K75 w/ a R100RS fairing?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dr650dave, Jun 4, 2010.

1. dr650dave

dr650dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I called about this bike and he emailed me this pic. It is a 1991 K75 w/ 20K miles. Says he wants $2500 which I think is high. It has luggage brackets but no luggage. Is it worth looking at?

[​IMG]
  2. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    For $2500 I would take that and ride it for a couple 100,000 miles.

Back in the day, it was a common mod. A guy in Colorado (if memory serves) was making the right rack to mount the RS faring to the K75.

Where is it? If you don't buy it, I know some folks that might.
  3. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Looks like a K75C or T...can't tell if it has a drum rear. Low seat model.

20K means the engine is JUST barely broken in...you might get another 200K out of the bike.

That's a fair price for just the stock bike without the fairing. Can't see if the additional instruments are mounted in the RS fairing?

The RS fairing on a K75 gives you the ultra smooth cross country cruiser that can run all day at 90 and still give you mid 50s mpg. Pick up a set of early K saddle bags for about $300 and it's a great package.

Minimal electronics to worry about..just lube both rear splines every 20K or so and change the fluids. Early gas tank so you should get 225 on a tank.
  4. dr650dave

dr650dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first thought was "gosh darn that's ugly". But after your responses and researching it a bit I'm going to check it out this weekend. It's supposed to be an amazing fairing.
  5. dr650dave

dr650dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This one looks nice.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Well, you might think that thats a high price but I'd buy that bike TOMORROW!

20K is equivalent to "no mileage what-so-ever" and if you need bags and so forth, everything that you could possibly desire is readily available.

*%#@$.... I'd sell my 82RS and buy that bike! Wheres it located?
  7. dr650dave

dr650dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked it out today. It's spent a lot of time outside exposed to the elements. It has rust, oxidation, and pitting on all the metal parts (the owner insists it's just dirt and will wash off) It's nothing I want. It is in Sebastion, FL if anyone is interested. The ad is here.
    http://secure.adpay.com/searchresults.aspx?catid=8045&p=1007&region=1007
  8. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Slightly off-topic but hey, anyone know the make of that nifty little black rack atop the rear case? Looks like a perfect mate for the lid.

FWIW, I would be much more inclined to go for the red-faired K pictured above---looks pretty cherry in more ways than one.
  9. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What brand and model fairing is that?

10. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Late '70s-mid '80s BMW R100RS fairing...

I'm still wondering about that rear top case rack that was added on....Anyone know?
  11. Jasper ST4

Jasper ST4 Guest

The top is a stock Airhead RS fairing but the lowers are aftermarket or likely custom made.
  12. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here done the K75/R100RS fairing marriage? What's involved? I've been kicking around the idea for my newly aquired K75S. Would I need the instrument cluster off a K75 standard model? What about mounting brackets? Can the RS brackets be made to work, or is it just easier to fab some? Thanks.
  13. SBloke

SBloke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Digging up an old one here, but I'm currently in the market for a K75s, and lo and behold, one popped up with an R100RS fairing, albeit only the top half as the lower is quite hard to modify I guess.

My purpose for the bike is general touring within Europe both on highways (130 km/h) and back-roads/the twisties, no dirt through. Rain or shine, +35 or -20 (degrees Celsius), both 1 and 2-up with my petite partner.

Now, my options are simple: go with this K75s with half an R100rs fairing, or a K75s with its far smaller stock fairing. Both in roughly the same price range (2500-3000 euro's) and with similar mileage (~35.000 km). On a side note I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 165 lbs, not a huge guy.
  14. neil p

neil p Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here´s my K75RS. Great weather protection but don´t forget your ear plugs.
  15. SBloke

SBloke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NICE, the aesthetics alone could convince me, but is the wind noise worse than with a standard K75s fairing? The last time I rode one of those I distinctly recall being blasted around the head and chest when not in the sporty position. (Chin on the tank....)

ps. this is the bike I am considering:
    (hotlinking... )

[​IMG]
    1991 K75s with 1976 R100RS fairing upper. ABS (apparently it works..), luggage, 3 spoke wheels (I'd prefer the snowflakes..) and only 26.000 km's Apparently all history is documented and it has "hyperpro" shocks custom fitted to the bike, all round. (whatever these are...) Pricetag ~$3500.
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    I have an 88 K100 with a Parabellum tall windshield on it, and a 93 R100RS.
    The R100 fairing is possibly THE loudest thing I've ever ridden behind.
    Yeah the weather protection is the best ever... But the noise- even with a Laminar Lip... Is unreal.
    The K, OTOH, with that tall windshield on it, is pretty doggone mellow.

2500 for a beater K75? You can find an 80s K 100 or 75 for that in near perfect condition, if you hold out. I tried to sell my K100 last year, nobody wanted it, at what I thought to be a give away price.
  17. SBloke

SBloke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In what way is it loud, what kind of noise? A lot of wind buffeting, forgot your earplugs, engine noise? My previous bike was a naked bike, so I'm used to wearing earplugs and find that more comfortable anyways, but I've grown to really dislike wind in the chest and head and having to lie down behind my head in order to stay out of the wind a bit...

(Please also see the previous page for a picture of the bike I'm pondering)
  18. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Clearview tall windshield quiets the RS dramatically.
  19. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    Most blokes I know have trimmed their R100RS screen so the airflow hits the rider below the helmet, putting the helmet into the windstream. It helps the noise and buffeting enormously.

[​IMG]