Just ordered the Garmin 396 LMT-S, how does it hook to the bike?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by pythontn, Jul 26, 2019.

1. pythontn

pythontn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my last motorcycle GPS was a Garmin 60csx which I still use, but wanted something newer, and mostly street ride now, so decided take chance with the Garmin 396 with not much research on it.. other then good reviews.. Just ordered today but curious how it hooks to bike? I'm assuming there some sorta cradle it mounts to that might have power all the time, that goes to battery, but I want to use on variety of bikes, so want way to go back and forth, is it just USB charged? if so I can run thru 12 volt cigarette lighter ? don't have one mounted on bike yet, but want to order it today if that's way I need to mount so have everthing ready next weekend.. Does it come with maps you can install on you computer as well? I know its preloaded? but I like be able look at maps routes on computer, are u able to upload tracks, waypoints, gps stuff,etc similar to the 60csx? just asking cuz maps preloaded, and I'm assuming it doesn't come with a DISC to install em on computer.. to do that , u have to buy city navigator? or does it come with a license # you can use to download maps? thanks guys. garmin.jpg
  2. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its been a while, but I did own a 395 a while back. Looks like the same mount though. So you will get one in the box. You will have to either buy multiple dedicated mount/psu for the other bikes. (expensive). Or use a cheaper aftermarket option like an X-mount. I bought a cheap Chinese copy a couple of years ago. Has built in power/USB connection, so could power anything with the right lead.
    The 395 used Garmin Express as the PC tool, I have no idea if basecamp will work? Express does the same job I believe. This is the software that you use to register your device with Garmin, download maps/updates, and of course, plan trips and download to the device. I don't recall any discs being supplied, but everything is available via Garmin as downloads.

Someone with more experience of this device may be along shortly with more info....

P.S. Should have bought a waterproof phone. :hide Only joking..really, honest.
  3. pythontn

pythontn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i see how the power works but can you power the garmin via the USB port to the bike also? via 12 volt port? the hardwire comes with it, has a box of something toward where you hook to battery, not sure what the purpose is, I'd rather power via USB with fused 12 volt adapter if this is a safe option?
  4. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be able to power it from a USB lead. But remember that like all USB stuff it's 5 volts, not 12. That "box" will be a transformer to reduce the voltage. As I said in my original post, use the supplied fittings to mount to your main bike, then just buy after market mounts for your other bike/s. If they have 12 volt sockets then just add one of these that will do the step down....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2GFP4M?aaxitk=hiLvn5mwaZy5HUBFGrRCrQ&pd_rd_i=B00Q2GFP4M&pf_rd_p=0192e6ab-5959-4731-9929-242726c28327&hsa_cr_id=3238988960402&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Car Charger RAVPower USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Chargers with 12V 24W 4.8A 2-port for iPhone XS/XR/XS Max, Galaxy S9, and More with iSmart 2.0 Tech – Black