Just sold my last Sportster ever. Looking at a 2007 Buell Ulysses tomorrow...opinions?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by lucky23, Mar 24, 2019.

1. lucky23

lucky23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sold my 2000 Sportster 1200, and I shall never buy another. Ive owned many Sportsters, Evo and Ironhead, but Im ready for something different, So Im going to go look at a 2007 Buell Ulysses with 17000 miles tomorrow. He's asking $3900 but Im going to offer $3500 if I like it. Ive never owned anything resembling a modern sport bike, but Im intrigued by the Buell for touring/handling and comfort. Anything has to be more comfortable than my last bike! Im also looking at a 2006 Ducati Monster for $3200, but I love the fact that the Buell has that Harley grunt and torque. Ugh, Opinions, anyone?
  2. TheBuelligan

TheBuelligan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 Ulysses. It has been my favorite bike I've owned thus far. Buell's are great bikes, but with the lack of dealer support, you better know how to turn a wrench because nobody else wants to work on them. That being said, I have never had any major issues out of mine. Parts are plentiful and there is a large deal of good used parts out there for them. I say go for it!
  3. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant imagine it rides all that much different than a sportster on which the drivetrain is based. My friend recently bought a low mile 08 Ulysses and after riding it I wondered why. Sluggish power, twitchy handling and looks cheaply made. He is a Harley guy and owns a 14 Streetglide so in comparison its light, agile, and fast but in the real world its decades behind and pretty ugly to boot.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. PDTX

PDTX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The heat on my right leg made my Ulysses unbearable in south Texas.
    CCitis likes this.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I hate to rain on someone's sale, but be aware that some 2007 Ulysses had problems with the crank. This usually happens with higher mileage but not always. Mine went at 43,000 miles. I was considering a new 2010 Ulysses at the time when HD pulled the plug, but they were all snapped up at the prices dealers were blowing them out for.

2008 on have some worthwhile updates, and even more for those 2010s.
  6. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    That seems like a high price. I almost bought an Uly from a used dealer for half that amount last year but theyre too damn tall for my 60 year old 31 inch inseam.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Lots of people love the Ulysses. I think there is a thread in Beasts?
  8. gdsob

gdsob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go for it. No comparison to the Sporty- it's lighter, more horsepower, turns better and is all day comfortable. I don't ride my 08 as much as I'd like, but when I do, it like "what a great freaking bike this is!".
    crnt918 likes this.
  9. Norcal_Rider

Norcal_Rider IBA Alumnus Supporter

Oddometer:
    In spite of all the negative comments, I bought a 2008 yesterday. Just be aware of its character and limitations. If you liked your Sportsters, you will likely enjoy the Buell. I like quirky and it is comfortable. Rode it home yesterday 485 miles and no regrets at all.
    Florida Lime likes this.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Most of the negative comments come from people who have never ridden one. :deal
  11. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Uly! I paid 8000 for a 2006 in 2008. It had a race chip, drummer exhaust, Buell quest gps and no luggage in Alabama. I wrecked that one in the mountains of New Mexico near Mayhill (cattle truck ran me off the road!). 2011 I paid 6000 for a 2006 stock bike with the full set of hard bags shipped from Colorado to Texas. Its now snow bound in Alaska ready to go once I can get the shed door open!

Just so you don't think I'm too off balanced........Since I bought my first Buell in 2008 I have also owned a 2007 KLX250s, 2005 Suzuki v-strom 1000, 1998 HD Roadglide, and a 2012 BMW R1200 GSA. I still have the KLX and the Buell. I loved all the other bikes very much, but the Buell fits me perfectly. Its NOT an off roader, but it will eat gravel roads like crazy! I've done the Taylor, top of the world and Denali highways on it 2 up.

At one point I had the GSA and the Uly parked side by side in my driveway and my wife asked what the main difference was........"The BMW feels planted like a tractor plowing a field, but the Buell is more like a butterfly floating over the road. Heavy, safe, secure, over-engineered, Germany luxury vs light, responsive, flickable, American ingenuity!"
  12. lowriderglen

lowriderglen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 Uly and love it. Simple bike. I also have the drummer exhaust and race tuner. I also did a chain conversion. It has never let me down. Just put a new battery in it today. I gave $4k for it eight years ago. No regrets.
  13. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Most fun bike I've owned. But mine was not reliable. Had a number of issues, mostly electrical things. Ended up getting rid of it because of fears of parts availability.
    But it was a super fun bike to ride...
  14. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had an 06 for 60K miles, an 08 for 40K miles

Knee surgery took us out of the Buell game

Top Heavy and tall

Badweatherbikers is your Friend.

GL
  15. Boondocker1

Boondocker1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 Uly... have had it for a while. Traded a 73 BMW R90 for it from a guy here on the board. I've loved it and loathed it many times over but kept working the kinks out of it. It is an absolutely fabulous motorcycle to ride. My wife loves it, Florida sugar sand does not love it. It's a mile eater that loves the gravel roads and super slabs equally. You do need to pay attention to maintenance and just like any other bike, there is a learning curve on how to trouble shoot / fix it. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Just did a nice 200 mile lap around Lake George here in central Florida yesterday... loved it.

*...and yes, I know my blinkers are falling apart. I have a brand new set of short stem blinkers in my garage that I plan on installing this week. :)

upload_2019-9-3_9-40-46.png
    Amphib likes this.
  16. buelcati

buelcati Buelcati

Oddometer:
    Rode Harleys for 50 years. My 2008 Uylsses xt is by far the best Harley i ever through a leg over. There were some real dump asses at HD to dump Buell.
  17. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    The Mother Ship never has been that smart

YRMV
  18. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky23,

I see you're from Portland. I just bought fork seals and brake pads and had a new seal installed at Paradise H-D in Tigard --- They still stock some parts for Buell and say that they can still order almost anything from H-D. My bike has been very reliable, except for the front fork seal on the brake side, excellent suspension, and can really eat up the miles -- loves to run at 4k about 80 in 5th. I believe that there were some changes in the crank in 2008/09 and be sure to check the rear wheel bearings. The years up to 2010 only had 2 bearings the short run of 2010 included a 3 bearing rear wheel. I installed a 2010 complete rear wheel on my 2009. Good Luck!
  19. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    The 07s had a bad batch of cranks

YRMV
  20. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky23,
    Quote: " Im going to go look at a 2007 Buell Ulysses with 17000 miles tomorrow."

So, what's your report?