1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Kamloops Lake

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bill 310, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any Kamloop-ians have information on the lake?

Fishing

Rough or calm

Minimum boat size 16-18-20 feet

Is it busy in the summer

Problems with the lake?

Local knowledge
  2. 150miler

150miler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's never been a popular recreational lake. Cold, large water level changes with the seasonal runoff, can blow up some good waves at times, railways along both shores, pulp mill, city sewage lagoons and city dump at east end. It's still scenic and some great riding around it but it's not the Okanagan. If it is fishing you are after there are lots of smaller lakes in the area that are much better. Sounds like someone is trying to sell you lakeshore property. Hopefully I didn't paint too grim a picture, I still love the area. :-)
    Lurkerlou likes this.
  3. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pretty much nailed it.

If it was anywhere else it would be a gem but there’s so many other bodies of water , better ones , in the same proximity to Kamloops.
    bcbullet likes this.
  4. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    The biggest hurdle as already mentioned is that there is a railroad down each shoreline. If not for that, it would be as bad as Kelowna and similar areas.

I actually like it. Yes, a bit cold but clean clean clean. I don't recall the numbers, but I believe that the lake turns over its water about every six weeks or thereabouts versus the Okanagan which is measured in years. Pollution has dwindled to almost nothing over a decade ago since regulations cleaned up everything at the head of the lake. We actually live on the river downstream and we have gone from slimy brown rocks and brownish water at times to some of the cleanest valley bottom river water around.

Another nice thing is that depending on your boat, you can literally be on the same body of water from Lytton to the Shuswap. Plenty of places on shore to camp etc. as well. The absolute best aspect though is the almost complete lack of usage. It has gotten a bit busier in the past couple years, but you would be hard pressed to count 20 boats on it during the nicest summer day.
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you mean Lytton to Shuswap Lk, (shoreline perimeter, 342km) Sicamous to Mara to Shuswap River, to....well....ALMOST to Mabel Lake, 'cept for those little 'ole rapids.
    gpfan likes this.
  6. 150miler

150miler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I grew up downstream of the lake and I remember the river going from clear blue/green to murky brown after the pulp mill was built but they improved their effluent system in the '70s and it is almost back to what it used to be.

It will never be the Shuswap even if the Tobiano developers tried to make it out to be. :D
    shuswap1 likes this.
  7. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had gone up to see a place some time ago and it had remained a topic in our dinner talk. Another one had just come up for sale. The answers from the collective just gave us the background and local knowledge that we needed to be 100% comfortable in our initial No-Go decision.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My dad fished damn near every lake and stream while living in Kamloops for most of his life.

He said that lake was only good for sailing, if the sound of the trains didn't bother you much. If I had his old topo maps, I'd share them. Fishing gold. No idea who got those.
  9. Tacobul

Tacobul n00b

Oddometer:
    "I think you mean Lytton to Shuswap Lk, (shoreline perimeter, 342km)"

It would have to be 1342 km . Its no puddle :y0!
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know its frowned upon but a jet boat could run the "Chucks"
  12. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a look at the rapids/chucks 2 years back and while I suspect I could get one of our jetskis through I think the risk of losing the craft would be real, an upset would put it onto rocks very quickly. Not worth the risk to me. I've seen a jet boat run upstream from the mouth of Scotch Creek, which I suspect is a serious no-no and he cleared areas where the water was running fast and as shallow as 3-4", didn't even cover my feet! Amazing where they can go.
    Cal likes this.
  13. Tacobul

Tacobul n00b

Oddometer:
  14. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That site has a wealth of local info. Cinnemousun Narrows, great spot, good pit stop on the way to Anstey as well.