Just Dan's go at a major resto on a early model Tenere'

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Just Dan, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    This is where I need Andy to chime in here. From what I gather. In Aus the 83 came with a 28 Litre tank and the 84 on came with a 32 Litre tank.
  2. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Spent another couple of hours with the paint stripper this arvo. Just got to do some cleaning up. That will most likely take longer than the stripping part

On the way home from work. Picked up one of these and some grit. Had a bit of a go without much success. Made a lot of mess without much benefit. Should read the instructions. I think was holding the gun too close to the job.
    [​IMG]

Looks like I will be doing some welding on the week end fixing up broken bits and few cracks I have found.

Do you think I need a new guard?
    [​IMG]

Where is a good place to order steering head bearings, swing arm bearings & fork seals from?
  4. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that I dislike pant stripper. Finished that messy job. Now onto cleaning up and start on welding up some cracks and remove the old steering head cups from the frame.
    [​IMG]

Am I getting any where? The dints and rust is not as bad as I thought. Also will get some POR15 and line the inside of tank while it is naked.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  5. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Those 34L tanks are REALLY thin.
    I got one and its been welded on too.
    the metal feels 1/2 as thick of the metal used on the XT550.
  6. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Yep, they are the thin side. Hopefully I can bend up some steel and poke the inside and try and push the dint out a bit.:wink:
  7. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    That's it for a Saturday arvo. Welded up the rear indicator mounts, coil mounts and those pesky steering head bearing cups.

Next stage painting the frame...
    [​IMG]
  8. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Most of the restoration threads I have read opt for powder coating as their best friend. While powder coating does has some advantages. Like someone else doing the job. Powder coating frames on trail bikes might not be the be best thing. Powder coating is tough, but brittle. Once a stone chip starts, it quickly spreads and starts lifting the rest.

I going for the tried and tested method that was done on frames from the 40's on through the 70's. If you own a airhead you might just reconize the colour of the primer. I have gone for an epoxy based enamel. Not quick drying and takes a good week to cure. When properly dry, it is tough and flexiable.

I suppose 10 years of being a spray painter might be useful and hence my aversion of hating paint stripper. In a previous life. I have painted semis, buses, tractor, motorcycles and a few hundred aircraft. From F111, Macch MB326H, and parts of F-18's. As well as working in a panel shop for motorbikes.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  9. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Shiny red paint. Just have to let it harden up for a week before putting the new steering head bearings in. Plenty more to get on with.
    [​IMG]

After painting the frame. Went over to Andy Gadget for a coffee. Might as well take over the lower triple clamps and press the bearing off. Feels like the bearing has been on for at least a million years. Nothing a bit of heat and a 30 ton press cannot handle.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  10. Chicko

Chicko Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Both Andy Gadget and I live in suburbia with our garages under the house. Our poor neighbours having to put up with us. KCRW blaring out of the radio competing with grinders and welders etc.
    Came home from work today and found this on my nature strip. Righto time to break out the sander and finish off the tank while the concrete truck is here.

Picked up some new head steam bearings for the XT on the way home from work. Standard over the counter bearing yippie. Part numbers 32005x & 32006X. $39 for the pair of Timken bearings

Next step. Try and remove some of the ding out of the tank with stuff lying around the garage.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  13. El Toad Man

El Toad Man Tropical adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got plenty of work for yourself Dan!
    I believe the 83-85 tanks were all the same - the "quoted" figure varies but actual capacity was 28 litres.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I dont recall the first year model having an oil cooler. Do you have one for yours Dan? They were basically an XT600 with a big tank and short seat.

There was a big update in '86. The Tenere became quite different to the XT600. I've still got a 1986 magazine with a writeup in it somewhere. Many changes, including the bigger looking but smaller capacity 26 litre tank.

Keep up the good work! :thumb
  14. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I starting to think you are right about the tank size. Check on the oil cooler.

Sand blasted the triple clamps today and put a coat of etch to keep the finger prints off:lol3 Show day on Thursday. Either go for a ride or pull the forks apart.

[​IMG]
  15. El Toad Man

El Toad Man Tropical adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! that's good to know. I had a 1984 XT600, I wished that had the oil cooler, it used to get very hot in slow going.
    :thumb
  16. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    i remember you saying that but i never had that problem with the Tenere's ....the KLR600 on the other hand:poser cooking with Oil :eek1 or was that coolant :lol3
  17. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah and the Teneres had even more cooling problems later on when they moved the air filter under the tank, extended the sides of the tank down to cover more of the engine and had to move the oil cooler which reduced the amount of air running past it. Oops!
  18. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    After reading a few threads on XT's, about engine problems on old bikes . It is starting to make worry a bit about the engine and maybe I should be working on that first. As there is no point having good looking paint if the engine cases are wreaked.

To nice a day to hang around the garage today. Went for a ride on the RS instead.
    [​IMG]

Before I left. I painted a few bits and the tank is starting to take shape. Tried getting the dents out with different shaped levers. Got them about half way out. Very sharp crease was a hold up on the show. The more effort trying to remove the dents. The more the gas cap would buckle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  19. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    the main issue i've seen with the XT600's is the gear box wearing out other than that its the normal Bottom end and piston/top end etc wearing out
  20. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I have not heard this engine running. Other than 3rd hand info that it has a knock in the clutch basket area. I would say being of high mileage. 5th gear must be whining.

Plus with the engine not being air tight for a least couple of years. It does kick over and the piston goes up and down without stopping:lol3

I have had enough of painting for a while. I might start pulling the engine apart on the week end.