Kalle's Indian Chief Projects

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by kallehof, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    +1, wonderful pics and posts Kalle! :thumb

How much (ballpark) do you think is into
    the new-part Chief?

see you soon,
    -- SFMCjohn
  2. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Folks from time to time ask me how much is my 1937 Indian Chief worth? My standard answer is "Every cent I've spent on it!". Which means I don't know and I don't want to think about how much I'm spending on my project. If you want to know how much an Indian Chief is worth what you can do on ebay is type in the search "Indian Chief", then check the "Sold listings" check box, then sort by "Price: highest first". This will give you a list of what they have sold in the past 4-6 weeks. If you do this every four weeks for a few months you really get an idea of what the value of a bike is.

[​IMG]
    $40,200 - Aug 02, 2014 - 1937 Indian Chief - Coshocton, Ohio - Ebay ID 201136167371
    Description from auction: "1937 Indian Chief, Serial #CCG6627, Matching frame and motor. Restored from running original bike, all parts were very nice. 90 miles since professional restoration, this is a beautiful motorcycle, and is in very good condition. ... " - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Chie...ed4a659cb&item=201136167371&pt=US_motorcycles

[​IMG]
    $31,499 - Aug 19, 2014 - 1937 Indian Chief - Cincinnati, Ohio - Ebay ID 231306347377
    Description from auction: "Garage Find in mid 2008: 37 Chief with a 46 motor. Frame is 3371865. Title shows 37 Indian Chief Serial # 3371865. Motor is 46 Chief CDF5789 B. Clear Ohio Title. Total Rebuild . every nut and bolt - over 12 months by noted Indian Guru James Solberg (see AMCA Magazine). Motorcycle starts & runs well . Approx. 12,000 Miles on Rebuild. Built to be a ride anywhere bike. Took her on a 3,000 mile loop from Wyoming to Glacier, Hells Canyon, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Ridden on multiple AMCA Rallys. 74 cu.in., Bonneville Cams & Followers, 4 Speed, 12 Volt Alternator . Harley Voltage Regulator, New in .14 Kiwi Electric Start w/Lithium Battery (Knee replacement . cannot kick anymore), Heather.s Leather Seat, Luggage Rack, Tooled Leather Bags, Art Deco Spots (Safety). Harley 45 Wind Screen adapted for Chief. Speedo rebuilt by Janus in Canada. Base Coat Red with Satin Clear Coat to mimic an original style paint look. Not a trailer queen, but a rider you will be proud of. Couple of rock chips as you would expect on any bike that is ridden. 4 Speed by Chief Overdrive" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Indi...5daeec371&item=231306347377&pt=US_motorcycles

[​IMG]
    $28,500 - Sept 06, 2014 - 1937 Indian Chief - North Canton, Ohio - KIKO AUCTIONS
    Description from auction: "Vintage Motorcycles Parked 20-30 Years: 1937 Indian Brown & White Serial #CCG2046BY" - http://www.kikoauctions.com/?nav=auctions&details=4646

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco
  3. DavisWelding

DavisWelding Banned

Oddometer:

That auction was for 4 or 5 bikes, right? Some one got a pretty fair deal from the looks of the list of bikes.
  4. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    My ballpark guess would be $35,000-$45,000.

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  5. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was my SWAG on it, with absolutely no basis for or right to making a guess. Honestly, I think that building a rig like that for that price range would be preferable (TO ME) than restoring an all original bike. It's kind of like building an old Jeep CJ from all the reproduction parts that are available. I would have no qualms about riding the hell out of it, knowing I was not risking a fairly rare piece of history. I would even consider upgrading certain pieces like brakes and ignition, etc. without concern for "spoiling" its originality.

gotta stop looking at these . . . :norton
  6. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    $28,500 was just for the 1937 Indian Chief. Harley went for $2700 and the 1957 Chevrolet four door went for $1400. Here's a few more pictures of the Chief from the Kiko auction website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    *sigh* Guess I'll never be able to afford an Indian.
  8. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can. Rigid Chiefs are in vogue and folks who have a skirted Chiefs who want another Chief generally look for a rigid. They didn't make nearly as many rigid Chiefs as they they made skirted Chiefs so they cost more. Plus prices are up nowadays. You can pick up a running skirted Chief for about the same price as new Harley.
  9. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
  10. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Cylinders are unique for a 1936-1937 Chief. Older clam style valve covers. Fins cut out for the valve T-Oilers. They are easy to identify since hey are marked at the base 86612 (front cylinder) 86614 (rear cylinder). These pictures are from "Nevada" Bob Clift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  11. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Here's a few more pictures of Micheal's Chief while it was in progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, Ca
  12. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Now here's Gem. A 1935 Indian Chief Circa 1971.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  13. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    A 1936 Indian Chief once owned by Steve McQueen is coming up for auction in Las Vegas on January 8th 2015 at the Bonhams Auction. Wonder how much it will go for?

Here's the copy from the auction site. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22125/lot/124/

The ex-Steve McQueen
    1936 Indian Chief
    Engine no. CDG9511

When it comes to bikes, Steve McQueen was initially most associated with Triumph as a result of his best friend, legendary Triumph racer and stuntman Bud Ekins. But in fact the first motorized vehicle he ever owned was an Indian. After a stint in the military he moved to New York City in the early 1950s, which is where he was introduced to acting. That old Indian had a sidecar attached and with it he terrorized the streets of Greenwich Village picking up girls along the way. Later in life, after his competitive racing started to wind down and his collection of vintage bikes started to grow, it was Indian, according to his wife, Barbi, that was his favorite marque. Of the 150-or-so motorcycles he owned throughout his life, several dozen of them were Indians. He showed particular loyalty to the brand, often seen at motorcycle and swap meets riding an Indian and/or wearing an Indian T-shirt, and he continued to collect and ride them right up to his passing in November 1980.

This Chief from McQueen's collection was sold as part of the famous 1984 McQueen Estate Auction in Las Vegas as lot 538. It comes with that auction's original certificate of authenticity, the signed bill of sale and official 1984 odometer reading statement. Left in the same condition as when it was owned by the King of Cool, this is a rare opportunity to own what is perhaps the most iconic American motorcycle owned and ridden by the most iconic American actor.

Here's an artical from gizmag on McQueen's past bikes and cars. He had the Midas touch.
    http://www.gizmag.com/steve-mcqueens-midas-touch/35365/

Steve McQueen's unrestored 1936 Indian Chief. Just as he last rode it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  14. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
  15. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
  16. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    There is a group on Facebook where people post Indian parts for sale. It's called "Indian Motocycle Parts for Sale". Some really interesting pictures show up from time to time. Here's what may part of what may be a 1940 (Military or Essential Use) WW2 Indian Chief posted by Savvas Makris. Note: engine "CDO" is 1940.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/209034145924398/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that's a lot of road grime. Priceless!

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  17. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    Mounting the floorboards on a 37 Indian Chief takes a bit more thought than the later plunger floorboards. I measured the location of brackets on a high point restored 1938 chief and laid out my floor boards the same way. Hope I'm right.

[​IMG]

I drilled hole in he floorboards and plug welded them to the bracket from the top and ground flat. I suspect they were spot welded at the factory.
    You can see the discoloration from the plug welds.

[​IMG]

Here's how I laid out my brackets. 3 1/4" from the front of the floorboard to the forward bracket.

[​IMG]

2 1/8" from the back of the floorboard to the back bracket.

[​IMG]

Note the location of the brackets on the later plunger floorboards is fixed from the factory. All you need to do it to screw it together.

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  18. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    I was in the Phoenix area this past weekend. Fellow Indian Guy and Advrider inmate Christopher Nocella suggested I check out the Arizona Antique & Classic Motorcycle Enthusiasts, 31st Annual Antique & Classic Motorcycle Show and Swap Meet this past weekend. Here's a few pictures from the show.

[​IMG]

1948 Indian Chief

[​IMG]

Bob Orr's 1932 Indian Four.

[​IMG]

Another Indian Four

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edison Magneto on a 1948 Indian Chief. 1948 was the last year for the Magneto Option and it is a bit rare.

[​IMG]

Edison Spltdorf, Type RM, Spec number 04051, Serial Number 12439. Note no oiling holes in 1948 on the magneto.

[​IMG]

Mike Cane (American Motorcycle Master Restorer)

[​IMG]

Mike's Posse

[​IMG]

1946 Indian Chief with Military Fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonderful patina on this Harley Davidson Pan Head Bobber.

[​IMG]

Chris and Tom dress like Arizona locals.

[​IMG]

Myself and Chris. Note how touristy I look in the Hot Arizona Sun with jeans and boots.

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  19. kallehof

kallehof kalle

Oddometer:
    1930's Indian Chief cylinders fins are much leaner than later 40's cylinders. Here are a few details to help you identify them.

• 1934 Cylinders doesn't have fins on the exhaust port.
    • 1935-1937 are the same casting but you may see some difference the final machining for machines with T oil lines on the bottom four fins between the valves.
    • 1937 Cylinders have Two fins on the exhaust port.
    • 1938 Cylinders don't have fins on the exhaust port.
    • Casting# 85612 1935-37 Front Cylinder
    • Casting# 85614 1935-37 Back Cylinder
    • Casting# 85998 1938 Front Cylinder
    • Casting# 85996 1938 Back Cylinder
    • Casting# 92867 1939 Front Cylinder
    • Casting# 92868 1939 Back Cylinder
    [​IMG]

Left Cylinder is a from a 1938 Chief Right is from a 1935-1937 Chief.

[​IMG]

Left Cylinder is a from a 1938 Chief Right is from a 1935-1937 Chief.

[​IMG]

1938 Chief Cylinder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1938 Chief Cylinder. It is very common for cylinders to be cracked. A common place for the cylinders to crack in between the intake valve seat and the edge of the cylinder. So look carefully. The good news is that the fix is usually to install valve seats and make sure you silver solder them in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1935-1937 Cylinders with fined exhaust ports. Note the lower 4 fins trimmed between the valves. This was to allow clearance for the T-Lines for the valve oilers on 1936 and 1937 Chiefs.

[​IMG]
    1935-1937 Cylinders. When looking for cylinders watch for sunken valves. They should be a bit proud of the desk. This can be fixed with new valve seats.

[​IMG]
    1935-1937 Back Cylinder.

[​IMG]
    1935-1937 Front Cylinder.

[​IMG]
    1935-1937 Front Cylinder.

[​IMG]
    1935-1937 Back Cylinder.

Kalle Hoffman
    San Francisco, CA
  20. 2Kick

2Kick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread is right on time as I am beginning a restoration on a 1937 Indian Chief. The info on the cyl's is exspecialy timely since I need to find a set and I am not real familiar with the pre-war stuff.