just because its there

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by ganshert, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    left Anchorage 0430 Friday
    arrived Arctic Circle 1830 took picture, took piss
    left Arctic Circle 1900
    arrived Fairbanks 2300
    camped and rode back to Anchorage Sat. morning

mostly nice road, managed to average over 60 between the Yukon River and the circle, even with about a mile of very slick mud

lots of loose gravel on the first 20 or so miles of the Dalton, wouldn't recommend for the gravel inexperienced or those that just don't have fun in the dirt

next year we leave earlier and ride all the way back non stop

travel tip, the gas pump at the Yukon is only open 9AM to 9PM, we made it with an hour to spare but could see how it might screw up a good plan

Gusgus, were you heading north on the parks through Wasilla about 3ish Saturday? We were the yellow GS and red KLR going south. whoever it was they were waving like they new us!

Scot
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Do we get to see that picture?

We can do without the piss......
    :1drink
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    OK, OK, We in the valley always wave like that. You never know when it may be a relative.
    Or a possible date with a relative, or the bail bondsman, since we all from the valley, helped tp put his kids through school.
    I did see you, and knew, you all were needing a good wave.
    We were returning from the tree hugger get together in Girdwood. They call it the Forest fair. Let me tell you first, it is a bunny hugger migratory layover. 100 women and one bra. Looked like they all had a wrestling match going on in their tank tops. 200 men and 5 teeth. All of em had a lisp.

The ride was nice.

It sounds like you and your buddy had an iron butt ride to your piss spot.

I had one Monday, across Denali.

One of my next wannado rides will be the Dalton.

McCarthy, is on the table, yet I am uncertian about it right now (actually I am in heavy discussion as I write this).

So many rides,,,, so little funding......................:rad :dunno :baldy :zilla :(:
  4. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Ok, so Steve and I discussed several possible names for this trip. "5° of seperation" or "5°1Day" or "A2AC" or "AAC"

you know along those lines

thoughts?

come on you clever people lets hear it

Salute!
    [​IMG]

Some other people we met. I just remember that she really didn't care for the seat on the DR. She might have mentioned it 47 or 48 times :)
    [​IMG]

Legion, you inspired me
    [​IMG]

Proof that a GS can go offroad, Steve at the "start" sign, notice how clean his bike is! I don't think my KLR has ever been that clean.
    [​IMG]
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    We was definetly draggin @ss at that point.

I'm ready to do it again though. I didn't satisfy my need to make it back to Anchorage non stop.

Anybody up for it? When does the weather go to crap up there? Is an August departure pushing it?
  6. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I would be up for a 2 day ride to Pruhdoe. .....:jump
  7. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    1 day up and 1 day back?

I'm in!
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I really want to do this journey, maybe on the weekend of the McCarthy trip.
    As I don't have a kitchen pass for McCarthy

Or the 16th and 17th, how does this sound?

So there will or should be 2 of us?

Rock On Ganshert, I'm thinking it chould be an ass burner.

This qualifies for a saddlesore 1000 and also a Bunburner 1500 IBA rides.
    1000 miles in 24 hours or 1500 miles in 36 hours, interested? In either?
    Actually I am in for both, if you think we could do it.
    I have read the rules and they are actually easy to comply with. The ride is tough......:eek1
  9. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I'm already commited to the McCarthy ride.

How about I go to McCarthy on the 15th, then meet you (and anybody else dumb enough) in Fairbanks for lunch at noon on the 16th then we hit Prudhoe and come back as far as we want and camp?

This is sounding like more and more fun all the time! I don't need no stinkin iron butt, but you can go for it.

Day 1 July 15
    Anch - McCarthy 300 (or stay home like a little girl :D )

Day 2 July 16
    McCarthy - Fairbanks 360 (or Anch - Fairbanks 360)
    Fairbanks - Prudhoe 500
    Prudhoe - Coldfoot 250 (I don't think my tent is polar bear proof)

Day 3 July 17
    Coldfoot - Fairbanks 250
    Fairbanks - Anch 360

Total for Weekend 2020

Anybody else stupid enough?
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Stupid enough? You really meant to say "got balls" right?

847 miles from Anchorage to Prudhoe PLUS the 250 miles from Prudhoe to Coldfoot would qual you for the saddlesore 1000. I mean if you are doing it anyhow.

I am still thinking the Bunburner 1500 is what interests me the most, but I could downsize, I think.

Trouble with meeting you (or anyone) may create some troubles with the mental needs to complete a ride of this magnatude.
    It is a full on mental ride. 1500 in 36 is a real test of man and machine in my estimate. Especially since gravel isn't a usual venue for Iron Butt rides.
    Can it be done in Alaska? Can it be done to Prudhoe? I don't know.

We have peeked Friar Mike's interest also.

Bunburner anyone?
  11. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    What is the concern with meeting up in Fairbanks? the potential to miss each other and waste time?

We could designate a 15 minute window and no hard feelings if either of us misses it.

I likely wouldn't do the Prudhoe leg without going with somebody else, for safety reasons, so I don't have a problem getting to Fairbanks a little early and waiting so we could just hit it and you wouldn't even have to stop if you didn't want to.

Anyway I'm pretty punctual :evil

I'm really not interested in the iron butt thing, but I will certainly keep going as long as you wanted to ride so you could get your 1500 in!
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I haven't had many rides with meetings in the middle of them. Unless it included an overnight at that spot. That is why I shy away from it during this kind of ride. But if you want to be there, lets ride.

Punctual would be the word for this ride, I think.

As far as knowing when I would be in Fairbanks. I haven't a clue. But I think I would want to be through there when traffic is the least. Avoiding the rush hour, both directions.
  13. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I was thinking noon but earlier would be fine.

Last time we left at 0445 and got there right at noon. The only construction was in the last 30 miles and it will be a non issue on Saturday morning. We were doing 65 - 70 and stoping whenever we wanted as we weren't in any kind of hurry.

Do you have a cell phone? Any ideas for a good meeting spot?
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have a cell, I will PM ya.

As far as a good meeting spot, on the main drag through town or maybe beyond town?

I don't know Fairbanks very well. Any suggestions?

I will do some more checking with IBA and see what the criteria is when gravel is 57% of the trip? It may not mean anything but it could.

How is fuel on the highway? The KLR will run how far between fuelings? I can go comfortably 300 miles, maybe a little less at 70mph. 70 mph is a good target speed though.

I will bring tent & bag and such even though no plan on camping can be done with the 15 in 36 ride.
  15. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    How is fuel on the highway? The KLR will run how far between fuelings? I can go comfortably 300 miles, maybe a little less at 70mph. 70 mph is a good target speed though.

Hey Gus, Nancy just got back from her annual ride to Deadhorse. The folks at Sag river DOT told her that a big project starts on July 9th. They will be dumping 20 K tons of gravel on the road N of the Brooks range! This could make things interesting. Be careful!!
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I will check into it, Thanks for the heads up. May just make it more better? I know how it will end up. Friggin flaggers and follow me trucks. Now that sucks.
    :ace
  17. sdhmt

sdhmt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do they generally work on the Dalton Highway on weekends ?
    I'll be up next month from Montana, thought I might make it easier on myself by riding up to Deadhorse when there's less road work underway ?
    Either way looking forward to it.
  18. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking they are all government highway workers. SO, weekends and holidays they are tough to get off the porch, unless they fall off for a good rest.
    For example There is a bridge near Wasilla here in Alaska, which has been under construction for 3 years. I drive past it every week day, twice. I have never seen more than 2 workers on it, working, or even standing. I heard yesterday one of the two workers got to old and retired so it may take another 15 years since the last guy will have to do ALL the work now.
    :patch

My first ride to Prudhoe is next weekend. Coupled with the Bunburner attempt.
    I have had 2 friends drive it in the last week.
    One of them did it 2 up. With a '93 PD. No trouble at all.
    The other was a friends wife and her girlfriend. Both in their mid to late 40's on F650GS's I did get some caution advise from them as it rained on them and they had a few troubles with slick roads. I think the trouble may have been street tires, and a great caution style of riding. :gyro :icy
  19. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    The Dot folks don't take weekends and holidays during the summer. If they're doing the work, it won't matter what day of the week it is. Of course, it will take them a long time to get it done...
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Like the bridge crew? A couple of fellas doing lots of over time?
    Figures!