Just Bought a '69 Yama AT1

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by kwilder, Jun 21, 2017.

1. kwilder

kwilder n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought this clean '69 AT1 from the original owner. It is not running currently, but should be in a day or so.

[​IMG]

I have a question maybe someone else who has one or has had one could answer. What is this tube here? The clear-ish one that is open ended. The thicker black tube is the oil line from the oil tank. I can't find anywhere the clear tube should plug into, but i don't want to try to start it until I know what it is, incase it is another oil line or something. Does anyone know what it should attach to?
    [​IMG]
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a gearbox breather. We used to put a little piece of open cell foam on the end to keep dirt out.
  3. kwilder

kwilder n00b

Oddometer:
    So I put a new battery in the bike, amazingly the electric start works! Cleaned the carb, and now the bike wants to run but keeps backfiring out the carb. In fact it backfires out the intake with the carb off and just spraying starting fluid in the intake. I think this means the timing is wrong? According to the manual, in order to set the timing, you need a dial indicator in the spark plug hole. Is there any other way to do this? Why couldnt they put timing marks on the flywheel like a Honda?
  4. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Find out the BTDC requirements then you could get a timing disk use that be the best way, or you could make a guide from an old spark plug and a 4 inch nail, find tdc on the as1 i think there will be a mark some where, but if not you can wing it by feel and watching the amount of flywheel movement judge the middle of any movement if you understand.
    use the nail in the improvised spark plug guide, then use the heal of a vernier take your 3mm 3.5 mm whatever btdc reading from there, you could just do all this through the plug hole itself but modifying an old plug squares things up a little better thinking its a bit more accurate that way.
    JCool likes this.