1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Play'n With Our Wee's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freerydejunky, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Days 2-3: Some Tweak’n and Wranch’n - Wednesday/Thursday 7/19-7/19

Boy howdy!

So Goober and our buddy made the drive to Escondido and back in a record time, somewhere around 14 hours. I expected them back around 9am on Wednesday morning, so I set my alarm at 7am so I could prepare for their arrival.

At 7:15 am Mr.MoDelo (our Accord and saviour, he loves Delo 400 and Modelo) sent me a GPS location pin drop less than 20 miles away from my place. Holy crap! They have been hauling ass!

The turn’n’burn squad rolled up at 7:40am with the engine in hand. The two of them looked as if they had been running from the reaper for 14 hours. Goober was tweak’n off three 24oz Monster and a 5 Hour Energy and Mr.MoDelo was not his chipper self. I told Goober to go crash out on my bed for a few hours, and sent Mr.MoDelo home in his race car. They did excellent work! Bravo team!

With Goober knocked out, I had some actual work to catch up on, a fancy lunch meeting for potential future work, besides I couldn't hoist the motor in by myself… Most of the day was a waste.

The Goobs woke up around 2pm, we got the man bear pig beast fed and put him back to bed. He slept till 6pm, where we then slammed dinner and began motor installation! The entire process of engine in, wires routed and exhaust installed took us until midnight or so. Not too shabby seeing as we started at around 8pm! We were tweak’n pretty hard around the midnight hour while struggling with the exhaust… So we called it a night and crashed out.

[​IMG]

Thursday:

This morning we had planned on getting up around 7am to continue buttoning it all up, but last night really wrect both of us. We both awoke at 9am, still pretty damn tired. It turns out that today is my birthday (the last few days have blended together into a mushlike substance), so we went out to breakfast.

We really got a late start 11am or so… But the bulk of the work was done, just leaving the final touches like torquing down the motor mount bolts, radiator fill, oil fill, etc etc, you know, making sure all the wires don’t melt.

[​IMG]

We warmed the Wee up, let idle and get up to operating temp to seat them virgin rings, burped coolant and checked for leaks. It only smoked a bit, thanks for fogging those cylinders DSM8!!

While slapping parts back on the Wee, we noticed that the clutch cable on Goobers bike was on its last leg… 4-5 strands holding the hole thing together. Fuckkk!!!! So we got to calling around all the local shops. No one had one… Morale dropped to a new low. The bike was running, but the clutch cable was falling apart in our hands. After calling around for the better part of an hour, we asked Mr.Burns if we could strip his Wees precious clutch cable and replace it with an OEM one. He begrudgingly agreed, and we then tore into his hooptie Wee. Thanks little brother! You saved the day, once again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys mentioned the wood chisel and hammer, well we use them wood chisels and hammers to get the lock washer off on the countershaft nut. Works like a charm, I have a bunch of wood chisels I picked up at a flea market some years back just for this purpose.

[​IMG]

Around 1pm Mr.MoDelo came by with another one of our buddies to grab my '96 Ultra Classic Electra Glide, that's boosted (15psi at full boost, hnnnnng)... He's gonna sell it for me while I'm on the road this next month. I sold one of his bikes while he was down in Baja a few months back. Having great friends makes life so much more enjoyable.

[​IMG]

Almost done!

Around 2:30pm the Wee was all buttoned up and cooled back down, it was ready for a test drive! Took it out to my local hoon roads for a good hard break-in. I rode behind The Goobs for a good bit, making sure that nothing horrible happened. All looked good, hell, even the oil covered tire was gripping like stink on shit! Maybe because I cleaned the fuck out of it with WD40 and then rubbing alcohol. Man, I do great work.

At the halfway point, about thirty minutes in, we decided to celebrate with victory milkshakes and curly fries! Wee da best! DSM8 da best! Woooo!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m a firm believer in the “hard break-in” method. Break it in like you’re gonna ride it. So on the way home we really gave’r the beans! Zero oil consumption, no smoke, just a real nice’n’tight engine. Morale is through the roof right now!

[​IMG]

We learned on our short little hoon that when I ride rather quickly... I scrape them Happy Trails bags. Hard... Nothing a bit of preload and more damps can't fix! We could drill them to raise them half an inch, but I doubt that would solve anything. I'll just have to steel putty and tape the holes I grind every day. A Deeee Veeee!!!

Got home with zero issues, dumped the precious Delo 400, filled it up with some 15w50 Mobil 1 and a new OEM filter. I’ve never seen engine oil so clean after running, that Delo really cleaned the crap out of the engine.

[​IMG]

Goober is out in the garage right now tweak’n away and doing a final once over of the bike, tucking some wiring, doin Goober things. We thought it would be best to safety wire the shit out of the oil drain plug. I walked back into the garage to see this:

[​IMG]

You see, Goober was an ironworker for a bit, so he put those skills to good use. Don’t think that drain plug is moving any time soon! Hahaha! Not to motorcycle industry standard spec, but it’ll do!

[​IMG]

So this brings us to tomorrow. We’ll wake up when ever we wake up, lay out all the tools needed to tear apart the Wee on the side of the road, and get to packing once again. Our goal is to be out and on the road by noon or 1pm and headed south.

Total time getting the engine out, in and running: Somewhere around 9 hours total. Not too shabby, seeing how we struggled with getting the exhaust lined up for probably an hour.

Tweak tweak!

PROTIP of the day: A freshly oiled tire, even after cleaned, is still slippery.
    Daily Mileage: 40 mile test ride!

2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Pro tip #2
    Dont lose the drain plug in the first place and you would have been three days into your trip already

:fpalm

:hide
    Sfcootz likes this.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allright the show is on!! :ricky :clap Nice work on slapping that Wee together btw!:wink:
  4. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    In for the show.

Get after it!!!
  5. 1962siia

1962siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woot!
  6. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I think they must have already reached terminal velocity and exited the galaxy.

What will the aliens think of this crew?
  7. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Well...

I bring horrible news. On Saturday evening while riding to Kernville I had a little boo-boo. Ended up breaking and dislocating my collar bone.

My brother and Mr. MoDelo drove down on sunday and picked me up along with my Wee. Currently on the couch at home awaiting a time and date for surgery through the VA.

Goober is still out riding. But sadly this is more or less the end of this ride report. I'll post a proper day's edit leading up to the accident after surgery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh no!! Say it ain’t so.. :eek7 Sorry to hear about this and I wish you a speedy recovery!
  9. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuuuuuckkk! Damn sorry to read that. Heal quick man.
  10. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I demand an update screw this one post a week shit with a start like that I expected more than radio silence, at least from the non broken partner in crime.
    Heal quick
  11. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to think there's bad ju-ju around Kernville. Heal up quick!
  12. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the news.......Heal up quick!!
  13. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  14. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damnit nanner. Heal up fast.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    We've been robbed.

Heal fast and well, young man.
  16. DirtyDieselGoober

DirtyDieselGoober Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *microphone cackling* Hello Everyone, this is your WeeVenture CoPilot Goober here to take over this ride report.

As I sit here in the luxurious (sarcasm) EconoLodge in Fallon, Nevada because its 95* outside and the "campground" outside town I had planned on staying at left something to be desired, Ill update what the adventure thus far. I have been taking notes, videos, and pictures along the way.
    ChadADV and Trip Hammer like this.
  17. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    So after a 3 day delay while we did a missing oil drain plug inspired sv engine swap into my wee on the morning of day 4 we finally departed.

Our journey began in Castro Valley, we headed south and jumped off on the southwest side of San Jose and did some ziggin and zaggin, rode bear creek road where we stopped for lunch in Scott's valley. We had some bbq tri-tip sammies and they were delicious.
    [​IMG]

After lunch we fueled up and headed to route 1, which we rode down to nacimiento furgesson through fort Hunter leggit. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road was a twisty knarly dirty nasty magical rollercoaster of asphault and I'd absolutely recommend riding it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going through Hunter Leggit Army base was pretty cool for me as my father was an Army Tanker in the early 80s. Had to get a picture in front of the display tank on our way out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Riding through Hunter Leggit seemed more like an African Safari or a trip through the middle east than it did a ride through california.... makes sense the army uses that place as training grounds.

FreeRyde and I deemed it necessary to stop for an Ice Cream and a gatorade for sustenance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued further south and after a short hop on 101 we went to Firestone in San Luis Obispo for dinner.
    [​IMG]

After dinner we continued on to our intended camp spot, after deciding the first camp was a no-go we pushed on to the next campsite, not surprisingly FreeRyde's gps tried to take us on a hiking trail to our intended campsite at Hi Mountain campground. We reassessed the map and found an actual road to get to the campground. The "road" to get to this glorious spot started as a regular paved road but quickly gave way to gravel and sand with big ruts, trenches and waterbars. The knarly ass dirt road up high mountain road to the camp was a blast and we rolled up just as the Sunset was getting low. Just barely needed our lights as we setup our camp. We were woken up by tweakers throwing cans in the fire for funzies.
    [​IMG]

300 miles on the day ending @ Hi Mountain Campground
    Project Mayhem and Trip Hammer like this.
  18. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 5 started with the sound of explosions as the tweaker dipshiits at a site nearby tossed cans in the fire.

We started our day with a small bodyweight workout as we packed up our camp. We then departed camp and headed further up the mountain as it was the way FreeRyde's Gps assured us was the way we wanted to go.

Not surprisingly we reached road closed signs at the top of the mountain. Although the entertainment value of watching FreeRyde launch his wee over the waterbars was well worth it, as well as the view at the top of Hi Mountain Road. Plus funny faces. Plus his "uhhhhh ohhhhhhh" as he crested the hilltop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After reprogramming the gps we headed back down the way we came and made our way back into Santa Margarita for breakfast at The Porch Cafe, where we stumbled across another glorious rolling testament to ingenuity that would only be seen on a Wee or a KLR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, those are ball cap brims hose clamped onto fog lights as cutoffs. YES!

Around 1100 we stumbled into breakfast, freeryde joked with me as we went along as I have a tendency to get hangry when our "we will be at breakfast in 30 min" turns into a 4 hr ride before food. Luckily i've learned that this is inevitable when riding with freeryde so I packed snacks, a Cliff bar when we woke up eliminated that issue.

After breakfast we rolled across the street and filled up before taking a route that was suggested by a gentleman that FreeRyde made friends while i was poo'in. This gentlemans wife was smart enough to bolt into the shitter as she heard me say "ohhhh something bads gunna happen, ive got the bubble guts"

We took 58 to soda lake road(death pass through grow ops and salt flats)where it was hot as balls. Went from pavement to sand/gravel, we hopped off 58 to do a short stretch of 229 that FreeRyde referred to as Rossi's Driveway(lots of twisty ad rises and good wheelie jumps and bumps) 5/6 miles in we turned around and got back on 58 and then hopped on 166 and headed down to 33 to Ventura. Got some cool pictures by the salt flats and threw my wee in the sand, some of that shiite got deep. woopsies. Yay adventures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We took 33 to 101 and hopped on 1 and headed down into Malibu.

Rode the oh so popular 14 corners of Mulholland Dr(not overly impressived), made a harley bro feel bad as we Wee'd on him, carried on and were greeted at the top by a bmw doing a nice smoky burnout. We carried on and headed for the hills. FreeRyde can chime in with our route for the hills as he was leading.
    Wee break with a view of MAlibu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course we had to have our obligatory stop at Neptunes Net for lunch before heading back up into the hills for some more hooning, it was pretty good but super packed, not sure id go again.
    [​IMG]

Stopping at walmart it is astonishing how many attractive women were in walmart, yes, i said it, IN WALMART.
    Mandatory sunset picture as we looked at the gps deciding just how ridiculous it would be to actually ride all the way to Kernville
    [​IMG]

After stocking up on babywipes, water, and cliff bars with an extra quart of oil and a tube of fix-a-flat we headed to what was to be our next campsite. As we headed north we began to joke about just cannonballing it up to Kernville and making what would be a 500 mile day. The sun setting and dark setting in as we headed for our intended camp spot made for a fun ride through some twisty canyon roads. We turned off the pavement and onto the gravel, I see the sign as we pull off has a sticker on it.
    "Hey sould we see what that sticker said?" "nahhhh f%&k it" we decide, as we head up the sandy gravel mountain road in the dark. When we reach the top and come to a closed gate and FreeRyde lets out his oh so familiar "uhhhh ohhhhhhh". Turns out that sticker said the campground was closed. We said to hell with it and went back down the mountain. IT was as this point we decided that we would continue on to Bakersfield and see how we felt when we got there.
    [​IMG]

As we crested the grapevine and dropped into Bakersfield we were hit in the face with a 20* temperature increase we quickly decided that we wouldnt be stopping in Bakersfield as it felt like an oven. ONWARDS TO KERNVILLE!!!

We headed for Bodfish Caliente road and headed up the mountain to the impending disaster we had no idea was coming.

20 minutes and 12 miles from our destination and disaster strikes. Ill let FreeRyde step in here with his update, I will then take over with my solo endeavors after his update. For now its bedtime.. Goodnight all.

535 Miles on teh day ending @Bakersfield
  19. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job carrying on the mission.
  20. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Alive and well and currently headed for camp in the forest south of the Grand canyon. I've got lots of notes saved from the trip so far. I think today is day 7 rolling solo? Not sure

I know this sirloin and beer at the steakhouse just outside the grand canyon is hitting the spot.

Going to try to go into town tomorrow and sit at a cafe and download/upload a bunch of pictures, notes and vidjas
    Trip Hammer likes this.