just curious, can you ride from UK to South Africa and how?

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by steveh2112, Oct 18, 2017.

1. steveh2112

steveh2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have no plans to do it right now, i'm planning a Mexico trip to get my feet wet on long distance touring first, but, i've never been to Africa and i've heard great things about it.

i looked on youtube and didn't find many practical, useful vids about routes and experiences from the UK to South Africa.

maybe there's some good info on here? i'll look around but just wondered if someone would like to advise? maybe one day, i'll have a go.

thanks

i just found one blog https://uk2za.wordpress.com/route/
  2. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you can , actually that is what we are doing now. The road are most of the time pretty good and the people friendly . Just take the time to get all info regarding the visa and and bike paperwork. The West coast is pretty easy and the East coast cost more (Egypt) take a simple bike , no need of huge power but at least 200 miles fuel tank. Go to the HUBB you will get all info needed.
    Good luck
    Johno33772 and steveh2112 like this.
  3. steveh2112

steveh2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool, do you have a blog or a trip thread or something?
  4. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a site but not up to date , we travel on 2 DR650 and they are really good for everything.we are doing a RTW trip we left from France to Russia ....China ..Japon SE Asia and now Africa.
    You can check my site at www.hendikaf.com but due to partial laziness and bad internet its far from updated.
    Central or South America are great to learn to travel and still fairly inexpensive.
    Good luck
    Hendi
  5. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also starting to plan a ride across Africa. Starting in Spain then Morocco, would like to cross over so I can also include include Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique and Zimbabwe on my way to SA. Any suggestions and route advice would be greatly appreciated
  6. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Horizons Unlimited often a better bet for this sort of question. How would you get from Morocco to the eastern side? Is Libya and Algeria OK these days? Look into the costs of getting a carnet for Egypt.
    95Monster likes this.