Kawasaki EX 500 Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by 11motos, May 7, 2019.

1. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    You should be fine if you take the time to maintain the stock vacum pressure, but once you change it on the CVKs you are into a lot of trial and error to get it running right, i went for slide carbs but thats not for everybody and was worth it in the long run but some work involved.
    Exhaust, could you not make an under seat Can of some kind with heat shield ? Is there enough wheel to can clearance there for the travel?
    What about a ER 5 two into One pipe just run a single pipe up under the frame.
    11motos likes this.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I am more interested in torque than squeezing a coiple of extra ponies here and there. I studied the jetting and like you mentioned there is little gain in exchange for lots of tunning work. That is why I am just going to lift the intake and simply going to put a transfer between exhaust pipes around 12 inches or so but then end with a 2 to 1 on the right side. The idea is to run like the klr500 but a smaller and lighter muffler.
    We cannot put anything under the seat. It has to be cut out on the side panel way in the back and with a heat shield. That is the theory at least. It is barebones now so I will have to try places and then rebuild around it. But if I have to put a muffler pointing up ktm style then that will be ok too.
    The stock pipes are too heavy and cumbersome for this mission.
    Even the smallest things are heavy. I bet the rear light and bracket is at least 2 lbs.
    The blinkers have been discarded so they will not interfere with the muffler. I ordered a set of small led ones
    JagLite likes this.
  3. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the mods throw a wrench in the carb tuning, you can shim the needles up with tiny washers. You can also drill the air equalizer hole in the bottom of the slide to quicken throttle response.
  4. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Many moons ago i had a very rusty very neglected Honda CB175 i bought from a cousin of mine in newcastle, it wads quite low miles but had sat outside for a couple of years. the exhausts were rotten and when i re commissioned it as a back up work bike, it was not long until the pipes blew They had rotted from the inside out only the chrome plate as thin as tinfoil was holding them together. A pal donated ONE old BSA A10 golden flash silencer with a big dent in one side but solid as a rock. i chopped the silencer in two and slid the narrow front section up into the rear section and where they touched i did a tidy butt weld all the way around with Oxy acetylene the chrome was history but it was solid. I Cut the front pipes up Veed then out and again welded and cut and welded until i ended up with a Y shaped two into one that missed the down tube on the frame and exited in one pipe up the righht side of the bike. I fitted the welded BSA silencer on a flat bar bracket, and amazingly it ran very well indeed. it sounded Nice as well without being loud at all. i ran that bike for nearly two years like that. One morning i went to work stopped in Berwick at the fuel station and as i was paying for the fuel a Recovery truck drove in sliding around on the ice hit the Honda and took the pdetrol pump with it. :lol2:lol2. I claimed off the guys insurance but the Insurance company would not let me retain the salvage so it was Writen off i was paid out on it and they took it away.
    A simple Y shaped home brew Front pipe worked very well on that little honda you might find your 500 does just as well with such an exhaust born out of necessity not design. :lol2
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Some of the old japs were as tough as nails. The pipes were always a weak point but one could get so much at those amazing price points.
    Even in todays expensive bikes some pipes suck ass, specially weight and bulky.
    At last your old CB had an honorable death by 'truck'. lol

I am designing the pipes preserving all the well known directives for a successful exhaust but one should not go crazy because no matter how much theory one applies or not, there has to be some room
    for failure and then adjustments will be required. The same with the suspensions. I am going to phase out the build and after simply raising the bike I am going to get a feeling for it and then try
    different settings and then perhaps decide later if I need another shock, or tire or arm. Unless some clear straight path presents itself, the rear is going to take longer once I get a chance to do some
    test rides. I do believe it would be impossible to build something on paper and then expect is going to be perfect out the gate day one. This recipe we need to design, cook and eat before we can say
    it is any good for anyone other than an exciting new project.
  6. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I wish I could help with that. I was able to a list of axle diameters for front and rear, as well as steering stem sizes, but nothing for swingarms. To be fair though, I was not looking for that kind of info.
    11motos likes this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    No worries. I think I can use it but I want to make sure of the disk situation otherwise I might be buying 2 new brake groups.
  8. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I am adjusting the valves. When I go to pull one of the coolants coupling tubes I find that the one who
    did maintenance last time was probably in a hurry.
    Interestingly the o-ring didn't leak so No "Harmadone"

Check out the art work before I sctoch brite the part...

upload_2019-5-30_21-17-49.jpeg
    JagLite and TonyKZ1 like this.
  9. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Them there o rings need a lube before insertion!:D
    JagLite likes this.
  10. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Whoever Einstein "mechanic" serviced this last time I am not sure how they were able to put this in w/o major resistance.
    I guess some don't mind rough penetration! lol . there is a trick to make sure this is going in smoothly and w/o moving from the proper position.
    Once I clean this piece of art and put a new proper o ring I will post it.
  11. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I am going to try with the oem brake first but otherwise I am looking at a larger supermoto brake group. The front wheel I ordered is 19" not 17.
    Tire wise, I am looking at 110-90/19 in the front and 130-90/17 in the back.

upload_2019-5-31_20-30-39.png

How are the shinkos 804? Or perhaps I should try the 705 this year until I get to tune the bike for more serious off road.

upload_2019-5-31_20-37-30.png
    JagLite likes this.
  12. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I put the 804/5 combo on my bike, and I've been very pleased with them so far. Unfortunately I haven't had too much opportunity to test them off road yet. On the road, they feel really good until I slow down under 15mph, then they feel a bit lumpy.
    11motos likes this.
  13. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is good to know. I see overall positive reviews on performance for the money.
    I just learned thr vendor canceled my wheel order due to a stock problem.:(
    In order to keep things in motion I am going to use the stock rims with 70-30 tires that I was going to have done anyway to switch depending on the mission. Like some guys who have a supermoto set and then another set of spoke wheels with knobby tires.
    I am playing with differnent shocks and it looks an SV shock gives me about 2 inches wo touching anything else. But it is on the stiff side so I am going to machine a link and dogbones to get the links 1" closer to the shock and at the same time raise 1 kore inch wo altering thegeometry that much. Another inch comes from the tire alone moving to a 130-90R17 from a 130-70R17.
    The sprokets have also to go up to 17-49 to compensate the final ratio.
    Overall I am looking at somerhing like a 1 to 2% more torque that is pretty good for what I want.
  14. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    This is the new hub I am installing.
    Is it my imagination or the Yamaha YZ front hub seems stronger than the other brands?

upload_2019-6-6_20-59-13.png
    JagLite likes this.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I am going to lace the front YZ hub to a 19"x2.15 Tusk rear rim.
    Any ideas, suggestions, considerations before I start this?
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lot of people will tell you the angle of the spoke holes in the rim are different for a front hub vs a rear hub.

I had it done. Yz250 rear to dr650 front hub. Worked a treat.
    JagLite and 11motos like this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have not ordered the spokes yet so I am going to do some research. It seems some choices are more friendly to small variations in the angle
    and like you said it should not impact the end result.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A LOT of wheel builders frown against it.

But in my case it worked well. Ymmv and all that.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Titishor

Titishor n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice. I wanna see how it turns out :D
    11motos likes this.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    @villageidiot

What you told me got me thinking and went to the cave man with micrometer in hand and starting looking at parts.

The idea here is to both:

A) understand the angle of both the hub and rim.
    B) Make sure any differences do not create a situation where the nipples do not seat properly and then creating
    lateral stresses on the spokes themselves.

So the type of nipple and the corresponding place where the seat is fundamental to make sure we are not creating a problem.
    I understand why people would not recommend mixing thing but as soon as we understand tolerances and how things line up
    then it should not be a problem and probably while you didn't run into any issues.

upload_2019-6-16_15-45-13.png

I am not expert by any means and that is why I am taking my time to analyze things so at least they work on paper before I get started lacing.
    Because if they do not even work on paper there is a much higher chance they will not work after they are made.

Thoughts?
    JagLite likes this.