Just installed an Aeroflow on my 1200GS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mistercindy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Earl

Earl Trials Rider

Oddometer:
    The Aeroflow has been on my R1200 for 18 months and I have no regrets. My passenger stated improvement also.

It took a couple days to get used to the different looks of the screen but now seems normal to me.

My bike took first place in the best GS class last year at a rally so the screen can't be too bad looking.

The function out weighs the looks and cost for me.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    you have the same problem lots of others have. All I can say, is that in the end, you will more than likely trade the bike in, take the screen off entirely or buy an Aeroflow. I, like many others, spent $$ on different screens, tobinators and laminar lips, and finally found what we were looking for with an Aeroflow. I have some tobinators if you want to try those first...
  3. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Some thoughts:

- Your turbulence experience is the same as mine with the stock sceen. Passing 18-wheel rigs or riding in heavy cross winds scared the hell out of me.

- While this is certainly subjective, the Aeroflow really isn't ugly and certainly does not make a GS look like a Goldwing/Accord. It fits the bike beautifully and works like a charm. The first time you ride your GS with an Aeroflow it'll seem really big, but after a few days you really don't notice it.

- I tried a Laminar Lip, too. Its a decent product for a good price. It got rid of a fair amount of the turbulence, and some of the noise. But it made my shield shake terribly. It also developed a very slight stress fracture at one of the contact points after a couple thousand miles. I've heard of Lips breaking in pieces or flying off at high speed. Its not common, but it has happened. The stress fracture was enough to convince me to take it off.

Ditto that.

Others have spent more than me on a variety of products, but after the Lip I bit the bullet and went with the Aeroflow. Its a great product.
  4. GS_AP

GS_AP Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to be a jerk about the Goldwing comment. I got my Laminar Lip today. It definitely helps but I am experiencing the shield shake and am already worried about it. I haven't really had a chance to test the turbulence problem against trucks so I don't even know if it really works. I'll probably end up biting the bullet some day and going w/ the Aeroflow as well. The style is definitely subjective and I bet the more I look at it and the more I hear about how good it is, the more I'll like it. I didn't mean to offend. The Aeroflow seems to be the best solution based on everyone's input so feel free to give me the bird and laugh when I have to spend more money to get the "best" solution.:wink:

Oh yeah, did I mention how I think my new Aerostich Roadcrafter 1pc is the biggest piece of crap? My Motofizz large bag sucks major donkey too.

Just kidding... I love both. I think they're the 2 best pieces of gear I've ever bought. Anybody want to argue that? :evil
  5. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    No offense taken at all, and I never thought you were a jerk! One of the odd things about forums is that you can carry on an entire conversation and never catch the other guy's real intent since there is no voice inflection. Such is life in the 21st century...:D

Good luck!
  6. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 99%er

Oddometer:
    I mounted the aeroflow Saturday and took a long ride on Sunday with a passenger. We took a mix of country roads, parkways, and superslab.

I agree with Mr. Cindy - it transforms the bike. On non-slab I could ride comfortably at all speeds with my face shield up. My passenger claimed that she was very happy with the difference, and she's tall. Superslab was not so comfortable - a fair amount of noise and buffeting - but I guess that is inevitable on the slab. Not much any fairing can do with wind swirling around at all directions. I will need to test it out some more to make sure it's not the AF making slab riding worse, and also because the turbulent air in any conditions is just above my helmet giving very little tolerance for movement - occasionally I'd get popping just because my head was in the wrong position, and I'm only 5'8". But so far I think it's a good investment, or it will be with a little tweaking.

As for the looks, it is big, but ya bought this bike to ride, not to look at. Also, it doesn't look as bad as you might think. I got the clear version and did not paint it. It is barely visible cause it's clear, and the metal parts are very well-made, solid, and powder-coated to match the bike. In fact, I would say that in many ways the thing complements the utilitarian look and feel of the bike. One complaint - my install hit a snag because the powdercoating got into a hole that needed to accept a screw, but patience and a wire brush took care of that problem.

Contrary to the belief of some people, it does NOT eliminate airflow to an unpleasant degree. You will not think you're in a car or even on an RT. Anyway, this is a very subjective thing and pointless to debate, but I personally like the amount of airflow I got with the Aeroflow.

One more point about noise. It reduces wind noise dramatically, but on the GS that's a mixed blessing. You hear every weird noise the boxer makes. I like it, but it will take some getting used to. Also, I may have been hallucinating, but the laminar airflow itself makes peculiar noises, which can be jarring but again I am sure I'll get used to it.

Enough typing. I'm going to test out the Aeroflow some more.
  7. Jim Bud

Jim Bud Long timer

Oddometer:
    For highway riding, using an Airflow with custome molded earplugs....takes away all the stress of long distance riding....

It works great for me...
  8. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Now that you've got the windscreens mounted, you do know you can fine tune them? This can help the passenger, too.

Take off the two top screws that attach the upper shield at the arms. Now get some rubber washers of varying thickness and put them between the screen and arm. I use about 3/8" worth and that pushes the shield forward lifting the airflow to further reduce buffeting. The more you lift the upper screen the higher the airflow.

BTW, I too, use the standard screen for warm weather and the tall for winter, and on the crashing, well, I did dropped mine hard in the Yukon last summer and it cost me $145 to replace the lower portion of the shield. Insurance paid for it all anyway.
  9. jsdc2005

jsdc2005 99%er

Oddometer:
    That's a really good tip. Thank you.
  10. Iraqisunsets

Iraqisunsets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just kidding. I am finding it amusing to hear you guys talking about being tall and having issues - I'm 6'6" and feel your pain+++. I just got My '06 GSA 2 days ago - love it, but there is issues - The windscreen just protects my torso. My Transalp is just as good at wind protection and it has a much less prominent windscreen. I'm going to try tilting the screen back, but I don't have much issue with buffeting, I just get tons of noise - earplugs are a must. Any REAL tall guys with the definitive solution? I'm thinking the low screen with a good quiet helmet may be my best solution. Input appreciated!
    Now... How about shin protection offroad! I tried playing in the rocks/mud - OUCH! Those cylinder heads offer NO cushion whatsoever! :cry
  11. Iraqisunsets

Iraqisunsets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the wrong forum, so my smartass comments don't even apply. Dang Forum Jumping! :1drink