Just bought my first scooter, Honda Forza 300.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by WorstDriverEver, Dec 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WorstDriverEver

WorstDriverEver n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just now realized that I should asked you guys before buying this scoot.

I purchased a 2014 Honda Forza 300cc w/ 18k miles. I don't know if it was a good purchase, after a little research on this very forum a lot of you guys consider this to be a lot of miles.

What kind of maintenance should I do on it in with this mileage and what problems should I be looking forward to? I have a 30 mile daily commute and I just want to save on gas. Was this a good purchase at 2K? Thank you.
    The Virginian likes this.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Probably the price was in line. PCXs, which are a 150cc version of the same basic scooter, go for about 1500-1800 used.

18k is untypically high mileage, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Bikes that are used tend to last longer, with fewer failures, than garage queens that get taken out a couple times a year. And Honda engines tend to be bulletproof.

You need to change the oil and service the filter. Check the rear axle lubrication. And, probably not right away, but you're getting up to where you need to check your coolant - some shops have a way of chemically determining how much corrosion is in it; others will just say, change it. But it doesn't last forever.

Yeah, and flush the brake lines, front and rear.

See your manual about how often valve clearance needs to be checked/set.
  3. bestme

bestme n00b

Oddometer:
    18k mileage, that's what I can not bear
  4. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it depends, 18,000 miles is nothing on a loved and maintained scooter on the other hand if it's rode into ground. Did it come with a maintenance log or other proof of work done. I would not pay 2,000 for it without proof of having a new cvt belt/rollers/plastic guides.
    It should be on it's second cvt belt but if your not sure that's got to be checked. Also the coolant and brake fluid needs checked/replaced also the spark plug if you don't know it's history. That might sound scary but it's nothing but a weekend spent with a online service manual you tube videos. Get stumped ask here. 18,000 is pushing original wear items for peace of mind I would check all that
  5. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the westeners that consider 18k miles high mileage...
    There are scoots running around Asia with 40/50.000km plus on them..
    other than there first service when new they have hardly seen a spanner...
    or oil change for that matter.... a lot of the Honda Waves 110/125 / Yamaha Fin 125 have sidecars..
    One thing you could look at is a new belt...And a dam good service
    and you are good to go...

The Asian scoots have a oil alarm…. "engine knock" and they know it's time to add oil..

6. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Welcome, you could answer a lot of these question yourself if you had a look at the service schedule in the owners manual, and then the service book, and see what's been done. At 18k miles and more than 5 years old there are a lot of items like brake fluid, radiator fluid, engine oil, transmission oil, brake pads, valve clearance, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, head bearing, wheel bearings, rollers, belt, tire thread etc etc which should have been checked and serviced. Have these things been done along the way? Because that's the first thing you should ask.

And if you don't know if the routine maintenance has been done or not you should ask yourself why the heck you bought a second hand motorcycle without checking all these things first. Maintenance which hasn't been kept up with are either a reason to walk away or haggle hard.
    Glen e likes this.
  7. wilsongj

wilsongj Ha, made it to Spain!

Oddometer:
    Hi,from France, I have a 1988 Helix, 65k kms on the clock. Give your scoot a good service, check belt and rollers etc. It's a Honda, do not thrash it and it will serve you well
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience with 250cc scooters is that they get you to nearly 50,000 miles before the cost of repairs outweighs the cost of another lower mileage used one. My last one had 46,000 miles on it when I retired it and was running strong but needed a new rear tire, belt, rollers and the suspension was shot. I could have fixed all of that and had a scooter worth $300- $500, less than the total of all of the repairs.
    cheapeto likes this.
  9. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Change the belt if it hasn't already been done, change the engine and rear end oil ( change rear end oil when you have the case open for belt change ) and ride it. You can change brake fluid eventually. Is the battery newer or the original?
    My Reflex has 25k miles on it. I'd ride it anywhere.
  10. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded mine with over 30,000 miles on it.
    Was running just fine when I rode it the last 60 miles to the dealer.
    Although there had been various gremlins, the engine was very reliable.
    Things to check...
    Rear brake caliper for sticking and pad wear
    Tell tale hole under waterpump for coolant leakage
    Knackered clutch bearings, makes nasty noises when pushing scooter about
    Brake light switches
    Fuel pump recall
    Steering head bearings

Check these, replace the drivebelt and all the fluids and it'll be good to go.
    Wouldn't worry about 18,000 miles at all, its nothing.
    Looked after properly it'll still be running fine at 180,000 miles.
  11. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all congratulations on joining the club. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about what you paid-that's nobody else's business. If you're happy, that's all that counts. Third thing is that if you did nothing else right, you bought a Honda. You generally can't go wrong on that. Read up on the maintenance items, and if you're unsure or don't know if it's been done, do it. It shouldn't be much more than changing the fluids-read up how to do it properly- and enjoy the ride! BTW, 18000 miles is NOT high miles.
    wilsongj and The Virginian like this.
  12. WorstDriverEver

WorstDriverEver n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you all I've read all of your suggestions and I will get started on the service intervals. I will have everything looked at, especially the belt! Thank you all again.
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm our Aprilia-Piaggio Sports City started it's last cannonball with over 70,000 miles on it. I did have to replace the scooter at 88,000 mikes give or take but that was due to Harvey flooding, the scoot was still running great. I did have to replace ace the variator after t e cannonball in Tacoma before riding it back home. Over the years besides routine maintenance I has to replace the tail light assembly (cannonball dirt roads related broke a tab or two so it rattles, still worked fine but the rattle annoyed me) one starter and a stripped mirror that's (another cannonball related issue due to h w the windscreen is mounted on that scoot) Cannonballs can be hard on scooters especially if you ride to the start and finish.

Frankly a scooter with 18,000 miles on it over 5 years is merely one that was risen not a garage queen. I'd take but a 5 year old scooter with 18,000 over one with 1,800. Engines don't like sitting around with old gas in them. Now if it had 50,000 miles there might be caused for concern but it is a Honda So even then I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't know when the belt and rollers were lost changed then you may want to do that along with fluids but I wouldn't sweat it.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV and more importantly Battle Scooters. There are many, many helpful folks here if you hit a speed bump on your scooter journey. Many folks here have logged a heck of a lot more miles on a Forza then 18k! Post a pic of your new Forza and and jump on in.

I have to parrot what minimac said, his statement is spot on.

Again welcome,

Eric
    Moat and klaviator like this.
  15. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine had near 50K when I sold it, still ran like new. On its fourth set of brake pads (never really understood that one)

No shop time involved.

How this one was run/maintained is unknown, so best of lucks...
    These things are very well built but absolutely need proper care to last.

Here's mine's log book :

- fuel pump recall (did it myself, nice dealer)
    - 5K motor oil/filter, trans oil changes
    - 5K cvt clutch bearings lube, 26K belt/rollers/guides change
    - valve shims clearances @ 15K, some .001"-or-so tight. After that, stayed put.
    - steering bearing lube @ 10K (one messy job with a ton of plastics in the way, plus had to buy
    Honda 07916-km10000 special tool...not for the noob this one)
    - 10K coolant changes
    - 10K brake fluid changes /caliper clean+lube (brake lube only).
    - 10K air filter changes
    - regular belt housing filter cleaning
    - fork oil every year
    - various pivots lube jobs, as needed.
    - winterizing cylinder/fuel system every year.

All these need to be done, otherwise the bike won't last. Just as simple as that.
    Now have this done at the shop and... here comes the mullah flying, hey...
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  16. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand this post. Are you saying the scooter was only worth $100-300 before repairing?
  17. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the UK a 250 scooter with 50,000 miles needing major repairs would be worth nothing.
    Unless it was a Vespa.
  18. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The repairs listed did not sounds like major repairs to me, but i am not sscooter expert. As I repair all my own stuff, i was looking at $500 or so in parts and a few hours to repair.
  19. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The suspension is what pushed me to trash it. Had it been just belt, tires and rollers I would have kept it going but what I had was a 13 year old Daelim that had been used for year round commuting that had not been washed since year one. It was severely weathered. I would had had to have a shop replace the front suspension but I could have done everything else myself. I'm guessing the total of all of repairs would have outweighed the value of the scooter. With the used market for 250-350cc scooters being what it is it just made better since to pick up another low mileage used scooter. In the USA used KYMCO's are a particularly good deal and its not unusual to see low mileage 2005-2009 250cc carbureted models selling in the $1200-$1500 range. I bought my daughter a mint condition KYMCO Like 200 with 800 miles on it for $1000 a couple years ago.
  20. rdhood

rdhood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2013 Downtown 300i (299cc fuel injected) with 7800 miles for $1400. It proves your point, and I agree.
    tastroman likes this.