Just installed an Aeroflow on my 1200GS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mistercindy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    I installed an Aeroflow on my 1200GS yesterday and have put about 150 miles on it in heavy gusting winds. The verdict: it transforms the bike. This is now the best bike I've ridden. I was on the verge of trading it in on a 12RT, but the light weight and fun factor of the 12GS stopped me. That, and I'm just not old enough for a 12RT!

I've always loved the power and flickability of the 12GS, but the stock screen just beat the crap out of me with dirty air, and with heavy gusts the bike almost felt unsafe. I installed a Laminar Lip which helped quite a bit, but the Lip started to develop a stress fracture, so I wanted to replace it before it snapped on my at 80 mph. Part of the problem is that, at 6'0" and a 30" inseam I sit tall in the saddle.

Installation takes some time. It took me three hours, but I took my time. I've never seen an aftermarket item with such perfect, easy to follow instructions. They are simply great. Don't need any wildass tools. Just be careful and follow the directions to the letter and you're good to go.

Quality is tremendous. The metal parts are beautifully machined, and the screen and lower body is quality as well.

The ride is great. Some ride thoughts (keeping mind I was riding in 30 mph gusts on the highway):

- I still get a decent amount of clean air around my body which I like, but my upper arms and torso no longer get the crap beaten out of them.
    - With less buffetting on the arms and torso, my hands no longer buffet the bars so the ride is far smoother in heavy and gusty cross winds. Much better!
    - The noise is greatly reduced. Even with earplugs the Laminar Lipped screen was loud, and the stocker before the Lip was a pulsating annoyance. With the Aeroflow I noticed that I could actually hear the engine.
    - I got the tall size and my eyes are a couple of inches above the screen so I'm not looking through glass. It took a few miles to get used to, but after that I don't even notice it.

IMHO its well worth the high price tag.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep wondering if I'm old enough for an aeroflow (sounds like exactly what Iwant though!!!)!
  3. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    I test rode a 12RT and it just didn't have that fun flickability factor that I get out of the 12GS. The RT, while a great bike, is far more staid and, IMHO, is not what I want out of a bike. At least not now. After I tested the 12RT and thought I liked it, I got on my 12GS to ride home and realized that the RT just wasn't for me. The 12GS is just far more fun.

I did find the electric RT screen to be very cool, though. I could really create a cacoon of no air around me if that's what I wanted. I can see that hte 12RT is a great cold weather bike. That's not the case with the Aeroflow and the 12GS, though, since I still get plenty of clean air.
  4. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    How much was the aeroflow ? did you take any pics of the finished install ?

thx, hp
  5. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    i put the z-technik adjustable on my 12GS, but it aint doin what the aeroflow does for the 1150 RT,, i think i'll run this one til i crash and break it, the go aeroflow, or maybe the taller ceebailey,,i am 6'4" and this one just isnt that much of an improvement,,i think tobinators would help, but there ya go with more cash outlay, and if that wont help,,shoot the bike!,:eek1,,,,,,,,,NOT!:lol3
  6. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    Cost for the clear version, tall size, including shipping: $491.

Sorry, no pics as I haven't got a host for my pictures yet. But the AeroFlow website has pics. Except their pics only show the AeroFlow on the 12GS with the colored bottom half which, IMHO, doesn't look good at all. I got the all clear. If you'll email me, I'll return the email with attached pics of the clear Aeroflow on a 12GS that AeroFlow sent me before I bought it. Sorry, but for now its the best I can do. And BTW, I'll be on vacation until the 22nd, so I won't be getting my emails until then.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just don't like that big piece of plexi-glass on the front of a GS.

I understand the desire to reduce the "dirty air" that is so prevelent with this model. I added the Cee Bailey +3/+3 on my 12GS and it is an improvement, but still there is alot of turbulence.

WhenI had an 1150GS I used the Tobinators (with the stock screen). They worked great. However, the 12GS windscreen setup does not lend to the Tobinator concept. Tobes let air under the screen as well as over it, which creates a smoother airflow with almost no turbulence. Of course, Tobes were not perfect. Due to the design of the brackets, the screen would shake like crazy when riding off-road.

Personally, I bought the GS because I wanted a motorcycle with minimal bodywork to ride on and off-road with a small windscreen to manage windblast at speed. I just wish they would come out with something to help smooth out the "dirty air" on the 12GS. Right now, I will have to live with it.
  8. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    I have tried them all. DO your self a favor. Remove the W/S. Put in ear plugs, go ride w/ a quality helmet and good fitting MOTOR CYCLE riding GEAR. You may just be like me grinin' from ear to ear! Alltough I have been doing that for 10 of the last 30 riding years. I have found that at 100 and up a w/s or k12s type faring would be betta. For 90 and below, I AM MY OWN turbulator. TRY IT!
  9. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    I've done the same thing. While many would never consider this it is quite a viable option. The air smooths out and it's quiter as well.

Currently I ride with a screen that was cut DOWN from stock. I took 2 inches off the top and a couple of inches off the sides (up to the bend). Then I added the tobinators and leaned it all the way back. To me this gives me a bit more air but it's WAY smoother than stock.
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the big problem with the aeroflow setup is that if you bought your GS so you can ride it on unpaved roads and fire road, you are eventually going to reach a spot where you simply lose it.. and topple over... crunch $$$$ :cry I've seen it happen on an 1150.. and it wasn't pretty! :eek1

I've got that Givi screen, 6" taller than stock, flared at the base to cover the gap in the handguards.. I'm very pleased with the wind protection and silence at speed.... any more wind protection and I'd go back to my RT.
  11. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    But I have found that switching the top to a standard in the summer for local trips gives me the air flow in local driving to stay cooler....for longer trips, even in the summer, I switch back to the tall

I too am 6' with a 30" inseam....I know how it feels...

And I have done trips which included hundreds of miles of gravel roads, etc with no problems....no single track...I'm too old... :lol3
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    How tall are you? I agree the GIVI makes a big difference, but, silent it is not for this 6'1" dude! In fact, it is so friggin loud, I just might buy an aeroflow to help...
  13. twobmws

twobmws Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 3+3 Cee Bailey and Tobinators on my 12GS just don't cut it. For me, they reduced the turbulence about 50%, wind noise about 10%, but only when straight on to the wind. Any side wind, and you might as well take your Advil before you start the engine.

I just got back from the BMW NA Rally in Boise (to western Colorado). On the way up I did mostly two-lanes, but on the way back did the slab all the way. I was exhausted from ear plug pressure and buffetting. Last night I rode a 12RT home from Grand Junction, and boy it was nice being out of the blast of turbulence. But I prefer the GS for handling.

So I'm going to call Aeroflow this morning and take the plunge.

On my 70 BMW R75/5, I have no windshield and love it. Put about 5k per year on it. Had a windscreen, but finally decided to eliminate it. But on the R12GS, it seems a windscreen of some sort is appropriate for cross country travel.

I think I'll take my Cee Bailey and cut it down to a mini screen for summer use. Any advice on total height from someone that has a mini screen?

Nick
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    You will not regret the decision. Next to Mister Cindy, I might be the Aeroflow's next biggest cheerleader. Do it, you'll be glad you did
  15. Stopwatch

Stopwatch Choas: Life Itself

Oddometer:
    MisterCindy or anyone, have you input from the pillion/passenger side of the seat with the effect of Aeroflow and other shields, including the GS Adventure with those side gizmos on the side fairing?

Just completed a 5,400-mile trip during which I used a Laminar Lip on my R1200 GS. After we got home, I took off the Lip for a ride on the Interstate, just to remind myself. Both I and my wife felt it was *quieter* without the Lip! Geez. And I'd thought, at first, it was a tiny bit better with the Lip when I mounted it six weeks ago.

So, back to looking. Gotta stop the turbulance around the pilot's ears that rolls right back into the face of the pillion rider. The snap-pop-popping. Very tempted to cutting down the stocker screen and riding in clean air as I did with my '98 K1200RS.

Love the bike; Hate the noise at 60+.

Thanks for any tips.

Ride well,
    Stopwatch
    Thornton, Colo.
  16. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    Just answered your other threads by giving you this link. Sorry, didn't know you'd already seen it. I'm afraid I have no personal experience with passengers on a 12GS with an Aeroflow. My gut tells me that it'd have to be as good as it can get on a 12GS. But I really don't know.
  17. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 99%er

Oddometer:
    I am also thinking about buying an Aeroflow (will probably do it tomorrow, actually) and asked Aeroflow about the passenger protection. They told me that it's part of the qualification of the product and they don't consider the product tested and ready if it doesn't also protect the passenger. Take that for what you will. I will issue a report as soon as possible from the pillion perspective as I almost always ride with one.
  18. GS_AP

GS_AP Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just rode my '06 GS back and forth from San Diego to Vegas and the turbulence around trucks and w/ gusts of wind was so great it scared the crap out of me. I noticed it coming back from MotoGP as well. I'm only 5/11" w/ a 32" inseam. I'm used to sportbikes/naked bikes but I'm not used to having the buffeting push me around so much. It seems the Aeroflow is the best at fixing this, but am I the only one that thinks that thing will make my GS look like a 1992 Goldwing? I guess vanity sucks. Function should reign, but I just can't drop the belief that the best engineering is beautiful. I think I'm going to have to go w/ the Laminar Lip.
  19. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Having just completed about 7k or so out west...I found the stock screen to be adequate as long as I could avoid "dirty air"...particularly large trucks/vehicles in front of me. I either slowed down a bit and gave them some room or passed them (the usual recourse). If you do have to slab it with the GS...a multitude of 18 wheelers or camper/RV's can make for a turbulent ride. This bike likes clean air.
  20. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 99%er

Oddometer:
    Just get the clear one, and don't go painting it yellow. I'm sure it's barely visible (at, least, I'm hoping it is).