wit. Great report. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us desk bound mortals. It was nice living out a dream through your report.
  9. gts

gts Bark Buster

Oddometer:
    snowrider [​IMG] your report gets an off-site smilie from me. Excellent writing, photography, and thinking, and one hell of a trip. Thanks for all the time + effort.

What kind of music do you play?
  10. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I play rock and roll using the old country, blues, jazz and gospel ingredients. "Roots", I guess people call it. My band's site should have some videos or sound or something on it soon. http://www.scag48.com

Thanks for the great opportunity for a shameless plug!
  11. thruxton

thruxton Adventurer

Oddometer:

I was wondering what tank that is on your bike? Do you have the information to purchase one and how many gal is it???
  12. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMS, 5 gallons.
    http://www.imsproducts.com/

If you get the IMS tank, it will probably come with a flat rubber cutout gasket that neither the petcock nor the tank are designed for, and it will usually push out (mine did only after I'd ridden it somewhere) and start pouring gas out the side of your bike. When you get it, take the petcock to a local shop and have them find you an o-ring that fits the o-ring groove on the petcock.

Or, you may want to contact jesse at http://www.kientech.com/
    I don't see the tanks on his site, but I know he sells them and can install a pingel petcock for a little bit more and it will come ready to go. He has other tanks as well and will probably have better advice than I can give you. (I didn't know about kientech when I bought mine).
  13. thruxton

thruxton Adventurer

Oddometer:

SO what tank bag are you using with that IMS tank?

Also wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed reading you'rre posts. I also have a DR and 04 yellow one. I live out in California and would love to do that trip.
  14. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wolfman's enduro bag

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

You may also want to look into saddlehorn panniers from cabellas or a hunting supply, they fit nice over the gas cap. I don't have any yet but I've been meaning to try some.
  15. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Snowrider, that report truly rocks.
  16. klrrider

klrrider I'LL TAKE ANOTHER 1

Oddometer:
    wanted to say congrats on your trip that is cool. thanks for that awsome report:thumb .
  17. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a great report, pictures, and your attitude about everything just rocks! Couldn't find your rain gear when you were leaving, no freaking out, you just hit the road anyway, so freaking cool. Your picture, by your bike, should be next to every defenition of "adventure rider" that is in print, anywhere. So many folks armchair plan and outfit the perfect adventure bike in their head, and come up with a minute by minute itinerary of their dream trip, and they never get there. You rode what you already had, loaded your gear and hit the road, way to go.

Of course, on the flip side you have the folks that get the hardware, the bike all perfectly outfitted, maps in the panniers, super-worldly look about the bike, but they never leave their home town. It's sort of like the Range Rover's you see at the mall, brush guards everywhere, Serengeti sticker in the window, that will never even see a dirt road.

I lived in Alaska for over 30 years, and your writing helped me vividly recall some of the places that you visited. Thanks for that. You are an inspiration.
  18. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I do my best. The idea of living in Alaska has definitely crossed my mind, though I have no plans to at the moment. Fantastic place.
  19. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    Very interesting indeed! My original e-mail address was justjeff!

20. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been lurking on this site for several months. I had to register just to congrat Snowrider on a fantastic trip report. It took me 3 nights to get thru it, TWICE ! Your writing style is unique and pics superb. I would be honored to hook up with you for a beer or 2 or 3. I live 20 minutes south of Madison- my daughter goes to school at the UW.