1. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe not the ideal bike, but it could probably make it through everything granted with a few more scratches here and there from gravel ;-)
  2. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm doubting I'll be able to make it. But thanks for letting us know about it.
  3. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, we have not set up the dates yet, but we'll organize a weekend where we will have roadbooks and people will be able to come and try their hand at it on their bikes. Once we have the dates nailed down, I'll post here.
  4. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    :-) Stolen from the basement..

zDollar Bill likes this.
  5. DeepBarney

Oddometer:
    Oh okay, I thought I saw i it was set for the 13th. Think a mediocre rider on an XR250R would vbe able to keep up?
  6. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you are right we have a presentation set up for the 13th to help people understand how it works, how you navigate, get them interested in this different way of riding, etc. and give some pointers in how to get started. The ride at a later date will let people trying to navigate for themselves... Which answer your other point, with road book navigation, everybody can go at their own pace, you do not have to eat dust all day long if you do not want to. Sometimes people decide to follow each others, but other time they space themselves out to stay dust free...
    DeepBarney likes this.
  7. DeepBarney

Oddometer:
    Alright, good to know. I'll stay tuned.
  8. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can recommend both the presentation and the ride. Luc did a great job with both last year IIRC. And the ride took us to some way out of the way riding with even some near-bushwhacking. It was well worth it and a lot of fun.
  9. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:

Whoever knows they are coming please post here for refreshment planning and if you want to make sure you can sit bring a chair. I'll bring a few but I will not have enough.

[​IMG]
  10. LeeSch

LeeSch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there. I've thoroughly enjoyed all your previous presentations and don't want to miss this one. I should be able to strap some kind of chair to the VFR.
  11. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday we had the presentation in Topeka where we explained the principles of navigating like they do in the Dakar rally. Now onto the next step, on May 4th we will have a refresher and then people will leave to go and practice on a route we put together. Last year was a success so this year, you should join in the fun.

Date May 4th
    Time: 9:00 am for refresher or 10 if you just want to go on the ride

If you want to participate, you need to let me know so that I can either email you a pdf file that you can print for your roadbook or upload to your ipad/phone if you are using that as your navigation tool. Or last but not least because some of you may just want to enjoy the ride without worrying about navigating, I can email you a gpx file that you can upload to your GPS and leave after all the rally enthusiasts have taken off to sharpen their skills.

Here are a few pictures from last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. westtek

westtek n00b

Oddometer:
    I would like to participate in the navigation practice route.
  13. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple more pics from last time:
    IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG
    yosso and katbeanz like this.
  14. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM, mainly I need an email address to send you the road books

Thanks

Luc
  15. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. westtek

westtek n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you know the approximate distance of the route yet?
  17. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is 228 km (about 142 miles)
    Fuel range is 151 km (slightly less than 100 miles)

It leaves from Randolph Gas station and returns to Randolph Gas station. with a gas/ lunch stop possible 76 km in.

Those numbers should not change much if any after I do a last run through it.
  18. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, lake is higher that I thought, I had to make a few small changes.

BTW I may have a digital set up to loan if somebody wants to try navigation

Luc
  19. westtek

westtek n00b

Oddometer:
    Can you suggest a print/printer setup to print sheets/rolls? I have a laser printer that, as far as I know, doesn't print rolls. Is taping sheets together typical? I have used the narrow enduro roll charts since the 70's. The roll charts were always supplied to us at an event.
  20. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is not much that can be done beside printing and taping or glue sticking it together. I typically, print then cut to width and tape... That part is definitely not a lot of fun. I have heard of somebody using an older Epson printer with Butcher paper roll and printing them that way, but I have not tried it. Official race, paying events, yes they do not want you to have the roabook ahead of time so they provide it to you the day prior in a roll. This year at the Sonora rally the roadbook came in 3-5 long pieces that you still had to tape together. If you are using an narrow enduro roll chart, I can create a PDF file with that setting to email it to you so that it works better for you than trying to shrink the rally size roadbooks