Kaslo loop

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Malindi, May 17, 2004.

1. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC through Kaslo and back. See attached:
    http://www.nohorizons.net/Kaslo/Kaslo Loop.htm
    Anyone done this before? Any sideroads I need know about? I'm riding my G/S, but my buddy has a roadbike, so no dirt or heavy gravel.

Thanks for any feedback
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Hey. Yea, I have done this route but not on 2 wheels :( The scenery is great and I would think that HYW 31 and 31A would be great bike roads. There are a couple old ghosttowns and abandoned minesites on HYW 31A which runs from New Denver to Kaslo. Your buddy on the roadie wont have any problems with the ride as it is paved all the way. One road you might consider is the road leading up to the old Phoenix minesite just out of Greenwood. This road (Phoenix rd.) heads up over Knob hill and meets up to hyw 3 again on the other side. Part of this road is paved as well (the nice twisty part) Another road you might consider is the Westside rd just outside of Kelowna. It runs north to Vernon from Westbank and its a great ride. Of course this one is kinda dependant on which route to Kaslo you plan on taking.

Anyway, I am sure you won't be disappointed with the roads.
  3. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm taking the Strom out that way this coming weekend. The 31A between Kaslo and New Denver is a great piece of pavement...if you can call it pavement. The road is getting pretty beat up, but is a popular one for the sportbikes. The big trailies eat it up a lot better though.

Closer to the New Denver side of the 31A is a ghost town of Sandon. You have to take a few km's of hardpacked gravel to get in. A buddy on a streetbike won't have any problems.

All the way around the loop (Kaslo-New Denver-Nelson-Balfour) you are circumnavigating the Kookanee Glacier (Ding-Dong, Dare to Dream Arnold, dare to dream..). There are numerous gravel roads that head into the park from all sides. There are some cool caves on the east side you can head up to and do some amature spelunking (they have a tour guide).

If you hit Kaslo, I recommend taking the 31 North to Meadow Creek. The pavement ends at Meadow Creek, roughly 40km north of Kaslo, but that pavement is one heck of a fun roller coaster. From here it is gravel and you can round up all the way to Galena Bay where the pavement starts again and you can head back to Nakusp.

If time permits, hop the ferry (free) at Balfour across the lake. The 3A that heads down to Creston is the #1 rated Destination Highways road in BC. A great ride. Also, on the Kootenay Bay side of the lake you can head north on a twistie piece of pavement to Roindel. From here there are some forestry roads that head north to some nice bays and such. Not for a street ride.

If you do head down the 3A to Creston, hit the 3 and take the pass over to Salmo. The road is not insanely twisty or anything, but the pass is magnificent. You go soo high.

Any questions, let me know.

BTW, I couldn't see the map you posted.
  4. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, about the West Side road Mercenary posted...if you hop that up to Vernon, then head across to Needles on the #6, you are in for one heck of a treat. The #6 is a great road...very fun.

Take the ferry across at Needles, then you can head to Nakusp and down to New Denver and across to Kaslo.
  5. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Nelson/Kaslo BC - What a beautiful area, and good m/c roads too!

If your camping check out Davis Creek provincial park north of Kaslo. It's right on Lake Kootenay and one of my favorite improved spots. And say Hi to Heather, the camp host.
  6. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything tokenboy said and I would add that I would not miss out on the Nakusp ,New Denver ,Kaslo,Slocan roads for anything.I have done this a bunch of times and the riding is so good that I take a motel in Nakusp and then just ride every permutation I can for several days.I have done this on both the GSA and the GSXR1000 and can honestly say this is the best pavement riding I have ever had.Go early or late in the season and you will have the place to yourself.Your cheeks will be sore from holding that big grin for so long.
  7. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what we can expect in terms of accomodations between Kaslo and Fauquier?
    Thanks,
    K
  8. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Just up from Fauquier/Needles is Nakusp, there are a lot of places to stay there. In Kaslo there are also a few places. I'd check out Ainsworth Hot Springs. Ainsworth is just a few miles south of Kaslo. There are a couple of motels and B&B's (and the hot springs :thumbs). At Balfour I also recall seeing a bike-only campground. Sorry, can't remember the name though.

In short, you won't shouldn't have a problem finding a place to stay between Needles and Kaslo.
  9. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks (:thumbs)
  10. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always stay at the Canyon Court Motel in Nakusp 250 265 3737-clean rooms and the rates are reasonable.Its right on the edge of town -so its quiet and next to the cop shop so the bikes safe.
  11. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Ainsworth HS is terrific. My wife and I love that place.

Jon
  12. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  13. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just before Ainswort HS there is a road up to the Cody Caves - beautiful DS road, straight up to the summit. awesome view of the lake. Also if time permits take the road up to the Kokanne (sp) glacier, another nice 20k DS road - but heavier traffic.

The whole area is great - if you want to see what Nelson is like rent Roxanne with Steve Martin as it was filmed there

Al
  14. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    What they all said - we did that route last year. Ainsworth HS is excellent (we landed there last fall after a cooooold day in the hills), and they're very bike-friendly.

Take the 3A to Creston - well worth the ride.
  15. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    :thumb for Ainsworth HS. Its a great, relaxing soak. Kaslo is a neat little community as well. If you are looking for something a bit more urban, Nelson is a fair size town with alot of history. Heck, the whole area is great.
  16. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    You're making me homesick with this thread!

Lots of good suggestions so far. Make sure you don't miss the following stretches of road: New Denver to Slocan (and it's still a good road south of there), New Denver to Kaslo, Kaslo to Balfour, and Kaslo to Meadow Creek. Also, there are some great paved backroads between hwy 20 and the border in northern WA. Going by the map you've posted, I'd suggest crossing the border at Midway, then follow the road from Toroda to Chesaw, take the detour to Molson (check out the old buildings full of old stuff, pictures, etc.--really neat), then head through Oroville and on to Nighthawk. Nighthawk is a 9-5 crossing, and Midway may be the same, but I doubt there will be a line up.
  17. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    IF you are ever to go thru Grand Forks in your travels...
    a nice little one hour twisty road/loop on Granby road is fantastic.
    watch out for deer
    they are like rats and pidgeons
    all over the place
  18. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Does that road follow the river just as you enter town from the East?
  19. Urban Surfer

Urban Surfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the hot springs in Nakusp to be a lot better than Ainsworth. They don't have the caves there but the facility is a lot nicer and there is a lot less people. But what the hell do them both. :thumb
  20. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    BeeCeeGS,

Coming from the east, turn right onto Granby Rd. (just before you cross the little bridge) follow until an interection that goes left onto North Forks Rd. This road will take you back to Grand Forks.

But, adventurers like ourselves should really turn right at that intersection and go on to Burrell Creek. From there, you can continue on gravel to Edgewood, or reverse and return back to Grandforks via the North Forks Rd.

Kind of a fun side trip if your in the area.

Manxman