1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Play'n With Our Wee's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freerydejunky, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I’ll start out by saying “Hello” to all you internet strangers. I'll be your host and narrator for the trip, you can call me "The Hack". I'm a bald, 28 year old goober who likes motorcycles, a lot. My friend "Goober" will be accompanying me on this trip, he too is a mid 20's grizzled hooligan. This journey will be a 30+ day, 12,000 mile ride report of monumental proportions. We'll be atop our trusty and glorious roadway machines, a pair of 1st gen Suzuki DL650's.

I bet you just said out loud "Great, two dudes on Wee's, this is going to be boring". Well, you'd be wrong, these here finely tuned Wee's are KTM stompers, GS embarassers and Ducaca punishers. These here bikes are fuck'n Race Wee's!

If you clicked on either of my ride reports of the past (you should), you probably now know what is in store (shenanigans), if not, here’s a brief overview of what will come:
    I like to go fast, eat lots of food, ride 14 hours a day and drink cold beer, so does my friend.​

Did I say we like to go fast? We also hate freeway and interstates, only backroads for us!

The rough plan is to head south from the San Francisco Bay Area, into Arizona, maybe New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and back home. A big ol' honk'n counterclockwise loop of the best roads in the western half of 'Murica.

So go grab a beer, take off yer pasties and spread'um! We're goin in Dad!

The trip begins 7.16.2018
    Updates will be posted regularly

[​IMG]
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go on then ...
  4. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    The Prologue

As per usual, even before the trip officially starts, we have failure!
    Yahtzee Bingo!! Subframe breakage!!!

While at work today, one of my co-workers said "Your topcase is really bouncing around, it doesn't look good"
    Got home, ripped off the seat, took the junk out from under the trunk and whammy, sheered off on both sides!

It could have been from all the jumps loaded down with gear a few weeks back... :jack
    I do good work.

Time to rip apart the Race Wee and take'r over to my buddies for some sweet sweet gussets! So I can hit booters and break it again :clap

[​IMG]
  5. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Upon closer inspection:
    I do high quality destructive work!

We sleeved it, welded it, probably better than new!

[​IMG]
    Railrocker likes this.
  6. 1962siia

1962siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woot! Lookin' forward to this report. Go get'em!
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  8. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Cal Scott

Cal Scott n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the write up.
  10. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great reports. I'm in.
  11. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Day 1: Fuck - Tuesday 7/17/2018

The day began with a glorious wakeup at 7:30am in the comfort of my own bed. Goober had slept in the backyard last night to test some new camping gear, but he too slept great! I had a wonderful steamy shower, put on fresh chonies and we loaded the Danger Ranger (our 1998 Ford Ranger) full of used tires and headed towards the recyclers. It's important to leave a clean chop shop when embarking upon a trip.

We dropped off the tires, grabbed breakfast with our buddy (who only slept 2 hours the night before) and then headed home to do final trip packing and bolt checks.

Finally got everything squared away, loaded up and suited up. Phew, about damn time! We said our goodbyes and romped onto the freeway to get lunch in Santa Cruz with some other friends before leaving the area.

About 20 miles south on 880, while riding side by side, I heard a really odd noise coming from Goobers bike. Almost like his plastic fender was rubbing on the tire. I sped up a bit to start moving over across the freeway to asses the situation when Goober shouted “I'm losing power!?”

“SHUT IT OFF!” I screamed…

He got it shut off as I blocked traffic at 70mph while he darted across 5 lanes of freeway traffic towards the shoulder.

Welp.

After we got pulled over, the bike was covered in oil. The damn oil drain plug worked its way loose and rattled out at some point down the freeway. We hoped to small messican baby jesus that he got the engine shut off in time… I placed a call to my brother, who had the day off, and he was soon on the way with the Danger Ranger, our trusty bike recovery vehicle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pulled out my chair, Goober sat in the dirt and we contemplated the meaning of life. Fuck.

[​IMG]

All of the sudden a CHP officer rolled up on his Hardly. I wandered over, as I didn't want Goober in his building rage to talk to the officer, and we chatted for a short minute. I told him the truck was on the way, when all of the sudden I noticed Goober was walking over. The officer and I could both feel the approaching rage… The younger CHP officer looked at me “ok, sorry to hear that I'm gonna go now!” and scampered off to his bike. Hahaha

[​IMG]

We finally got the bike home, put it on the lift, filled it with oil and tried to give'r a crank. Nothing. Tried to turn the engine over by hand. Uhhhhh, yeah, no. Spinning it counter clockwise backed the crank bolt out! Yeah…..

Shits Fucked.

R.I.P. Wee!

So then off to the internet we went. Called friends, friends of friends, adv forum, craigslist, facebook market place, etc. After a few hours we found an engine in Auburn with 5k miles for 750 bucks, one locally for $700 with 30k miles, and then a few fine folks came together (SFcoots & Dmitriy) and came through with the connection for a brand new engine down in Escondido, we cannot thank DSM8 enough! A wonderful 480 mile, pretty much brand new SV650 engine! Time to make a faster fuck’n Race Wee!

Goober called up our friend that we had breakfast with to see if he wanted to drive 16 hours straight to go pick up that new engine, a meager 900 mile round trip. Seeing how our friend is unemployed and super down for random road trips of doom, he happily agreed and off they went! In his super hooptie race car Honda Accord thing with a Stage 1 clutch kit. Brappppppp. But on the way to my house he almost crashed, as he was still running on only 2 hours of sleep... So he hopped in the passenger seat and blacked out, leaving Goober to drive through most of the night. Have fun on I-5 fuckers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This left Mr. Noodle (my brother) and myself to rip out the seized Wee engine. Chop Shop went max efficiency mode. Tools were thrown about, things were banged upon, knuckles were skinned and the breaker bar was used a lot. But by golly we got that useless, lifeless, crunchy paperweight out in record time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now, here I sit... Still contemplating the meaning of life while awaiting the return of the Race Accord full of new engine goodness, and my best buds.

PROTIP: You can't ride all day if your bike runs out of oil.

Daily Mileage: 43 miles round trip for me

Goober Mileage: 1,000 miles, 14.5 hours in Race Accord.

12. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I feel like my :fpalm was prophetic.

Your brother. Flintstone wee?!? :rofl
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In again......lookin forward to the fun!!
  14. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Glad we got you sorted, better post a shitload of pics for that motor going in.
    Some stats on it.
    Came out of an 08 SV650
    480 miles on the engine when pulled
    I was there in person hearing it run before it was pulled.

Make sure you took care in the removal of the old motor you will need to swap over the EFI but you might also have to swap over the water temp and couple other sensors. I gave him the motor with everything I had to go with it bolted into place.

Since day 1 it was stored in the shop upright after having fogged the cylinders with oil for longer term storage, it was never once out in the elements.

Per research you should have an increase in HP but a small drop in torque vs. the Stom motor. It will also rev up faster as the reciprocating assembly is lighter.

Other than that far as I know it should drop in and fire up.
    If it blows up the motor is free, and lose my number.
    If it makes it through the trip then we can discuss what you think it is worth to pay me for it.
    :lol3

BTW I will take the connecting rods, cams, timing chain, transmission gears and shafts from the old motor if you decide to take that thing apart. Pretty much anything in it that is steel and has teeth will work. Don't ask, it will keep you awake at night if you knew.
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now THIS could become an interesting RR. :lurk Nothing like starting out with some mayhem at the beginning....:deal :photog
  16. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the wood chisel and claw hammer in the teardown pic...
    deserttowers likes this.
  17. greenmtndave

greenmtndave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! This is gonna' be good.
  18. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    If they can get out of the garage.:lol2
  19. Sfcootz

Oddometer: