Just picked up an '73 Suzuki TS185

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by VitSports6, Aug 12, 2013.

1. VitSports6

VitSports6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't pass it up, it was only $125.00.
    I checked to see if it had oil in the canister and case, added a little fuel and it fired right up! Smoked like crazy as it had sat for a couple years, but the smoke subsided and it idles well, I need to figure out the lever on the carb as to which way the choke works.
    I have a Clymers manual on order, as it needs fork seals and some routine maint, I noticed chain is a little lose and the chain adjusters at the rear were extended past the furthest mark.
    The PO removed all the lights and I haven't looked close enough at the title to see how they registered it last, So I don't know if I will be adding ligs or not.
    I will get some pics up a little later, she ain't pretty, but it's a start!
  2. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    lever down is choke on. if the carb has been swapped to some other carb with a rod choke, pulled up is choke on.
  3. VitSports6

Oddometer:
    Great thans! It has the lever.
  4. VitSports6

Oddometer:
    Here she is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up shortening the chain by one full link, it brought the rear wheel forward back to the largest mark on the swing arm with a little over 1" play.

Stay classy :lol3

[​IMG]

That's gotta go!

Family photo.

[​IMG]
  5. volkrt

volkrt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice buy.....great trail bike and super reliable..and you can still get a decent amount of parts for it too
  6. Spikester300

Spikester300 Roll Tide!

Oddometer:
    That brings back memories, looks just like mine I had back in the day, stripped down for trails with knobbies. Wish I could find one just like it, nice find.
  7. VitSports6

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I'm curious, is there a specific 2 stroke oil I should use, or can I just use outboard 2 stroke oil?
  8. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should use a two stroke oil designed for air cooled motors, not water cooled like an outboard. The air cooled oils are designed for higher temperatures.
  9. VitSports6

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    Makes sense, the search continues.
    Thank you.
  10. VitSports6

Oddometer:
    I replaced the fork seals tonight, kind of a PITA without the manual, which was suppose to be here...
    Anyhow, my biggest issue was the threaded portion where the seal is, I knew it had to come apart but I wasn't quite sure where, but a diagram of the forks helped out.
    Too bad I put my new registration sticker on the upper portion of the fork, I kind of scratched it up when I pulled the fork out.
    At least it's not leaking or clunking anymore, I got mixed reviews on the amount of oil to use, I think I may need to add another 45cc or so as I added only 150cc.