Just Dan's go at a major resto on a early model Tenere'

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Just Dan, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Arrrgh how many different headlight shrouds can there be. I have thinking I might have to teach myself plastic welding. Every thing I have cracked as well. Just like its owner, I guess.:lol3
  2. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Cannot put it off any longer. Time for some cleaning. Start with the swing arm bits. A few years of caked on dirt and grease.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Time to break the mini Mezo parts cleaner.:lol3
    [​IMG]

After a couple hours and a bit of plastic bag sand blasting.
    [​IMG]
  3. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Pop the grease nipples out Dan & give em a good clean, mine were packed solid with crap & the springs hardly moved, i used & toothpick to clean the crud out & a watchmakers screwdriver to press the ball bearing in.

Dunked in in de-greaser several times & blew it out with an airline, they was chocka blocka. :deal

Mezo.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done plastic welding before and it's pretty easy. I was welding polypro for making etching tanks but most weldable plastics are about the same.

I had used a pretty basic kit from McMaster-Carr supply house (like #7890A3) that ran about $350 at the time. I think there are cheaper ones available but beware of ones that don't put out enough heat.

The other thing is to get the proper plastic alloy rod to match what you are welding.
  5. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Right "O" Mezo & Dan. I had some head time while degreasing parts and thought. Bloody hell, what have got myself into. Just doing a mental thing of what I need to buy to finish the tank and forks off. Then the swing arm & wheels.

if I had deep pockets. This resto caper would easy. I stopped off at some shops this morning to see if they had an idea of how front spokes would be and maybe a new excel rim. The were not sure, but at least $150 for front spoke set and around $240 for a front rim.

I need new front springs and red fork boots. That finishes the front forks.

To finish the tank I need. POR 15 kit, 2 pack primer and clean white paint, a sticker kit.

To finish off the swing arm. I need new bearing kit, plastic chain guides.

Phew, and have not got to the interesting bit. the engine......
  6. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Not a thing we celebrate in Aus. Happy or sad Halloween, you Americano's
    :pot:lobby
  7. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Haaa, gets expensive when you do it properly. :evil

All the OEM Yamaha bits i get from Boats.net, wait till you have a long list of stuff & get it all in one go.

Some bits you can buy patern parts, some bits you will need OEM. And remember the US did not get the Tenere so you have to get the stuff that fits on the bog standard XT600 of the same year (most bits cross over).

The reason im pointing you towards the US is because of the exchange rate is much better than the UK exchange, shipping is similar even but normally slightly cheaper from the US, and don't even waste a call to your local dealer its going to be a rip off i guarantee that.

Its just a matter of shopping around for as much patern stuff you can get from one guy & the rest (OEM gear) from Boats.net.

Mezo.
  8. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I will email boats.net. They are showing a listing of spoke kits being available.

Shiny, shiny
    [​IMG]

The list of shiny parts are growing
    [​IMG]
  9. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Noticed you did your top clamp silver Dan & not the original black, personnel preference?

Them hubs look just as nice as powdercoat, but there again your a professional painter. :deal

Mezo.
  10. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I was not sure what colour the top triple clamps were. I set I have, were silver, black, silver and silver again. No biggy, I can paint them black.

I found out about the headlight shroud I have. It is a 43F

I have just ordered some Wirth forks springs from Germany.
  11. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Bugger another rainy day here. Might as well have a quick look at the engine.

Some handy bit of welding.
    [​IMG]

A couple mins with an angle grinder.
    [​IMG]

Do you think the shaft is stuffed?
    [​IMG]

While the motor is here, I thought to myself. I just have a quick look under the rocker cover to see just how bad the internals are. I removed all the cap screws and started tapping with a rubber hammer. No movement, heck what's the go here. Another quick look to see I had not missed any cap screws. Keep tapping, no happening. I wonder if there is an internal cap screw. Yep inside the rear rocker cover. Moral is - read the destruction manual first.

I am not holding my breathe, but under the cams, rockers and cam chain look in good nick.
    [​IMG]
  12. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    That does look promising Dan. :evil

Wonder if its had a new head & the bottom is rooted. :lol3

Fingers crossed.

Mezo.
  13. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I reckon the bottom end would be rooted. Most likely 3rd & 5th gear, Clutch basket and gear lever shaft.

Good news is. It selects gear and the piston goes up and down. Shining a torch down the intake and exhaust ports. They look not to bad at all.

Proof is in the pudding. Need to pull to motor completely apart to see what needs replacing.
  14. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice thread!

That valve assembly looks really good in comparison to other stuff!
  15. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    If the top clamp should be black. Which black Mezo? gloss, satin or matt.... Too mannnny choices..
  16. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    To many choices of black mate, just wander out in the Tasmanian night & look up, that's the one. :evil

Mezo. :thumb
  17. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:freaky
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, that was a real surprise. After looking at the shift lever shaft I was thinking "dang, this bike really had a hard life....." hopefully there will be some more pleasant surprises to come.

A thought, if all those headlight shells crack so bad, has anybody considered doing up a fiberglass mold and making a replica in fiberglass? Being in the plastics biz I can tell you that's probably the most cost affective approach for a low volume replacement to that part and the cracking issue would be gone.
  19. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    How do you do that then? :ear

Could do with side panels as well. :deal

Mezo.
  20. metropolis2k

metropolis2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sign me up for some of them! I know UFO make some replacement TT side panels that might fit though (but I would need to get them painted blue).