1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Play'n With Our Wee's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freerydejunky, Jul 14, 2018.

1. DirtyDieselGoober

DirtyDieselGoober Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after spending the last few hours fighting with PhotoBucket Ive had no success, so no photos tonight, ill try again in the morning but packing up to roll will be a priority.
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    If you want I can set you up with a gallery you can dump any/all your pics into on Smugmug shoot me a PM if you want that done.
    Much easier to use than most other tools you will just have an upload URL to dump pics into then you can link to your hearts content.

Letmeknow
  3. Eric B

Eric B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff so far. Keep the (relatively) shiney side up.
  4. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Well guys this will be my final update, I am now back in California sitting on the couch typing up the last bit of the trip. So here we go ...
  5. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 39
    I pack up and leave Ashton
    I take 47 which was BEAUTIFUL, to Fish Creek Rd which is PHENOMENAL. They have a mixed bag of knarly fucked up pavement, gravel, and smooth road. It is beautiful, you get lost in the landscape as it runs up and over a mountain and along side a stream. Top half/top third of fish Creek is gravel that gets pretty knarly in some spots from rain washout but nothing impassable. (75 miles from Ashton to w yellowstone)

As I rolled into West Yellowstone I figured Id fuel up and stop for lunch, so I stopped at the Slippery otter pub and eatery and had a delicious Elk burger with a good beer.

Yellowstone is beautiful. Some really cool landscape and you get to see geysers, buffalo, elk, and minus all the people it was really cool to see. A lot of the roads run next to streams at the bottoms of Mountains through the forest, which is always a win. I Rode 20E to 89 up to Mammoth springs (here is one of the construction spots) I headed East towards Tower junction and south to Canyon Village. A really nice scenic area with great views of canyons and mountains, super cool.

Well at the intersection at Canyon Village an elderly couple in front of me in a minivan pulled off to the right onto the shoulder about 50ft after the intersection, I incorrectly assummed they were pulling over, there was enough room to safely pass them on the correct side of the double yellow. I dropped a gear and began to accelerate as we had slowed when they pulled over, well then grandma hardcranked the wheel to the left and gunned it. I made hard contact with the front end of the minivan and was sent a tumbling, police arrived, report was taken, minivan was flatbedded away and I was able to ride away from the scene.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The forest service guys were kind enough to get me setup with a camping spot at the canyon village campground, I went back to the shop to try to get the damage fixed on the bike to make it easier to ride.... as the footpegs were bent and the levers were snapped and yeah.. it was in rough shape.

As I was sitting behind the shop unbending some of shiite, a local came up and was shooting the shit with me and was kind enough to give me a ride to the local food spot for dinner, then helped me get my stuff to my campsite, greatly appreciated.

165 miles on the day ending @ Canyon Village Campground

Day 40
    I woke up and it was COLD, well.... not like wisconsin in the winter cold... but still... wasnt warm. So I packed up and headed to the shop to see if they had a torch and some tools to make the wee rideable enough to continue my trip

[IMG]
    [IMG]

So the guys at the shop helped me Unf*ck the wee enough to ride, I packed up and got back on the road. I will say that was the first time that pulling a glove on made my stomach hurt... maybe because it looked like this

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I rode the rest of the Yellowstone loop and it was really cool, there was a bit of construction. I was going to stop at Old Faithful and check out that ole squirting miracle.... but as i rolled into the parkinglot there was an abundance of people and I wasnt in the mood to deal with them.... or take my glove off again. So i got back to riding. I rode back up to Tower Junction then took 212 on the way out of the Park towards Cooke City was AWESOME and I saw more buffalo there than anywhere else in the park.... which of course mean random collections of people surprise stopping to be tourists. I waited until there was some near an actual designated parking area to walk back and get a picture

[IMG]

I then hopped back on 212 and headed over Beartooth pass towards red lodge < that stretch of road was f*cking awesome, absolutely beautiful, wonderful curvy road.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I went to Red Lodge Ale house for dinner and a couple local brewskies before heading to Palisades Campground for the night. Awesome beautiful little 6 spot camp spot recommended to me by my waitress

[IMG]

You dont really realize how much you need your left hand until its f*cked.... boy howdy, I sure knew how much I needed it by the end of the day.

235 miles on the day ending @ Palisades Campground outside Red Lodge
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  6. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey you dirty fuckin' redneck goober, you can attach them directly. There's a button next to "post reply" that says "upload pic or GPS track". Herp derr. :lol3

Second, I miss your face. Let's go ride bikes and eat cheeseburgers when you return.

Xoxox

Sugga mamma
  7. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:
    Day 41
    A Beautiful start to the day, not nearly as cold as the wakeup from the day before, the sound of the stream babbling along behind my tent. I headed into town, got some breakfast, tensioned my chain, fueled up and headed back south over bear tooth pass. This time I actually stopped and got some pictures though. Absaf*ckinglutely beautiful....

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Once over Bear Tooth pass I hooked a left and hopped on 296 north towards 120. This is a PHENOMENAL stretch of road and I thoroughly enjoyed smashing it. I started up a nice twisty mountain portion and came up behind a red BMW R1200RT with two people on it hooning along, he was keeping a pretty good pace so I was hooning along behind him. He noticed I was behind him and the pace picked up and we were GETTIN IT. He eventually waved me passed and I dropped a gear and gave her alllll the beans. Well... so did he, we proceeded to carve the mountain with an chainsaw engine grade electric carver and it was GLORIOUS. We made it up, over and down from the mountain, as youre coming out of the mountain about 15 miles shy of 120, there was a large collection of cars and the people in front of me came to a surprise stop, because there was a mama bear and 3 cubs in the field. There is a cool stretch as you come out of the mountains where there is some red bluffs and its super pretty, super random but beautiful.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

So I got some pictures of the bears... headed down the road and saw all the cows in the fields not too far away.... mama bear was getting ready to make beef for dinner for those cubs. So I keep ripping and get to the junction at 120. I stopped, put my modular chin bar up and waited for the bmw to catch up, as he pulled up I gave him a good fist bump and we had a good laugh about the ride up the mountain. The exchange went something along the lines of this

Me: Hey man, that was glorious! Its nice to see someone on a sport touring bike embracing the sport side of it and not being frustratingly slow. You were gettin it!
    Him: Yeah I waved you passed I didnt want to slow you down, is this a 650 or a 1000?
    me: its a 650
    him: you were riding the SH!T out of that thing
    me: hahah thanks, when you waved me passed I just dropped a gear and gave her hell, you werent more than 2 or 3 corners behind me for it though. Youre a damn hooligan!
    him: *laughs*
    me: i could tell when you saw me behind you, you wicked it up and were holding a pretty good pace
    his wife: him?? go faster when another bike shows up? being a hooligan?? nooooo!!! *laughs*

we then talked a bit about our trips, then split off and headed our separate ways. I hopped 120 to 72 to 310 to 212 to 90 into Billings. < none of which was particularly exciting

I went to Hi Tech Motorsports in Billings in search of a new rear sprocket as mine was smooooked.

They unfortunately did not have any sprockets in stock, it was going to be wednesday before they could have one shipped because it was friday at 1745 and Labor day weekend.

The owner of the shop actually came and talked to me and offered to pull one of the sprockets off of one of her showroom floor bikes and offered to let me camp in the field behind the shop. Super nice lady and while the offer was greatly appreciated i just couldnt bring myself to pay $315 for a $40 sprocket. So I thanked her, and went to get dinner. While I was at dinner I had the idea to contact people on craigslist in the area selling vstroms and requested to buy their rear sprocket, sadly I only got no's and no responses. So after i finished dinner I headed west, ending my night in Bozeman at the Best Western. The woman at the counter at the best western hooked me up because there was issues with my booking so i actually ended up in a King Suite... which was glorious!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

345 miles on the day ending @ Bozeman MT

Day 42
    Started my day with a delicious pancake and bacon breakfast then tensioning my chain. I had decided I was going to wait until this morning to hear back on locals about a rear sprocket and if no one responded I would head back to California and go get my damage estimate done and maybe some xrays

So no one local responded about a sprocket so back to California I headed.

I hopped 191 headed south and it was beautiful, glorious stretch of road that runs along side a Field and Stream beautiful landscape that goes through the mountains
    Beautiful area

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The bridge over the river coming into Twin Falls Idaho has a gorgeous view, Im going to have to google insert a picture because I didnt want to stop to take one.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

So coming into Wells, Nevada about 15 miles away with a Big rig behind me with my fuel light flashing and I feel my chain slip and skip a tooth.... which of course led to me mentally shitting my pants. Luckily I made it into the next town, stop at the gas station, went inside and took a big scaredy poo then fueled up, tensioned my chain to its max and kept pushing. My final stopping point for the night ended up being the Sante Fe Hotel in Winnemucca, Nevada

650 miles on the day ending @ Winnemucca, Nevada

Day 43
    As my chain was fubar'd after my continental breakfast of two pastries and a cup of hot chocolate I went to the Walmart a mile and a half down the road because who else was going to be open on a Saturday on Labor Day weekend??

So I pull up to the Walmart out back to the auto center and ask the guy if he has a grinder or death wheel because i need to take a link or two out of my chain, he tells me he doesnt have either, so I ask if i buy a death wheel if i can use power to which he agrees.

So I go inside and spend a whopping $18 on an angle grinder and go outside, Brain in auto care is kind enough to run me an extension cord to the back outside one of the bays. I get the chain shortened by 2 links, giving me back the full range of adjustment, stop for fuel then get back on the road. THANKS BRIAN

I stop just outside Reno, tighten the chain again, fuel up and keep pushing. I will say 80w from Reno is pretty glorious, has quite beautiful views and is a nice fun twisty road... as far as freeways go

30 miles shy of my final destination the chain slips off as im crossing a bridge and I had to duck paddle my way across the bridge, stop, get the chain back on, tensioned and finished my journey.

SO here my journey ends.

365 miles on the day

13,500 miles
    3 rear tires
    2 chains
    a sprocket change
    2 sets of handle bars
    a plethora of wild stories and pictures of beautiful places.
    and only one crash on pavement.
    Id call that a success

DIRTY DIESEL GOOBER OUT. (until the next adventure)
    wee-twin and Trip Hammer like this.
  8. DirtyDieselGoober

Oddometer:

yeahhhhh so theyre on my phone and not on my computer and thatd be a huge painin the dik
    also im back

Sfcootz likes this.
  9. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :raabia
  10. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The images don't show starting at Day 11, Post #59. Did you change the way you are uploading from Day 10? Any way to fix this? Thx.
  11. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also can’t see the photos....daaaaaaaaaaammit