1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

K1200S land speed record

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Anorak, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    176 miles per hour. Yes, a Hayabusa is faster but none were running in the class.
    [​IMG]
  2. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Not to shabby, i wonder how much room is left with that bike to make it silly fast, I think a heavily modded busa was around the 250 mark..obviously turboed.
  3. Anorak

Oddometer:
    John Noonan's turboed, intercooled, lowered, stretched with several lead ingots bolted to the swingarm for traction. He hit 260 one way I believe. I will try to come up with a ride report. The K1200S averaged 173.
  4. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was thinking of noonans. 260 is bloody flyin. That 176 is not to bad for the bmw..not that far off stock though..it seems to be right on par speedwise with the 1990 and later ZX-11.
  5. Anorak

Oddometer:
    Cycleworld Sportbike had a completely stock K1200S out there. Andy Sills and his girlfriend Erin Hunter managed 169 mph two up. With the stock 190/50-17 rear tire either K1200S was rpm limited to 171 mph. The record bike used a 190/55-17 tire to pick up 5 mph but still limited by the redline. I imagine with similar gearing it could run with the GSXR1300 and ZX12R. One ZX12R in the run what ya brung class hit 196 with only remapping and a pipe.
    [​IMG]
  6. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I was out there on the salt also with my R1200ST with the San Jose BMW crew who ran their '78 R100RS, 162 MPH and their K1200R Power Cup Bike. The Power Cup bike was able to run 166 before the wind came up and shut the course. Chris again set records on both the R100RS and the Power Cup bike.

It is clear that all the Beemers could have attained higher speeds if the final gear ratio could be changed or the rev limit be increased,
    [​IMG]

I was able to run 144.4 on the ST while hitting the rev limiter in 6th well before the 1st mile marker. Like the other BMW bikes running there, a larger diameter tire should give a faster speed as we figured that the ST was aerodynamically clean enough and has enough power to in the low to mid 150's

[​IMG]

Another view of San Jose's bikes.

[​IMG]
  7. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    This looks like a major kick in the pants. How does one go about signing up for it? Where is it exactly?

Thanks

grant-
  8. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dean,

I thought you were doing a buck fifty a couple of times when you passed me on the Gypsy Tour. Looks like you had a great time at Bonneville. 144 is a pretty nice run on a twin.

I noticed that BMW NA was running a bike that hit 183 mph on Sept 7. See entry 82 on this link BUB Speed Trials Results. What was it they were running?? I see it was in the P/P1350 class same as the K1200. Is this the HP4 :1drink

Had a great time riding with you on the Gypsy Tour, hope we can get together and do it again some time.

Jim in Sacramento
  9. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Possibly, depends on its aerodynamics...if you did however gear it taller..it would not have much in the acceleration department..it is barely (if even) in the 10s with trap speeds about the same as most 600s.
  10. Anorak

Oddometer:
    I think the 183 was actually Cycle World's Hayabusa ridden by Andy Sills. His number is 32. He rode the BMW NA bike and was moonlighting on the Cycle World bikes.
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Jim, this last trip was one of the best ever, the Gypsy tour was nothing short of fantastic, hope to do it again next year.

Fluorescentbrown in his previous post has it correct. The K1200S was only finaly able to hit 176 after a quick trip to Salt Lake to find the largest diameter tire that would fit. Even at 176, he was at the rev limiter. My ST could accomodate a tire of at least 3/4 inch larger radius, we did not have one though, we belive that with a larger tire that we could hit the low 150's with the ST.

Remember that the Busa has 1300 cc's and the K1200S is a 1170.

All the racers stayed at the Nugget Hotel in Wendover, Utah, great hotel by the way and a great price.
  12. gmccon

gmccon Banned

Oddometer:
    Okay girls, 200 m.p.h. on a motorcycle is a lot of fun. Good for those who like doing that sort of thing. However...

once slowing back down to a speed that won't get you arrested, what bike do you want to be on, and why?

'busa? ST? K12S?

My arguement, or point of view, is this: a really good, all around motorcycle doesn't go 200 m.p.h.

If you can have one bike, would it be an ST, for example, or Kawasaki's latest screaming crotch rocket? (which i think are both beautiful machines.)

greg
  13. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Excellent point Greg,

My ST at the Golden Gate Bridge loaded whith all my camping gear on the way to Bonneville via the Range of Light Gypsy Tour.

[​IMG]

Another view across the salt early Thursday morning.

[​IMG]

The ST on the salt

[​IMG]
  14. gmccon

gmccon Banned

Oddometer:
    excellent photography here in my book, sir. what kind of camera?

back to your ST. I have thought for a long time that the ST replaced the R1100S, my motorcycle. My '04 R11S cost about the same with all the stuff they put on it (Remus exhaust system, etc.) The reason I didn't get the ST? The close out deal on the 'S' amounted to free money- .9% interest, and BMW made the first 5 payments. As it turns out, I'm happy with the 'S', except for h.p. I'd like about 20% more, which I believe is what you have in the ST. Isn't it rated at 120 h.p.?

I've got nearly 4,000 mi on the S, and next week I load the cameras and head for Four Corners. A week in the aspens as they change colors.

greg
  15. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Greg, it is a little Cannon Power shot S200 always on the defalt settings because I don't know how to change them. The R1200ST/RT engines have been dynoed on various dynos at 98 to 104 RWHP depending on the dyno.

A few more pics.
    [​IMG]
    My backyard at sunset

[​IMG]

Again

[​IMG]

My house in the country at sunset.

[​IMG]

Very early in the morning over the cabin

[​IMG]
  16. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    No, it would be a GS. Without wishing to cast aspersions on anyone's choice of motorcycle, the R1200ST is the grey porridge of BMW motorcycles. It's more boring than a very boring thing. The problem is that if you ride one for long enough, it sneaks up on you and almost begins to convince you that it's an OK bike. I had one for a week recently while my R1200GS was in the dealers for some warranty work. It's a bike for 50 somethings who want to kid themselves on that they're riding a sporty bike. It doesn't work for this 50 something though. The GS is far, far more fun
  17. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey kids, let's try not to pollute the cool Bonneville thread with the usual Bike-A-is-better-than-Bike-B-Which-bike-should-I-buy? bullshit. Thank you for your cooperation.
  18. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I am messing up anything, but dayam those were some sweeet pics, and a stunning house too. Good on yer!!!!!

Cheers
  19. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Easy does it there Schtum. The ST is a darn nice bike. Maybe not your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a bad bike.

g-