Kartman´s 660 LC4 Rally Replica

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by *kartman*, Apr 21, 2014.

1. julien

julien Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent setup for the street legal low beam

Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk
  2. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Heading towards Hardalpitour tomorrow !

09e288cb2e2f3d93c7e8ff67e8e9770f.jpg
    b86fe7f852bd4847e2c0fb008eccc722.jpg
  3. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Some impressions from my week around the Hardalpitour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. julien

julien Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woah !

Amazing pics !
    kartman likes this.
  5. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Indeed! Liguria, eh? Seems like a fascinating part of the world.
  6. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but, I'm surprised how similar it looks to the San Juans of southwest Colorado - which is to say, amazing.

And the bike looks marvelous too! I bet it draws a lot of admirers at an event like that.
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kartman,
    Read your entire thread today during a boring business conference, with interest.

A few months ago I picked up a 2003 660 ridden by Australian Andy Caldecott in Dakar in 2004.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a-660.1269464/

Resized_20170902_100733.jpeg
    20171015_153507.jpg
    It's fairly clean and original, but the ICO isn't working and the CPC fittings are a bit hit and miss. The RH muffler had taken a hit and its currently off getting repaired. Laughed at your comment re the noise..
    Did have the factory 700 motor fitted at some point , hence the rear tanks are different with greater capacity as the battery resides under the carb.
    Looks like I'll get the metal replacement QR fittings, and at some stage give it a full tear down and restoration. As these factory bikes are more rare here in Aus than probably anywhere else in the world parts are near impossible to come by. Lee Palmer exc Ktm mechanic and Dakar competitor will do the mechanicals as I sure don't have your skills.
    I do have the Dakar tank shrouds and low front guard ( in the pic above) and know where the Dakar fairing shroud is.
    A great read, thanks for posting.
    Cheers
    Richo.
    Jorugburn, RussellM, joe cool and 3 others like this.
  8. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Awesome find Richo :) Congrats !
    And thanks a lot for your praise.

In another german LC4 board I have a thread with about 75 pages and more detailed information so far ^^
    Funny (or sad) fact: I'm actually offering the bike for sale and already have a deposit from an australian guy.
    He just needs to finish the import permission papers and then we can get the bike shipped to australia.
    richo360 likes this.
  9. Coen

Coen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey! I've seen your bike for sale on the mobile.de website!

Good luck with the sale, she's a beauty!
  10. Wonkyconk

Wonkyconk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I loved the look of that bike, got to be one of the best examples around.
    What's next kartman? Any more 660 Rallye in your plans?
  11. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    No real plans yet, just a lot of ideas. The idea of selling it is just because of the background that somebody else may could have more time to ride it as it deserves. It's in fact a lot of money just standing in my garage the most time of the year which is a pity. On the other hand if nobody will buy it this winter, I will ride it again next year (IZI Meeting and Hardalpitour are fixed dates).

Possbile plans could be:

-sell the Rally and also my 525 EXC and my 640 Prestige SM and buy a new 500 EXC Enduro plus SM wheels and optional nav tower
    -keep the Supermoto, sell Rally and EXC and get a brand new 701 with the Omega 450 Rally kit or similar, I really like this idea except on the financial site
    -sell the Rally and buy back my old 1999 rally bike from the actual owner - I would still have a rally bike, but more liquid funds
    -sell the rally, keep the EXC and buy a cheap used 640 Adventure - back to the roots and do a bit of TET scandinavia next summer

At the moment I also offered the 525 EXC for an exchange against a 640 Adventure or similar, I'm fine with that idea and would invest the money for the 660 RR in other projects for the moment.
    richo360 likes this.
  12. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @*kartman* hey mate, I sent you a message recently, just checking you got it ? ​
  13. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    So just a small update here. The RR does still stand in my garage at the moment, as the potential buyer still hasn´t got his import permission. In the meantime my 525 EXC ist sold and for the same price I got a nice and clean 640 Adventure 2003, almost stock except full Akra :raabia and some minor improvements.

The story behind that: I want to to 4 weeks of riding through scandinavia this june, going up to the north cape offroad via the Trans Euro Trail and back through norway. So I have a still great adventure bike which will do the job, but is relatively cheap and there is also enough time to prepare it for the trip.

Now comes the clue: When telling the potential buyer my plans for the trip and that I already bought a bike because otherwise I wouldn´t have one as he´s buying the RR, he mentioned I can do the trip with the 660 and he would be patiently waiting for it as we both do for his import permission for months now.

Going north and offroad for a month on my beloved Rally Dakar Bike, what an adventure.
    It would sure still be fun on the normal LC4 Adventure, but I´m sure you´ll all get the point on how much more it does mean to do this last big trip together :wings

Let´s just hope things will turn out as expected
    KEELAYMONSTER likes this.
  14. kartman

kartman n00b

Oddometer:
    New used rocker arms with new bearings. I‘ll also mount a 660 smc camshaft and try to find a new setup for less fuel consumption in mid range for my trip to scandinavia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. JimmieDK

JimmieDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does the SMC camshaft compare to the Rallye cam in duration and lift?
  16. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    There you go :D You need to read it backwards, because the intake measurements are on the right side.
    Compared to the MSP3 rally cam and the one from Frauenschuh, the 660 SMC cam seems almost tame :lol3

nocken.jpg
    JimmieDK likes this.
  17. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Refurbished the carburetor and adjusted the jetting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And minor improvements in the tanks

[​IMG]
  18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Did it improve the km/l?
  19. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it will, first real ride this year will be this saturday, I can tell you more then.
    LocuL likes this.
  20. Danteee

Danteee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you like some compay on the TET in Sweden just write Me! Plane to to some of it during this summer on my SE 950r.
    *kartman* likes this.