Days 2-3: Some Tweak’n and Wranch’n - Wednesday/Thursday 7/19-7/19 Boy howdy! So Goober and our buddy made the drive to Escondido and back in a record time, somewhere around 14 hours. I expected them back around 9am on Wednesday morning, so I set my alarm at 7am so I could prepare for their arrival. At 7:15 am Mr.MoDelo (our Accord and saviour, he loves Delo 400 and Modelo) sent me a GPS location pin drop less than 20 miles away from my place. Holy crap! They have been hauling ass! The turn’n’burn squad rolled up at 7:40am with the engine in hand. The two of them looked as if they had been running from the reaper for 14 hours. Goober was tweak’n off three 24oz Monster and a 5 Hour Energy and Mr.MoDelo was not his chipper self. I told Goober to go crash out on my bed for a few hours, and sent Mr.MoDelo home in his race car. They did excellent work! Bravo team! With Goober knocked out, I had some actual work to catch up on, a fancy lunch meeting for potential future work, besides I couldn't hoist the motor in by myself… Most of the day was a waste. The Goobs woke up around 2pm, we got the man bear pig beast fed and put him back to bed. He slept till 6pm, where we then slammed dinner and began motor installation! The entire process of engine in, wires routed and exhaust installed took us until midnight or so. Not too shabby seeing as we started at around 8pm! We were tweak’n pretty hard around the midnight hour while struggling with the exhaust… So we called it a night and crashed out. Thursday: This morning we had planned on getting up around 7am to continue buttoning it all up, but last night really wrect both of us. We both awoke at 9am, still pretty damn tired. It turns out that today is my birthday (the last few days have blended together into a mushlike substance), so we went out to breakfast. We really got a late start 11am or so… But the bulk of the work was done, just leaving the final touches like torquing down the motor mount bolts, radiator fill, oil fill, etc etc, you know, making sure all the wires don’t melt. We warmed the Wee up, let idle and get up to operating temp to seat them virgin rings, burped coolant and checked for leaks. It only smoked a bit, thanks for fogging those cylinders DSM8!! While slapping parts back on the Wee, we noticed that the clutch cable on Goobers bike was on its last leg… 4-5 strands holding the hole thing together. Fuckkk!!!! So we got to calling around all the local shops. No one had one… Morale dropped to a new low. The bike was running, but the clutch cable was falling apart in our hands. After calling around for the better part of an hour, we asked Mr.Burns if we could strip his Wees precious clutch cable and replace it with an OEM one. He begrudgingly agreed, and we then tore into his hooptie Wee. Thanks little brother! You saved the day, once again! You guys mentioned the wood chisel and hammer, well we use them wood chisels and hammers to get the lock washer off on the countershaft nut. Works like a charm, I have a bunch of wood chisels I picked up at a flea market some years back just for this purpose. Around 1pm Mr.MoDelo came by with another one of our buddies to grab my '96 Ultra Classic Electra Glide, that's boosted (15psi at full boost, hnnnnng)... He's gonna sell it for me while I'm on the road this next month. I sold one of his bikes while he was down in Baja a few months back. Having great friends makes life so much more enjoyable. Almost done! Around 2:30pm the Wee was all buttoned up and cooled back down, it was ready for a test drive! Took it out to my local hoon roads for a good hard break-in. I rode behind The Goobs for a good bit, making sure that nothing horrible happened. All looked good, hell, even the oil covered tire was gripping like stink on shit! Maybe because I cleaned the fuck out of it with WD40 and then rubbing alcohol. Man, I do great work. At the halfway point, about thirty minutes in, we decided to celebrate with victory milkshakes and curly fries! Wee da best! DSM8 da best! Woooo!! I’m a firm believer in the “hard break-in” method. Break it in like you’re gonna ride it. So on the way home we really gave’r the beans! Zero oil consumption, no smoke, just a real nice’n’tight engine. Morale is through the roof right now! We learned on our short little hoon that when I ride rather quickly... I scrape them Happy Trails bags. Hard... Nothing a bit of preload and more damps can't fix! We could drill them to raise them half an inch, but I doubt that would solve anything. I'll just have to steel putty and tape the holes I grind every day. A Deeee Veeee!!! Got home with zero issues, dumped the precious Delo 400, filled it up with some 15w50 Mobil 1 and a new OEM filter. I’ve never seen engine oil so clean after running, that Delo really cleaned the crap out of the engine. Goober is out in the garage right now tweak’n away and doing a final once over of the bike, tucking some wiring, doin Goober things. We thought it would be best to safety wire the shit out of the oil drain plug. I walked back into the garage to see this: You see, Goober was an ironworker for a bit, so he put those skills to good use. Don’t think that drain plug is moving any time soon! Hahaha! Not to motorcycle industry standard spec, but it’ll do! So this brings us to tomorrow. We’ll wake up when ever we wake up, lay out all the tools needed to tear apart the Wee on the side of the road, and get to packing once again. Our goal is to be out and on the road by noon or 1pm and headed south. Total time getting the engine out, in and running: Somewhere around 9 hours total. Not too shabby, seeing how we struggled with getting the exhaust lined up for probably an hour. Tweak tweak! PROTIP of the day: A freshly oiled tire, even after cleaned, is still slippery. Daily Mileage: 40 mile test ride!