1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Play'n With Our Wee's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freerydejunky, Jul 14, 2018.

1. DirtyDieselGoober

DirtyDieselGoober Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 13
    I wake up around 0815 and lay in bed for a bit. I hear a golf cart and head out to meet the camp host who was doing his rounds. Him and I have a nice conversation about the area, my ride and the local wildlife. The serenading from the night before was coyotes and wolves... A lot of them. There is apparently a wolf den about 100yds from where I camped and theres about 40 of them rolling around. The forest service and local fish and game Wardens are quite adamant about protecting them. Either way, it was cool to hear them all hootin and hollering with the elk bugling in the background. F*** your whale ocean sounds cd.

$15 for the night here and well worth it. From here I'll hit the road, find the nearest gas stop then do the devil's hwy loop.
    The camp host informed me the camp site at 9300ft elevation. Schweet!
    Apparently the forest service is keeping the exact location of the den a secret because there is a big problem with people stealing wolf pups for pets. Boom.

I head back out of camp to 273 and run it to 261 north. Real real little stretch of road that takes you back to 260 East through springerville towards alpine. Stopped for fuel in alpine and hopped on 189 S headed into new Mexico. The rain starts to pick up right as the road starts to get twisty, good thing I'm on fresh rubber(and not a q3).I'm not full pace ripping but probably 6-7/10ths. There is a real nice tight technical stretch that is COVERED in tar snakes. Which made traction in the rain sporadic at best.... so naturally I had a blast.

I ride 189 down into Alma and stop at the Alma grill for breakfast(at 2pm) based on the recommendation from the Winn camground host. Food was good, not spectacular, if its on your route Id say go for it, but not good enough to make a detour to go there.

78 W is a real good stretch. Its long 35/40mph sweepers in the new Mexico side which you can safely double and tightens up AS SOON as you cross back into Arizona. Drops to 15-25mph corners that you cannot hit at double safely haha

It started raining as I rolled up to 3 ways and headed towards the Morenci Mine. The rain stopped as I rolled through town, got to take some cool pictures.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The rain picked up again as I rolled into the Morenci Mine where I got to see a whole bunch of awesome stuff.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Just north of the Morenci Mine it turns into forest and twisty twisty twisty goodness. The road is phenomenal, it was a little wet from the passing storm so I couldn't full Hoon pace it but I come around a corner and it was dry!! I was just ahead of the storm and it was time to let her rip! This was of course right after I came into a wet corner that the rain had washed a nice trail of gravel across.... came into that one pretty hot, ooops. So I naturally was curious and headed up the trail haha

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Good thing I went for the trailmasters instead of the q3s

Back on the clean, dry road, TIME TO GIVER HELLLL. I wick it up and SMASSSHHHH Devils Hwy, here is where I realize my gopro has had an SD card issue and didn't record any of it. I realize this as I hit a straightaway and check for the flashing red light, which isnt flashing. Fuuuuuck me. Alright so I swap the SD card over and start to record. Get a good stretch recorded and decide...I haven't gone that far and who knows when I'll be back. I'm gunna go back to the start and ride it again. Turn around, unplug my GoPro and put it on the charger as I head back. I go back to the bottom and try again.... on my way down I begin to rage because it's now raining and I'm PISSED. GoPro then isn't taking a charge and I'm raging even harder. I stop, switch charging ports and try to get the GoPro to charge.

Finally getting the GoPro to charge me with a proper working SD card, after sitting on the side of the road for 25-30 min. I did get some cool pictures..

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

With the gopro slightly charged, I record the first stretch after the mine, roads were wet so I couldn't go full pace but got video nonetheless.

So I turn off the gopro for the straight section, toss it on the charger and head off. I go to hook it back up and it hasn't been charging. I get pissed and toss it back in my bag and rage. I f-ing SMASHED. By this point this road has dried out, the sun is perfect, all is right., well with the world and set up for some excellent Hoonage, except my GoPro. Oh well, guess that one's just for me. I wick it up and let her rip. It was AMAZING. 191 is a glorious road and if you ever have the chance to ride it i highly recommend it.

I will come back to ride this road again.

I hop off 191 at bison crossing (26) and go down that for about 5 miles seeing fields of elk again and again. After seeing nothing of interest I turn around and head back for 191.

It's such a damn good road. So tight, so technical, such good asphalt. It's beyond words.

I stop in alpine for dinner, sit down at a booth at the end under a bunch of military pictures and I recognize one. Well wouldn't you know it, the restaurant is owned by the parents of a kid I served with in Guam. So I give him a call and we have a small world moment. As I'm getting on my bike to leave the waitress yells from the smoke pit behind the restaurant "hey Guam guy, hang on" and comes up introducing my buddies sister to me. We exchange pleasantries, they warn me to be careful of the critters along the road (as critters in the this area are 700-2000lb moving furry road hazards) and wished me the best.

I decide after dinner I'm going to push further east. 100 miles as it would turn out. It is dark as I fueled up in alpine and hop back on 180 and headed for 12. Both of which have some very fun sections but at night the big issue was elk. I had 5 of them cross in front of me as I was coming into Reserve. Had about 15 cross in front of me as I came into Apache Creek and between Old Horse springs and Dital I saw 2 BIG bull elk along the fence line, huge beautiful racks. Luckily I have 17 million lumens of light on my wee and I saw all them. I'm thinking me and my wee vs a full grown bull elk at 75/80mph would not end well.

I make it to the Dital BLM campground and setup camp, turn off my lights and look up and the sky is FULL of stars. Almost seems unreal the amount of stars in the sky. It's absolutely beautiful. Off to bed.

370 Miles ending @ Datil BLM campground ($5 camp fee)
    wee-twin likes this.
  2. ChadADV

ChadADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Images in the last two updates aren't showing up for me. Not sure if it's just me or not?
  3. ADK

ADK *********************

Oddometer:
    nope, not just you.
  4. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Same here. :-(
  5. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day14
    Wake up and do my exercises as I pack up camp, Lube my chain and check tire pressures.

The ride from Datil to Socorro is hot and the ride from 25 to 550 sucks. Once you reach 550 the ride becomes more scenic (desert terrain)

126 out of Cuba is awesome!! Twisty ashpalt road which starts in fields and then through the forest up and down a mountain which without warning turns to gravel then after the fish hatchery turns back to pavement. Beautiful road

[IMG]
    [IMG]

126 coming down into Hidden Valley is reaaallllly good

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

4 east is fucking AWESOME through the Jemez Mountains, things got REALLLLL sketchy though due to a 15mph 180* corner sign that was hidden by brush, luckily I was looking across the gulch and noticed the road there, quickly figuring out the road I was on was about to make a SHARP corner, luckily I burned off enough speed to make it through the corner on full send. I stopped and went back, busted down the brush in front of the sign because an inattentive rider or driver could easily have far too much speed coming into that corner and have a bad bad day

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A short bit later I was continuing to smash and came into a corner good and hard when my front slipped, followed by my rear slipping, front caught, rear caught, then the rear broke loose again, when it caught traction my rear tire was licking the paint on the far edge of the oncoming lane, hollering in my helmet as I leaned her in and gave her all the beans, putting all my faith in my tires knowing with as far as I was from home crashing just wasnt an option, I somehow miraculously made it, slowed my pace for approximately 3 corners then was right back at it.

Coming down from the mountain towards White rock, from the 501 split, is not to be trusted, it is super super super dirty, its a fun twisty road.... but damn.... DURTYYYY GIRL.

I carried on down into Sante Fe and looked at the clock, deciding on what I wanted for dinner, realizing I had made much better time than anticipated and that I had a good bit of light left I decided to go smash a spaghetti twisty road I had spotted on the map earlier but didnt think there would be time to go smash.

As there was a ski resort at the end of the road I had assumed that was what the road was for and where it led, Unfortunately I was mistaken. 475 is a trap. It leads to a national Forest and memorial Park. Also SUPER dirty. It is a great stretch of road that runs through some beautiful landscape but youd better stay in those tire tracks because its diiiiirty. Sand and gravel all over. But I carry on and give her hell anyway, theres a bit of traffic as its a weekend but nothing too terrible.

I come up on the entrance to the park and realize the situation unfolding in front of me. I make it all off 500 feet into the park and end up behind a forest service truck..... welllll 20mph isnt my speed, so I pull over and turn around. I get outside the park and get back on the not federal land twisties andof course end up getting stuck behind a prius doing 5 mph under the posted. Standing up to stretch my legs, we come around a corner into a straightaway and I pass said Prius. Still standing im cruising along through the twisties when I hear a police siren, I see back down and see red and blues behind me..... shiite.

I pull over and the officer comes up, "what the hell are you doing? why are you passing over the double yellow?" He asks. "well sir, this is a really good twisty road, Im on a cross country 45 day trip and that prius was going too slow, so i waited for a safe clear chance to pass and i did". He took my papers and called them in to dispatch then came back and was shooting the shit with me while riding for the all clear from dispatch. Talked about my trip for a bit then after he got the all clear from dispatch he tells me "well enjoy your trip, stop doing dumb shit".

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Forced to behave as he was behind me for the rest of the 7 miles of twisties before dropping back down into Santa fe.... booo

I turn my gpiss back on and head for Pecos as ill be headed up 63 from there to find a place to camp. (theres about 8 campgrounds there so it shouldnt be a problem)
    I get into town and turn to great lord google to tell me where the eats are, but as there is nothing else still open that I can see on my map that looks appetizing, I settle on Dairy Queen for dinner. That peanut butter cookie dough blizzard for desert after my chicken sammich with lemonade, Victory.

After dinner I get on 63 and head north towards Cowles. The road goes through town for a bit then becomes winding sweepers that gradually become tighter and tighter. It's a Great great road, which I'm riding at night.... at a questionable pace. I am watching the GPS as a guide which allows me to smash the nice twisty bits, slowing down as I approach areas with cutoff roads for people's homes.

There's like 8 campgrounds on this 20 mile stretch of road, finding a spot to camp should be cake right? Wrong. As I'm passing campgrounds I'm noticing they are f-ing packed...then I realize it's a Saturday, at the end of summer before kiddies have to go back to school..shit. My search begins. 1st camp, full, 2nd camp, full ....this continues on with fun little stretches of unmarked single lane through the forest between camps., which I went way too fast on in the pitch black haha.
    Coming up on a split there's an oncoming pickup with a horse trailer whos not exactly being generous with the road and Im forced to move allll the way to the edge of the road, where I catch a DEEP giant pothole that about threw me off into the bushes. I go all the way to the end of the first split, camp full, camp full, camp full.
    I backtrack to the split and try the last campground, Jake's Creek. The furthest one from the road. The sign says campground full but I figured I'll ride through just to double check, then check with the camp host. So I'm riding through, first loop, nothing, second loop, nothing. Okay time to stop by the camp hosts spot and ask for recommendations.

Well as I exit the second loop it goes right near the exit, I see a Duramax with it's flashers on in front a closed gate. There is a very large gentleman standing next to the truck.

Me "hey boss how's it going"
    Guy at the gate "what's your emergency?"
    Me "I don't have an emergency, just looking for a spot to camp"
    Gate guy "well I just locked the gate for the night, camps full, you'll need highway patrol to come open it if you want out"
    Me "I'm just looking for a spot to camp, do I go back down to Pecos, fuel up and head east?
    Gate guy "there isn't a camp within 100 miles that won't be full tonight. We've been full since Thursday"
    Me "really? This is the 5th campground I've checked, I've ridden over 400 miles today....I'm just looking for a place to sleep"
    Gate guy *hims and haws and clearly has a mental conversation with himself. "do you need a fire?"
    Me "no sir just a place to setup my tent"
    Gate guy "alright well I'll let you stay, I'm the camp host, we can set you up in the driveway next to the pay spot, follow me"
    Me "thank you very much sir, I really appreciate it"

I follow him up the road and he pulls off next to the information/pay site/ entrance sign

Camp host "sorry about coming on strong like that, we have trouble makers come up here being hooligans and I gotta let em know right off I don't take no shit"
    Me "not a problem man, totally get it. Thank you again for letting me stay"

We then had a quite pleasant conversation about inexperienced campers causing issues with animals, the local wildlife, troublesome drunk teens and the excessive growth of the human.

I setup camp next to the pay booth and here I am, down for the night.

425 Miles on the day ending @ Jake's Creek campground
    wee-twin and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:

waiting for pictures to upload to my photobucket, getting the text knocked out first then ill go back and add in the pictures
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    So how is the motor holding out, you know your being charged by the mile right?
    something like .05c or such....

:hide
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 15
    Shortly after sun up I packed up from my luxurious campsite

and hit the road, on my way back through Pecos headed for Las Vegas, NM where Id end up for breakfast I spotted these gems

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I went from Jakes Creek to Las Vegas, NM where there was a delicious breakfast of biscuits, gravy, eggs and sausage calling my name.... all the yum

From there it was back on the road and taking 518, which kinda sucks until you get past cleveland then is a great and beautiful stretch of road that goes through multiple types of geology. Good road with some knarly twisty sections that goes through fields and forest and desert... its weird. From Penasco I jumped on 76 headed west towards Espanola. Another good road with varying scenery that leads you to Espanola, a city which instantly turned me to defensive mode as I rolled up to the gas station to fill up and there was bars over all the windows... usually not an indication of a good place to be. After stopped for a strawberry shortcake ice cream bar, a mountain dew and fuel I was back on the road.

Made a quick stop at the Echo Amphitheater which is pretty darn cool and got a couple other neat pictures along the way between Espanola and Pagosa Springs.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Stopping in Pagosa Springs was a great idea , I fueled up, checked with lord google for food recommendations and I headed just outside of town to the Pagosa Springs brewery where I had a few of their different award winning in-house brews and a fish and chips dinner. It was fantastic, not the cheapest dinner option, but worth it.

After dinner I checked my route and decided to keep pushing, got a few cool pictures along the way, its crazy the terrain differences just from one side of the street to the other then I stopped at the 162/191 intersection got some pictures at Twin rock

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Ending up pushing all the way to Sand Island Campground right before the 163/191 split, wasnt super stoked with the setup so I hopped back on the bike and pushed on. Destinated Mexican Hat for fuel. I made it, with my fuel light flashing and beginning to get down to the last half gallon haha but I made it. Filled up the tank and headed back to the 261 split.... which looks like it just heads straight into the cliff face, chugging along and then I get to this sign

[IMG]
    [IMG]

it was a fun ride to the top, not nearly as bad as they make it seem with the sign, then opens up to the regular pavement road. Its getting dark by this point and after the second primitive tent camping site that required hiking in I passed I came to the juntion of 95 which I took west and saw the sign for Natural Bridges National Monument.... well if its this far out in the middle of nowhere and is a NAtional Monument it must be pretty cool, Im thinking to myself, plus who knows when ill be back out here. To hell with the light its gettin dark anyway, lets check this out. So I turn off and head in, do the 9 mile loop around the natural bridges monument which isnt overly impressive at night but daaaaamn is that loop road fun, at slightly over the posted. It is however a VERY dirty road, so proceed with caution.

I backtrack and decide to camp at the Natural Brides campground($15) and do the tourist tour in the morning, So here my day ends.

[IMG]

565 Miles on the day ending @ Natural Bridges Campground
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  9. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:

Hahahaha crap, well I wish id have known there before i departed for a 15,000+ mile journey hahah

but the motor is running like a champ, burns zero oil and has had zero issues.
    DSM8 likes this.
  10. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 16
    Woke up bright and early.... like damn early and decide hell why not, lets go do the tour. So I pack my gear into my tent and go to see some cool rocks.

The Natural bridges area is actually really cool, there are trails down to the bottom of each of the 3 main Natural bridges that are there and I hiked 2 out of 3 of them, here are some sweet pictures from there.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

After that I went back to camp, packed up and hit the road. As I was headed to Hanskville I went through some pretty beautiful areas and got some awesome pictures. I attempted to take a an offroad trail to a lake that got pretty nasty pretty quick, got real soft and turned to deep sand and it was too hot to be playing around with that crap. I went back to the road and bombed it into Hanksville and stopped for lunch at Stans Burger Shack and daaaamn that was a delicious lunch.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Before and after Hite are really cool. But then there's a loooooong straight hot dead stretch

With my belly and gas tank both full I got back on the road, I took 24 to 12 and quickly came to the conclusion that Utahs landscape was designed by a drunk 3 year old because its so random and sporadic, I loved it. Capitol Reef National Monument on 24 is certainly an interesting place although theres no water in sight.
    It is crazy, from Mars-esque terrain to canyons, forest and twisty roads along the ridge of mountains back into valleys and desert.... it is strange.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

12 is a glorious, magnificent, amazing stretch of road through goes through all kinds of different terrain, one chunk that runs along the top of the ridge is awesome, it is straight drop off both sides of the ridge road and it was AWESOME, mayyyyy have hit that one a little faster than I should but the blood was pumping and it was inevitable.

[IMG]

I carried 12 West down into Panguitch where I stopped on the outside of town for a beer, fish and chips dinner. After dinner I headed to do the loop through Dixie forest, which is great, but the furry road hazards are NO JOKE. Had 2 fawns jump across the road in front of me coming into a corner just shy of Panguitch Lake, then after Duck Creek lake there was sheep, lots and lots of sheep. Came around a corner and saw two herding dogs in the road and about 200 sheep on the road and on both sides, I stopped, revved and honked until the dogs got the sheep to move and had to stop for a picture. Weird part about the Dixie Forest is all the Birch trees growing out of lava rock.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I had planned on camping in the Dixie forest but for some reason ended up in a shitty funky mood and said f*ck it and cannonballed north with a destination of Grand Junction Colorado at 1900ish.

89 N is gorgeous and runs in a canyon next to a river. Took that all the way up to 70 E, as the sun was setting. I stopped and fueled up then jumped on the freeway and laid the hammer down.

The 75mph speed limit on 70E is pretty great, I was cruising right along, going slightly faster than that, laughing to myself as I see caution signs for deer...elk... bear...wind... and everything else that was going to try to kill me. Well as the sun was almost down and visibility got worse as I was tearing ass down 8-10% grade roads through the mountain at possibly a questionable speed with wind trying to blow me off the road, my speed was forced down as I couldnt just leave the light bar and pods on to keep my line of sight.

I got passed by an suv and a car and quickly realized if I paced off them I could use them as my seeing eye chickens and bear bait(police) so I hopped on their coat tails, turned my right hand back and cranked it. They picked up their pace and then things got real fun as I was pushing the top speed limits of what the wee was capable of fully loaded going through mountains in the wind. Then things got REALLLL fun as I started to get a bit of death wobble in one of the downhills.... as my right hand was already turned all the way back I couldnt accelerate out of it so I had to just keep her pinned and hope for the best. Thankfully it stabilized and I didnt get send tumbling down the freeway at triple digits... that wouldve sucked.

So on we went through the night, ripping through the mountains, hanging on for dear life in the straight flat valley sections as the wind gusted across the freeway and eventually I lost my two seeing eye chickens, just over the border of Colorado.

About 55 miles shy of Grand Junction the ride had become physically painful. That feeling you get when you smash your funnybone? yeah my whole ass felt like that and my knees had begun to through.... I was afterall 640 miles into the day for miles. So there I was, pelvic thrusting against the tank with my legs stretched back hanging behind me because lets be honest.... I was that close to the finish line... I couldnt stop.

Fun fact, the 46 miles west of Grand junction on 70 have no services.... soooo I may have not been gettin the best mileage and when I pulled into the gas station in Fruita, CO the ole girl took 5.9 gallons of fuel.... that was close. Phew

The road up to the Grand Junctional National Monument campground is fucking awesome., I may have allegedly gone slightly faster than the posted. I get to the gate and see the $20 a night price tag, but Don't care. Worth it .
    I finally get into bed at 0100...... I am a sick, sick man.. but damn it was one hell of a day

695 Miles on the day ending at Colorado National Monument Campground
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  11. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 17
    Wake up at 0630
    The road from camp to Grand junction is AMAZING. If you get up and on the road early enough you can beat forest service and the officer. (Saw 4 forest service and a cop in the 24 mile stretch) but it's a Phenomenal road. Super clean, tight and twisty. The downhill section on the east end is purely sexual.
    Watch out for Rams, this guy came trotting up like he was ready to go fisty cuffs, I turned the bike on and revved it a few times and he changed his mind and trotted past with that "yeah bro you better just stay there and not fight me, or ill fight you... bro" attitude then dropped down off the cliff edge.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Stopped for Breakfast in Grand Junction, did a quick oil change and went to walmart for ball powder(gotta prevent them swamp nuts) and some other necessities then got back on the road.
    Hopped back on 50 and jumped off on 141 all the way down into Naturita which has some really cool terrain and I got some cool pictures

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

From there I took 97 north which is a really nice twisty road that is awesome riiiight up until there is a cattle guard midway through a 45mph corner and the road goes to gravel on the other side of it.... needless to say I wasnt doing 45 and that got sketchy REALLLLL effing quick. Didnt crash, didnt die, kept pushing.

well unbeknownst to me 97 becomes 25 Mesa Rd which fun fact.... is allll gravel... not a paved road. Well, pushed on and kept going up to Delta. From there I got on 65 North and headed to the beauuuutiful, wonderful, twisty, ridonkulous stretch of 65 between Cedaredge and Mesa.... ohhhhh daddy its gewddd. I mean just look at it

[IMG]

The chunk of 65 from Mesa back to 70 E is AWESOME, its reAL REAL gewd. From there I hopped back on the freeway and headed east. I stopped in Rifle for some wee parts, chain lube, some bolts for the base of the center stand and some other misc stuff. Knocked out a quick oil change and gave the bike a once over. From there I got back on the road and headed for Meeker, as I was planning on heading for Buford but after a quick google, road image check I noticed that New Castle Buford road was all gravel... so i opted out of that. Stopped for dinner at Ma Famiglia and had some delicious Chicken Parmesian and a couple cold beers, delicious.

After dinner I get back on the road aaaaand may have accidentally overshot my intended road by 35 miles, passed a few fields full of elk, as the sun was setting I saw a sign with town names i remembered being in the wrong direction. So I stopped and looked at the map, then turned around and went all the way back to 2 miles outside Meeker to get on the correct road. Going back along the twisty road with fields full of elk except now I had no visibility of them wooohooo. None of them jumped out and surprised me so it was ok. I got on 132/ 8 and pushed passed Buford and decided at North Fork Camgpround I was going to push passed and go to Lake Vaughn Campground. Which was all fine and dandy as I was tearing along the nice paved road.. then once again SURPRISEEEE heres some gravel for ya. RIGHT after North fork, decided to keep pushing then BAM, gravel.

Idk what the hell kind of gravel colorado uses for their roads but its not normal road gravel because this stuff made me feel like Michael J Fox, this is Parkinsons gravel. The shake was real, but forward and onward I pushed, through the night on the gravel at about 30/35, couldnt push much more than that comfortably. Temp dropped, road stayed gravel and I just kept getting more and more angry. Sporadically turning my gps on to see how much further I had to go, counting down the miles. Needless to say I was quite relieved when I made it to the campground, setup my tent and was able to go to sleep.

435 miles on the day, ending @ Vaughn Lake Campground
  12. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 18
    I woke up, got a nice view of a beautiful lake tucked back in the mountains, did a quick workout as I packed up then got back on the "road" where I got to enjoy another 30 miles of gravel as I headed into Yampa, the gravel faded to dirt, the pace picked up, then it went to real real rough pavement and dirt, then about 3 miles shy of Yampa it went back to pavement. Yampa was quite an interesting town because most of the roads in the town are all gravel and dirt... it was weird.

Got on 131 and rode that down to 70, that was a nice stretch of road, good fun twisty road, beautiful scenery and I got a couple nice pictures along the way

[IMG]
    [IMG]

On 70 E I was cruising along, grippin and ripping, got in a good groove with a couple of cars at an excellent pace, was a good time. I got of 70E and stopped off in Avon for fuel then head to Beaver Creek for food, headed to the Dusty Boot Saloon because it claimed to be an affordable bbq place. Well after going through the "entrance gate" to the village, with all the flags, and fancy decor, and being passed by 3 cars worth over a quarter million dollars each, I quickly got the impression that I was in a place where I wouldnt be welcome in my dirty stich and camping gear. As I rolled up to the address for Saloon it ended up being the entrance to a realll fancy hotel where the Valet came out and asked me if I was lost. Got a good chuckle out of that then told him where I was tryin to go, he told me it was actually inside one of the hotels and you had to park then walk there, well as I wasnt keen on leaving my stuff unattended (although there im sure it would have been fine) I decided to head out. It is a CRAZY little village that just oozes "ive got a dickload of money" attitude.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

From there I got back on 70E and I SMAAAASSSSSHED, it was a beautiful downhill stretch where traffic was moving very well, and I was moving faster. I kept giving her hell, ending up passing Colorado Highway Patrol at a hair over 90 in a 60 coming out of a construction zone passing a truck. I gave him the goober wave and saw him just hang and shake his head. Phew that was a close one, that would have been expensive.

I got off in Georgetown and did some weird zigging and zagging through town, but once I got onto Guanella Pass road and it instantly started doing switchbacks up the mountain it was GREAT. The road is so so gewd. The stretch from Georgetown up to Sugarloaf peak is GLORIOUS.

At this point I passed a bunch of gmc and chevy pickup trucks covered in the "stealth testing mode" wraps, so they must have been testing the 2019/2020 trucks... they werent going slow... but they werent going fast enough, so they all got passed and I continued to rip and smash along the pass. It is a WONDERFUL stretch of road, the downhill is long clean sweepers, then once you get down of the mountain the road runs along side a stream and gets tight and twisty and its technical and wonderful.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Georgetown to grant is great and Guanella pass is amazing, its worth saying again. From here I headed east and rode 285 to Pine Valley road, which took me down to Buffalo Creek where it becomes Decker Rd (126) another very fun road. From Deckers I Hopped on 67 North until it dropped onto N Platte River rd as I was headed to the Osprey campground. I was planning on meeting up with a USAF vet friend. The campground was just a dirt parking lot and I was not going to leave my bike and stuff there when we went to dinner. So I overshot it and ended up going all the way up to the 96/97 junction, its a GLORIOUS stretch of road that runs along the river and its beautiful. Nasty, dirty, knarly wonderful goaty effed up road that I SMAAAASHED.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Well after not finding a place to camp I said screw it and turned around and went back, Well I had planned on just jumping on 67 which was closed due to a bridge being repaired, so that was a no-go, ended up taking Pine Creek Road which is gravel and the locals are NOT good about sharing, they were super bad about being on the wrong side of the lane coming around blind corners, got about run off the road like 6 times before making it back to pavement on 67 headed north. I carried on up to Littleton to meet up with my friend and we went to dinner in Denver where I had a delicious dinner of Glazed Whiskey Bacon Salmon and a tall cold beer. It was a good time, so after dinner we hung out for a bit then I headed to find a place to camp.

WELL apparently I picked the worst night of the year to try and find a place to camp because in the next 3 hrs and 130 miles i checked 3 campgrounds, then called 5 hotels and NO ONE had any vacancies. I finally ended up back where I started down off 67 off Rampart Range road and got one of 3 open spots at Flat Rocks campground.

at 0300 I finally got to the end of my day and was able to go to sleep

425 miles on the day @ Flat Rocks Campground
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha, great fun to poke the fire :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  14. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 19
    I wake up to the camp host walking halfway into my site and yelling "please pay when you wake up before you leave sir"
    To which I of course responded with a Yes Maam and got a thank you as she left (I was camped right across the road from the camp host)

I packed up and headed back into town around 1000-1030

After riding the miles of gravel back out to the main road my day started with a nice rip up 67 and a good footpeg scrapeage on a nice hard leaned 10mph corner...which was not taken at 10mph. I then come around to see a bunch of Harley bros on the other side shoulder. One of their guys had dumped it in the next corner down. I slowed down and asked if he was okay, they said yes, thanked me and I was back to ripping. Up to Sedalia for a calzone and a beer for breakfast

From there I decided I'd head north of Denver and go hit what looked like on the map to be to a good day of twisty ripping riding.... Boy was I wrong.

Today was, bar none, the most infuriating, homicidal, rage inducing moto-hoon, cock teasing, blue balling day of motorcycle riding I've had in the past 100,000 miles.
    It made me so angry I wanted to take the next 10 years and track down the families that ruined my ride today, dig up their ancestors and beat their children to death with their bones.

Colorado is a beautiful, seductive, curvy tempress of twistiness, a prior porn star who used to f*ck like a demon but is now a born again virgin who only does missionary, and will only take the tip. The sub speed limit tourists, a twisty road equivalent of aids, a sandpaper coating on the vaginal walls of Colorados twisties, seemed determined to do 5-15mph below the posted speed limit, which is already too low. They slowly grind away the skin of your manhood and happiness until you're screaming in your helmet fantasizing about genocide.

Riding through Rocky Mountain National park today was the mental equivalent of being waterboarded at the dmv while being anally invaded with a squid jig.

So much wasted potential here. The good roads far enough away from people to be ridden hard are all gravel, and all the perfect quality racetrack runs are overrun with traffic. But it is a beautiful, beautiful place

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

With a big ass pbr and a catfish dinner in me from Smoking Dave's BBQ in lyon... I feel much better. Back on the road headed for camp.

***** Disclaimer**** Yes, I understand the necessity for tourists to support the economy for the towns and organizations that are responsible for making National Forests and State Parks happen in order to protect, conserve and maintain these wonderful places.... that however does not make minivans doing 15mph under the speed limit any less rage inducing. Its a rant, Im not really digging up anyones grandparents.

As if in an attempt to apologize, I was then gifted with 7, 72, and 119 where I saw a total of 6 cars on the 30 mile stretch, was able to pass all of them within 30 seconds of ending up behind them and was able to cruise at what I deemed an acceptable pace on the 35/40 mph twisty roads with a few good 180* 20mph turns tossed in for good measure. Thank you Colorado. Apology accepted

I rolled through the Cold Springs campground a couple times and didnt see any campsites without tags on the site number posts, but on my second round through the camp host stepped out and stopped me and answered the question I needed to know. There were tags on sites but a lot of them didnt start until the next day. She gave me the green light and told me it was cool to camp in those spots, so once I was set, got my site setup and hit the chitter. After returning to my site the couple in the site next to me, the gentleman came over offering fresh watermelon. They invited me in to their site and we had a pleasant conversation (found out they were traveling from Washington state to Colorado for a wedding) and enjoyed some delicious fresh watermelon then thanked them, they told me i was crazy after hearing about the adventure thus far and it was off to bed.

297 Miles on the day ending @cold springs campground in Black Hawk
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  15. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 20
    Woke up, packed up and headed into Idaho Springs for breakfast, BIG ole burrito and pancakes, it was a glorious breakfast and my tummy was quite happy as I got back on the road. From Black Hawk I hopped on 103 headed towards Mt Evans and went all the way to the top. 103 is racetrack smooth and feels wonderful and is greaaaat to smash.

[IMG]

Mt Evans first parts trust smooth rust through the woods. As you approach Summit Lake (which is absolutely beautiful but had far too many people in it for me to stop and take pictures so ill steal one from google) the road becomes microwave bacon and gets such bad waves in it that literaly with well timed throttle grab i was launching the wee and catching air, it was glorious. The rest is uphill cliiff edge "20mph" switchbacks on super super fucked up road, its awesome.
    Watch out for goats, elk and tourists

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Coming in hot into a tight 20mph right hand uphill corner I was scraping the footpeg and it caught a pothole and ripped clean off. I stopped and went back and grabbed the parts, continued to the top (which is 14,265 feet... its up there) and zip tied the foot peg back on.... From here I had the choice to cancel the rest of my planned route and just head into denver to get parts..... or continue on with my foot braced on the braced for the footpeg rather than the peg itself..... as you can imagine... I chose to continue smashing.

103 is racetrack smooth with very little traffic and is a great road coming back out of Mt Evans and headed towards Squaw Mountain, hopped off on Squaw Mountain Trail and was stopped just shy of the top at a closed gate

[IMG]
    [IMG]

SO back down I went onto Squaw Pass Rd ran that east to 74, jumped onto 65 North then 70 West until I got to 6 East, which is a very scenic beautiful road with unfortunately more people with the pavement in worse shape, still a fun ride. Rode from Golden to Evergreen so I could smash 74 East into Morrison and it was geeeewd.

From here I headed into Lakewood and got myself a set of pegs so I could replace my snapped off peg, where I spotted this beauty

[IMG]
    [IMG]

After that I headed down to 38 State brewing where I had a delicious Beer called a Pootie Tang, if youre in the area id highly recommend stopping in for a beer and bavarian pretzel.

After my beer and pretzel my friend was off work as it was friday, so I went and scooped her up and we went and got her some gear as she is taking her basic riders course soon and needed some good gear. After that we went to a bar, hung out, shot the shit and killed a few brewskies, before we knew it, it was 1030 at night and i hadnt eaten since breakfast....oopsies. SO we went and got some late night mickie d's which we ate in a parking lot before i took her back home and headed.

Found myself a hotel and bunked out.

235 Miles on the day ending @ Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham at Denver Tech Center
  16. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 21 was Saturday August 11th

I went and grabbed my stuff that I had left at my friends house, she unfortunately was feeling VERY under the weather and was pretty sure she had food poisoning, So I gave goodbyes, loaded up and hit the road.

Headed East, I stopped in Colby Kansas 250 miles away. Got an overnight room at the Super 8

250 miles on the day ending @ super 8 in Colby

Day 22-23-24-25
    Colby to Overland Park just shy of Kansas City 370 miles away where I met up with an Army Vet and Dive School buddy who just recently recovered from a heart infection, shit was crazy.
    So I was there Sunday night to Thursday Morning. Hung out, did a bit of drinking. Went to an adult arcade where we you can drink beer and play old arcade games that was a blast
    got a bunch of basic maintenance stuff done with parts I had shipped to his place (up to and including oil, new atv high bars, a new pr5 rear tire and some other small goodies)
    I recieved my 3rd set of front rotors from a company who ive been working with who apparently has a pretty severe issue with their machining process because 3 out of 3 sets of rotors have been varying levels of warped.... which is not conducive to full balls out hooning.

Also got my new bar ends because I lost one wayyyy back in california so i have been rocking with just one hand guard on. Also had to replace my dual usb plug and volt meter because i had rattled my other one to death.

We hit the river and did some cat fishing, had a good time, was great to see him.

Day 26 (Thur, Aug 16)

Went from Overland Park to just outside Tulsa, Oklahoma where I stopped to visit another Air Force Vet friend who was a sergeant i served with in Maryland. Was great to see him and catch up. Enjoyed some fried chicken for dinner with some single malt for desert in my awesome glad. Unfortunately we didnt get any pictures, either way was great to see him and was awesome to see him and his wife and daughter are all doing great.

I had planned on carrying on and finding a spot to camp but as a storm had moved in and there was storm and flash flood warnings he invited me to spend the night, an offer which i gladly accepted.

260 miles on the day ending @ Tulsa, OK

Day 27-28-29-30

I carried on to Nolanville where I met up with and spent the following fews days with a childhood friend whos now an army sniper/ tanker whos a pretty badass dude, after 5 combat tours hes being med boarded and im glad hes survived his career.

We took kayaks out and did some fishing, caught enough to have a good catfish and bluegill dinner along with venison chili.. of course coupled with cold beer, while watching 12 Strong, it was glorious.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

We went out and shot some pool and did some drinking, got home about 2-230 then woke up at 7 because he had to go coach little league (we both smelled like a bar as we sweat out the drinks from the night before)
    After the game (which they won) we went to the range and he unfortunately had a rifle blow up in his arms (after an hour drive to get to the range, halfway through his second magazine)
    So we took him to the hospital on Ft Hood (which was not surprisingly a joke and a waste of time because military medical is a crock of shit)

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The next day we went and did some long range shooting and brought out the big guns, that was a good time

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

415 miles ending @ Nolanville Tx

Day 31- 32

Ft Hood to Dallas, where I visited a friend tuesday and wednesday

Left about 1430 on Wednesday and headed North with a destinated of Colorado Springs to go ride Pikes Peak.

Ended up getting a room at Americas Best Value Inn in Amarillo

535 miles ending @ Amarillo, Tx

Day 33

Bombed it up to Colorado Springs where I went to the local cycle gear to source a new front tire so I would have one (as Ill next be headed to Wyoming, montana and Idaho.... too far to go without tread)

Cycle Gear did not have what i needed but were kind enough to send me to Apex Motorsports who did in fact have a 110/80zr19 which I bought and strapped on top of my pr5 on top of my duffel...(beginning to look like a hoarder) I had to tension my chain because mine was in need of adjustment, so i knocked that out quick.

From here i intended on going to go ride 67 passed Cripple Creek, around cow mountain to Victor.

I left Apex and headed west on 24.. ended up at the Entrance of Pikes Peak an hour shy of when they closed, changed my mind and decided to go back and get the new rear tire put on with a plan to ride pikes peak in the am on fresh rubber. I turned around and went back to Apex and bought a new chain( to have for when i decided mine was dead enough) and i put the wee up on the center stand and pulled the rear tire off to get my new pr5 put on. Wandered around the shop a bit and drooled over some random and misc bikes

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

With the new tire on the bike I went and ripped 24 again and this time actually got to ride 67, which is a beautiful sensational road that i unfortunately saw 4 police officers on, luckily the locals were kind enough to give me the high beam flash heads up in time to slow down to avoid tickets :)

I rode all the way to Victor then turned around and came back where I ended up at Carmens in Woodlawn for a delicious beer battered fish dinner with a knob creek and coke.

After dinner I rolled over to Springdale Campground which ironically enough was at the south end of Rampart Range Road, which is the opposite end of the road I camped at when visiting my friend in Denver on day 18? I think. Either way it gave me a chuckle. Was a fun road to get out there and booooyyyy howdy did it get cold that night... almost as if I was camping in the mountains in colorado.

473 Miles on the day ending @ SpringDale campground
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  17. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 34 PIKES PEAK!!

I woke up at 0615 and packed up, excited like a kid on christmas morning I got all my gear packed and hopped on the bike. I rolled up to the entrance gate at Pikes Peak at 0710 and there was already 4 cars in line.
    I paid my entrance fee and got my summit pass (the summit is currently under construction and there is a limited amount of people allowed to the top, motorcycles are allowed all day)

Riding pikes peak was a blast, the posted speed limit through pikes peak is 25-30mph on non race days and there isnt exactly a bunch of passing sections..... welllllll I may have bent a few rules, I didnt go full race pace by any means but its pikes peak... im not going 25. So I rode at a spirited pace, passed people when it was safe and made my way to the summit. I made pretty good time and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. About a mile and a half/ two miles from the top i ended up behind a Forest Service truck who upon getting to the top gave me a stern talking to, she was not happy with the pace at which i reached the summit.... so i of course completely ignored her ass chewing and headed back down at a pace which I felt was safe (again.... its pikes peak... im not doing 25mph) So i made it from the summit to the front gate in ~26 minutes with slowing down at checkpoints, stopping to take a few pictures, slowing at scenic viewpoints where there was tourists and carrying a pace which I found fun, but didnt think would land me in jail. Did get some real cool pictures.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

After Pikes Peak I got back on the road and headed for Lander, Wyoming
    Going through Denver was of course awful, fueled up just outside the Broncos stadium then hopped back on the road.
    287 to Laramie actually wasnt too bad but once I hit 80... the wind kicked up and I spent the rest of the ride trying to not be blown off the road

A food and fuel stop in Rawlins and I ended up in Lander Friday afternoon
    Sitting and having a few beers and a few fingers of scotch as the deer walked through the yard reminded me how much I love being in Wyoming

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

493 miles on the day ending @Lander, Wyoming
  18. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 35
    I went to go get my new chain put on as mine had begun to loose tension by the day, unfortunately the 3 local shops were closed, so I tensioned my chain back up with the intent of getting it done in Cody on Monday morning. I stopped at a local outdoor shop for some bear spray as i dont want to have to pay the $10,000 fine for shooting a bear out of season, and most of the time the spray is actually more effective.... and there was a bear attack in yellowstone 2 days prior. safety 3rd

I got back and took my buddies mom for a ride(her first time on a bike in 27 years) on the wee into town for Ice cream then we went out and rode the switchbacks in Sinks Canyon... Id certainly recommend checking that out, beautiful spots, great roads, lots of fun. There was some amazing taxidermy in the gift shop attached to the ice cream parlor

Chill day ending with a beautiful sunset

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

85 miles ending @ Lander

Day 36
    After taking some shameless moto picks for my buddies mom, I tensioned and lubed my chain, then started packing up my bike and gear and my buddies mom comes out and goes "I have some expired bear spray do you want to do a test so you know how yours works?" (i had bought the same kind)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I of course said yes, so we got a box and i moved to the end of the driveway and checked the wind direction then let her rip. With no instant reaction I went up and grabbed the box and gave it a big sniff.... nothing "it smells weird but its not too bad" i yelled to my buddies step dad, as i gave it a second big whiff i felt the pepper hit the back of my throat and it was game on. Through my more and more aggressive coughing i barked out "welp there it is, yup it works" it had a delayed reaction. At this point i realized my buddies mom as around the other side of the garage coughing uncontrollably and keeled over as the wind had changed and taken the spray and circled around the back of the garage and caught her baaaaaad. Luckily Chez was already coming back from the house with bottles of water. After everyone rinsed out there mouths and faces and eyes we all decided that the 5 year old bear spray still did in fact work.

So I finished packing up and headed for Buffalo. Took 20 up to 16 all the way to Buffalo. The two stretches of Bighorn National Forest on 16 and 14 were AWESOME. A good mix of tight technical roads and open clean sweepers, I did see a couple of deer right on the side of the road but luckily they all stayed there. The rest of the ride was meh, long straight boring roads with brutal wind. Lovell to Cody is kinda meh, but bighorn was sweet.

I hit the pizza hut buffet for dinner, stopped at walmart and bought a $10 kids fuzzy blanket and headed to North Shore Campground on the Buffalo Bill Reservoir.

407 Miles on the day ending @ North Shore Camgpround ($17)
  19. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 37
    Weather forecast when I woke up was 39* and rain... luckily the first drops of rain didnt start until i was swinging my leg over the bike headed back into town.

I packed up headed back into Cody and went to Mountain Valley Motorsports and got my new chain put on (I didnt bring my chain tools with me, I shouldve just got it put on in Colorado Springs because they quoted me $35 and it ended up costing me $92 in Cody... but hindsight is 20/20 and now I have a new front sprocket and chain on... will be getting a new rear sprocket when possible(have to track one down))

From there I went to Irma Hotel for breakfast and had the buffet..... biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs with cheese, scoop of fruit, bacon and sausage.... for a whopping $13... it was delicious. I then went to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West and toured all 5 museums. By the time I got out the weather had gone from 48* and raining to 60s and sunny..... so I said screw it and headed towards YellowStone

Got a BUNCH of cool pictures of the mountains, tunnel and river around Buffalo Bill reservoir

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I kept pushing passed Wapiti and headed for Yellowstone, right outside the gate there was a Buffalo trotting along the road in the rain.

From here sh!t starts to get crazy. Apparently Yellowstone had gotten 3" of snow the night before and morning of... so my ride got interesting reaaallll quick.
    As I went up in elevation the temp dropped and the amount of snow increased, the rain turned to hail turned to snow... I got soaked to the point I had water dripping down the back of my legs. My heated grips and seat heater pad were on max and I was the strangest combination of frozen and cooking. My hands and feet eventually went numb and the cold shivers kicked in and visibility was so bad because the rainfal got so heavy I had to roll with my visor cracked to keep it from fogging and frequently wipe it off so I could see.

There was a brief period where the rain stopped and I stopped at one of the tourist spots and got to see some cool stuff

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The rain of course kicked back up not much further down the road. The road around the visitors center is destrooooyed and is currently under construction so the rain made that fun.... real fun. Tourists of course created giant clusterf*cks everytime there was an animal, a whopping 6 elk were seen through the whole park... the weather had everything bedded down.

The thermal pockets are super cool and here are some pictures

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I pushed on and just cranked the throttle to full lock and held it there until I reached Ashton, Idaho.... because there was a hotel listed for $38.99(wth tax) per night and the cheapest hotel in Cody was $90 a night. Upon walking through the front door to the counter... soaked to bone... teeth chattering and shivering, the guys at the front desk tell me theyre going to give me a hook up. $90, normal room rate is $139.99

I of course ask them about the google listing for $38.99 which they inform me is for the RV park behind them, not the Hotel. At this point I am frozen and dont care. I take the room, move my stuff in and get into a cold shower that I gradually warm up until I am thawed out.

So I have to somehow find a way to get my $100 difference reimbursed for the inaccurate advertisement. But I was cold, and angry, so i got warm and then walked to the restaurant(Big Jdus) right at the end of the lot and had a delicious chicken sandwich with sweet potato waffle fries for dinner, came back, cranked the heat up in the room and PASSSED THE EF OUT.

215 miles ending @ Ashton, Idaho

Day 38
    Spent the whole day writing up this report with just a break to go across the alley to Big Juds for lunch and back to keep on typing away

With all my shit spread out across this whole hotel room because EVERYTHING is wet (minus the stuff that was in the givi cases)

0 Miles on the day ending @ this hotel
  20. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Hoping to get all the images uploaded and inserted into this last chunk of update and tomorrow im back on the road, going to go ride yellowstone, bear tooth pass, red lodge. Go to Great Falls, Montana then continue on through montana, idaho, washington, oregon and then back into californa.... which is honestly when ill probably do the last chunk of the ride report and final revisions.... so stay tuned.
    wee-twin, Eric B and Trip Hammer like this.